Anyone ever lost faith?

jumpwin

• Members

I asked myself the EXACT same question a few weeks ago. Even Googled the subject and found myself here on HC, reading a similar thread by BoneNut. I started to craft a response, but couldn't really express myself too well at the moment.

The nutshell: I've been playing since I was 10 years old. Did the wannabe rockstar thing in my 20's, studied formally and did the church music thing in my 30's, and now in my 40's, I find myself with a room full of expensive guitars and amps that no one gets to enjoy.

I made a craigslist ad to find a hobby/cover band, but found that
most
respondents are kind of frightening. They are my age, but they have trashed their families thanks to their habits/hobbies, still getting drunk/high at rehearsals, hauling gear at 2am, smokin' a pack a day, chasing sleazy waitresses, fostering severe alcoholism and talking about how "all music today is just crap." I'm sorry to sound judgemental, but that's not what I want to be around at this stage of life.

Yet playing guitar alone in my living room gets old after several years. So after a while, what's the point? If I'm honest with myself, the last few years, I've had more fun buying guitars that I wanted as a kid than actually
playing
guitar.

Don't get discouraged with the {censored}ty people you have met to jam with! There are people like you out there to play with. It just takes a lot of time and screening to find them. It took me 3 to 4 months to put together the group I am jamming with now. A whole bunch of bull{censored} reply's and flakes, but I finally found a solid group of people with good additudes. Just still trying to find a regular Bass player which is no easy thing where I am at.

• Members

If you don't have to do it for a living then take a break from it. There's no point in doing something that doesn't make you happy and feeling like you're forcing yourself to do it only makes it worse.

One of two things will happen; you'll either find something else that makes you happy or you'll miss it and you'll be reinvigorated. Neither of those is a bad situation.

• Members

Ever since I picked up the guitar as a teenager it's something that I've put a pretty good amount of effort and time into, but I simply play for my own enjoyment. There are certainly months where I'm more into it than others, and I might go a week or two without really playing here and there. But I always get the urge and come back. It's normal to wax and wane in your passion for your hobbies, but if it's only for fun and not paying the bills - don't force it.

You can't make yourself have fun doing something. You either enjoy it or you don't. There's no shame if it's just not for you anymore. That said, you may find you need a break - divert some attention to some other hobbies and pursuits, hang on to a guitar or two, and maybe they'll come calling again.

• Members

Yeah, I got burned out in 95. Had played non stop touring the country since 88 and I was just spent. 99% of that was because of other people. It is just really hard to keep a four or five way marriage going that long where everyone has strong opinions, egos,, and ideas and not everyone always sees eye to eye. And those are at good times. I had really just had enough of people and not so much music, so I quit everything except playing writing and recording at home, went to school, got a biology degree, got out of school, ran a company for seven years, then got sucked back into another band. It was fresh, new and fun again, and now about four years and close to 1000 shows later, is still fun, still feels like we are on the way up, everyone still seeing eye to eye and getting along so far.

I just do my job and enjoy what I have when I have it because a band that stays together more than a few years is just really rare and I expect the thing to end abruptly at any time, it's just the way things are, so as long as it is still here, and stays fun, I'll stick with it. Of course the money is very important IF you are trying to do it for a living, but it is way too stressful and too much of a grind and way to risky to try to make a living at it if it is at least not fun. The day the shine starts wearing off this band, I'll start considering my options for leaving. And I fully expect it to. I just don't know if that will be next month or five years from now but I do expect it is inevitable.

Meanwhile, I will still be me, still be my own entity, my own brand and will carry on.

It is really almost never music that is the problem in working with other people. It is the other people themselves, so you have to decide to what degree you are going to let that effect your personal relationship with music itself.

If you look at bands and good working relationships with other musicians as temporary and fleeting, maybe you will be better able to enjoy them when the times are good, and much more able to accept it and move on when they are not.

It works for me.

When the band I am in runs it's course, I will probably take a break for a while, do some writing and recording, and eventually find another great situation that I don't expect will last forever either.

It's just the way it is.

And for all the young guns out there looking to try to make a living with music, this is almost certainly your fate as well. Realize you will most likely be in a lot of different musical situations over the years, and you will work with dozens and dozens of other people over the years. These people will be both the best and worst parts of your careers. Be prepared for that. It is just the way it is.

One of your best posts Dave. Very true. Dealing with other people is the hardest thing about bands and it's true, it's all fleeting. I'm content to play and record at home where it's MY way or the Highway, for better or worse. I occasionally miss another person('s) input but by and large, I'm happiest solo. I may take an occasional break of about a week, maybe two, but playing guitar is basically "Who I am." I'll play until it's time to move on to the next world.

• Members

Not usually. I play because it's fun. If it stops being fun, I don't play (which hasn't happened for a while). Then it starts being fun again.

this.

I also try some Phil X demos.

If that doesn't spark something, I just take the break.

Had some issues during the past year that took away the motivation for long periods but now those are past, it is gradually coming back again.

• Members

Sure I lose faith....every time I pick up my Guitar!

From my perspective, you have a ton to be happy about, good enough and talented enough and work-hard-able enough to be in a band, that people watch and enjoy. Thats so cool to a bedroom wannabe hack like me.

Sure, the personal melodrama sucks, but that can be fixed. Next band, make sure you're getting in with folks of a like mind and atitude Rspectful, friendly, fun/hobby/passtime guys. Not primadonna lead vocalist abused his bandmembers types :)

Keep the faith.

• Members

First of all, we all change as we get older and time marches on. Priorities change over time. I don't think I would ever quit playing but I've never played in a band so I've not faced playing with those who can't keep their ego to themselves. But if playing was my favourite thing to do, I could see it getting replaced with other things down the road. It wouldn't end but it wouldn't be the #1 any longer.

• Members

I play music for fun. If I find myself in a situation that is not or is no longer fun I remove myself from that situation.

Just for comparison, when I'm at work and I'm in a situation that is not fun, I am obligated to deal with it all the same. The fact that I am compensated financially for that makes it worth the effort.

Music is fun. I don't make any money playing it but I don't care because I'm enjoying myself. Just like somebody going fishing, or playing golf on the weekend, I grab a LP or a Strat and start ripping. :)

• Members

came to say what burgess said.

my band of three years - which i loved dearly - played our farewell show last weekend. lots of people were asking what imma do next and my response was always "i think imma just take a little break." right now, without them ... i'm just not feeling the motivation to put the time in to it.

but considering the weirdass, random and awesome opportunities that have fallen in my lap here in hollywood ... who knows what could happen?

• Members

Nah, no reason to be so dramatic. I've got a decent job, and I just play music for fun; if it's not fun, I play less of it.
:idk:
I mean, if you really want to keep playing music, take a minute to figure out what exactly would bring you joy. If not (or if you can't find an answer), don't put so much pressure on yourself.

As an example, here's my story from the past six months. Back in December, my original band broke up. Bummer. Soon after, my acoustic duo started taking off. The acoustic duo turned into a full funk/pop band, and I picked up bass for that; then I saw a really inspiring original act in need of a bass player, and was lucky enough to join up with them. The acoustic duo band is getting ready to disband at the end of May - people are moving. At the same time, I've found some guys to help me re-form my original band. All the while, I've been working on writing for a project with the girlfriend. It's just a cycle, and you'll find what you're looking for if you let it find you as well - no reason for drama or hard feelings.

Regarding selling off your gear, I say you should never be afraid to sell. It's just stuff, and if you feel like it's unnecessary, there's no reason to hoard it. I've bought and sold tons of gear, and almost all of it could be easily acquired again; if not, there's plenty of gear out there that I haven't tried.
:)

You are so reasonable............and wise.

• Members

but considering the weirdass, random and awesome opportunities that have fallen in my lap here in hollywood ... who knows what could happen?

Chances are getting better by the week that you might end up being the next guitarist for G'n'FR.

• Members

Not so much myself, but for my kids, whether to really encourage them or push them musically. I never had an expectation of rich or famous,etc. I feel sort of bad when young people tell me they are in an awesome band, and they are gonna "make it" mostly because so much of it derives from timing, access to resources and contacts and not so much from talent, uniqueness and work ethic. So with my boys, I tend to go along with but not push when they express this desire. I don't want them to be starving musicans so to speak. Inthe end, I think you have to want to play for the love of it, and if the success side is meant to be, it will happen. Sometimes a break can be just what you need to test the depth of your love for music.

• Members

I've been playing for 19 years. I recently quit the band I was playing with, there was nothing wrong with it, in fact the guys were a dream to play with, but there was something missing.

Then I went to see Caspar Brotzmann Massaker play last Friday. It was a massive wake-up call. It's prompted me to sell most of my gear and start again.

Just one of those guitar performances where you realise how high the bar can be set and made me wonder what the hell I've been playing at all this time.

A Strat, three pedals and a world of adventure.

Not the show I was at, but it should demonstrate what I mean:

[video=youtube;NcPOhQ_cFXw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcPOhQ_cFXw

• Members

The band split was a massive smack in the face, especially as I was the the one who took the frontmans' rubbish acoustic lullabies and turned them into something resembling a song worth hearing. Maybe it's because after all these years jumping from one musical escapade to another I find myself a little lost for direction. I know people are saying if it's not fun don't do it. That's like telling a smack addict to stop. It isn't easy. I've had a guitar by my side longer than I've had pubic hair. The guitar was there before marriage and child. It's been a trusty friend when feeling low and needing to vent anger or pain.

Maybe I've played it too much?

I feel real guilty about wanting to give it up.

• Members

I was in an original band when I just couldn't tolerate my singer's antics and attitude.

Driving 50+ miles to and from rehearsal and picking up my bass player and writing/arranging the material wasn't enough.

We were having one of those {censored} rehearsals and my singer goes on the warpath.

She asks me, "why are you here?".............In a split second, I turn off my amp and tell her in so many words, "it's over!"

On the way home, my bass player asks me why I took so long to pull the plug?

That was about 15 years ago.

Now, I play for the paying gig and try to avoid schmuck musicians....and if they're schmucks on a gig, it's my last gig with them.

I guess I didn't learn from when I was in another original band where we were going to do a showcase for Principle Mgmt (U 2's management co/at least then) and the other guitar player backs out and kills the opportunity. I haven't spoken to him since.