Anyone ever lost faith?

jumpwin

• Members

Has anyone ever questioned why they still bother to play guitar?

I've been playing almost 20 years, been in many bands, owned many guitars and been involved in music in one way or another for all my adult life.

I've just quit a band due to an egotistic frontman who treated his band members as low rate session musicians. I now find myself asking why I do it. I gave up grandeur images of selling my ass to rock 'n' roll some time ago and it has since been a hobby/social/bit of fun.

But alas, I find myself loosing my passion. I've put all my music gear up for sale, save for an electric and an acoustic. Even they haven't seen the light of day for over a month, and I used to play every day.

Where religious folk turn to their church and peers when faith is waning, I ask you guys & gals. Have you ever lost faith? Question why you do it? and what did you do to revive your interest and passion for what you once loved?

• Members

My circumstances are slightly different, I have to play to pay the bills. I have gone through long periods however, where I didn't need to, so I didn't.

I love playing, so it's not just a job, but if I didn't have any bands/studio projects I get no pleasure at all from playing on my own at home.

If you don't feel like playing, then don't. I realised decades ago that the world would not be a significantly poorer place without my music, it's part of being an adult.

• Members

To start with I think lousy collaborations with disrespectful musicians are faith killers. It may take a while after such stupid band experiences to find the magic again. But eventually it will come again.

As to why we bother playing... You'll probably get many reasons here. Off the top of head here is what comes to mind :

- music is a "journey" through which you improve and explore, which cannot be said of some other hobbies

- guitar playing makes you part of a vast if anonymous history of expression, you "belong" to something and it belongs to everyone

- playing and composing leads one to connect with their own feeling in a constructive and communicative manner

- playing music can be fun and intense

etc

Now when you don't feel the desire to play anymore, you may consider the following :

- Have I excessively focused my playing on technique ? Is it becoming some kind of job or homework without much feeling of freedom anymore ?

- Have I given too much to someone who hasn't paid me back with a creative open-mind ?

My advice is to keep the gear you have bonded with and find joy in anything but music for a while. Let go and it will come back to you when you least expect it.

Good luck !

• Members

If I played for a living, I'd've starved to death decades ago. I play guitar because it's fun, because it's a vital form of non-verbal expression for someone who makes his living with words and because it's a serious buzz to be in a good band with nice people (as I'm currently fortunate enough to be) and combine the noise I make with the noises other people make to create music which, most of the time, other people seem to enjoy almost as much as we do. After having been in bands more or less continually between 1977 and 1995, I took a dozen-year break and didn't realise, until i was back in a band again, how much I'd missed it. Towards the end of that break, i started playing solo, then met up with a kindred soul in the form of harpmeister Buffalo Bill Smith ... and then we expanded what we did as a duo by adding a rhythm section and morphing into the first line-up of Crosstown Lightnin', a four-piece blues band ... plus jamming with other bands on harmonica or guitar and doing (very occasional) sessions.

'Stardom' isn't the issue. Neither is money, beyond a desire to at least break even. It's about playing because I love it, and because it adds something to my life which I can't get from anything else.

• Members

Sometimes you just need a break :idk:

I dropped ALL music from my life for awhile back in the early 90's. I had just gone through a bad breakup with my then-girlfriend and got completely burned out on everything musical (att, I was a full-time college student & music major at a podunk school in the middle of nowhere). I put down my trumpet (primary instrument at the time), packed up my guitars, and moved to Austin.

It was a couple of years before I played the guitar again and 6 or 7 until I so much as touched the trumpet.

• Members

I've been playing almost 20 years, been in many bands, owned many guitars and been involved in music in one way or another for all my adult life.

I've just quit a band due to an egotistic frontman who treated his band members as low rate session musicians. I now find myself asking why I do it. I gave up grandeur images of selling my ass to rock 'n' roll some time ago and it has since been a hobby/social/bit of fun.

But alas, I find myself loosing my passion. I've put all my music gear up for sale, save for an electric and an acoustic. Even they haven't seen the light of day for over a month, and I used to play every day.

Where religious folk turn to their church and peers when faith is waning, I ask you guys & gals. Have you ever lost faith? Question why you do it? and what did you do to revive your interest and passion for what you once loved?

Been there, done that, bought the teeshirt.

Bottom line is... Are you having fun? Does doing it make you happy?

If so, then do it as much as possible and enjoy it for all it's worth.

Not having fun? Does it make you unhappy and is it causing internal conflict?

If so, then {censored} it and move on to something else.

Life is short. Enjoy it. Take a bunch of pictures.

• Members

Yeah, I got burned out in 95. Had played non stop touring the country since 88 and I was just spent. 99% of that was because of other people. It is just really hard to keep a four or five way marriage going that long where everyone has strong opinions, egos,, and ideas and not everyone always sees eye to eye. And those are at good times. I had really just had enough of people and not so much music, so I quit everything except playing writing and recording at home, went to school, got a biology degree, got out of school, ran a company for seven years, then got sucked back into another band. It was fresh, new and fun again, and now about four years and close to 1000 shows later, is still fun, still feels like we are on the way up, everyone still seeing eye to eye and getting along so far.

I just do my job and enjoy what I have when I have it because a band that stays together more than a few years is just really rare and I expect the thing to end abruptly at any time, it's just the way things are, so as long as it is still here, and stays fun, I'll stick with it. Of course the money is very important IF you are trying to do it for a living, but it is way too stressful and too much of a grind and way to risky to try to make a living at it if it is at least not fun. The day the shine starts wearing off this band, I'll start considering my options for leaving. And I fully expect it to. I just don't know if that will be next month or five years from now but I do expect it is inevitable.

Meanwhile, I will still be me, still be my own entity, my own brand and will carry on.

It is really almost never music that is the problem in working with other people. It is the other people themselves, so you have to decide to what degree you are going to let that effect your personal relationship with music itself.

If you look at bands and good working relationships with other musicians as temporary and fleeting, maybe you will be better able to enjoy them when the times are good, and much more able to accept it and move on when they are not.

It works for me.

When the band I am in runs it's course, I will probably take a break for a while, do some writing and recording, and eventually find another great situation that I don't expect will last forever either.

It's just the way it is.

And for all the young guns out there looking to try to make a living with music, this is almost certainly your fate as well. Realize you will most likely be in a lot of different musical situations over the years, and you will work with dozens and dozens of other people over the years. These people will be both the best and worst parts of your careers. Be prepared for that. It is just the way it is.

• Members

I have gotten discouraged, but always find myself not being able to stop..lol...it usually is my own fault not practicing as much or the way i should due to never having enough time, but i always go right back to playing..my band situation can get frustrating if we are dealing with issues getting together or in our current state of breaking in a new drummer, who seems to be working out awesome thank god

• Members

I can't comment on the band stuff but as far as waxing and waning interest that is a big thing right now for me. I'm a bedroom player. I don't think I have the skill to play in a band. I'm older and started later so I don't have the ability or flexibility to play hours on end to get significantly better. Originally when I first started playing all I wanted to do was play a few campfire songs, that was going to be enough. But then it wasn't and I wanted more because it as fun. After a number of hiccups I eventually found my way to the electric and this website (which is why I have 3 electrics and 2 amps :eek:) and was a having a lot of fun. But lately that changed a bit, and it was becoming more of a routine than fun. I went away on vacation for 2 weeks and thought I'd be back enjoying playing but it just seemed like I was playing the same old thing. I thought this article was right on for me Why I quit playing guitar

Everyone is going to be a bit different in why they play but I think for most of us it comes down to loving to make and hear music whether it's a simple chord progression that has special meaning to you or being able to play Petrucci note for note. If you lose the love you won't enjoy playing. Right now I'm off on a mission to rekindle that since I do love playing and I have to accept my limitations and find things that don't make it feel too much like work. I know I find that again and so I'll keep playing. Ultimately I've never played for anyone but me and so long as I'm ok with what I'm doing and I still (slowly) learning I'll keep at it

• Members

I sold everything off at one point. I had financial problems and had a band (that I put everything into) disintergrate. I had lost my love of guitar, or so I thought. It took me a year before I could afford to have a guitar again. It was the worst year of my life. I will never sell everything off again. I will at least keep a small practice amp and one electric.

• Members

I can't comment on the band stuff but as far as waxing and waning interest that is a big thing right now for me. I'm a bedroom player. I don't think I have the skill to play in a band. I'm older and started later so I don't have the ability or flexibility to play hours on end to get significantly better. Originally when I first started playing all I wanted to do was play a few campfire songs, that was going to be enough. But then it wasn't and I wanted more because it as fun. After a number of hiccups I eventually found my way to the electric and this website (which is why I have 3 electrics and 2 amps
:eek:
) and was a having a lot of fun. But lately that changed a bit, and it was becoming more of a routine than fun. I went away on vacation for 2 weeks and thought I'd be back enjoying playing but it just seemed like I was playing the same old thing. I thought this article was right on for me
Why I quit playing guitar

Everyone is going to be a bit different in why they play but I think for most of us it comes down to loving to make and hear music whether it's a simple chord progression that has special meaning to you or being able to play Petrucci note for note. If you lose the love you won't enjoy playing. Right now I'm off on a mission to rekindle that since I do love playing and I have to accept my limitations and find things that don't make it feel too much like work. I know I find that again and so I'll keep playing. Ultimately I've never played for anyone but me and so long as I'm ok with what I'm doing and I still (slowly) learning I'll keep at it

In terms of "don't have the skill to play out" depending on what you want to do that might not factor in. There are plenty of not amazing guitar players i see in bands (myself included) and if you want to imprive, you'll improve much faster when you're in that scenario.

• Members

A couple of times I've gotten pretty discouraged and stopped playing for a while. They both coincided with bad band break-ups. The first time, I decided to take up playing drums and persued that. It still gave me a creative outlet, and actually gave me more options band-wise, as the playing field isn't as crowded for decent drummers as it is for guitarists. The last time was a few years ago. It was a really nasty band break-up that ended up in a couple of broken friendships. It really turned me off to playing for a while. I always get back into it though. It's in my blood. I'm not one to play for the sake of playing, just by myself. I need to be involved in a project (recording, band, or even just a regular jam) or I'm just not happy.

So, I guess my advice is either to find something to inspire you like learning to play a new type of music or a new instrument. If you've never done home recording, maybe that interests you and will give you inspiration to play? Or just put it aside for a while. If it's meant to be, and the music's in your blood, then you'll come back to it.

• Members

Can't say I've ever lost faith, but there have been times where I needed a break. The guitar is a huge part of who I am and who I aspire to be, so it would be hard to fill that void if I were to give it up.

During my "off-periods", I've tried my hand at other things that are music related. Last year when things were a little tough, I bought a cheap piano-synth and taught myself to play it. I also acquired a free bass, which gives me a lot of enjoyment. More recently, some of my friends have become interested in learning the guitar themselves. I've become something of a guitar teacher, so it's actually given me a lot of motivation to play more and come up with fun little exercises for them to practice. They're now at a level that allows us to jam reasonably coherently, and it's great fun.

• Members

Nah, no reason to be so dramatic. I've got a decent job, and I just play music for fun; if it's not fun, I play less of it. :idk: I mean, if you really want to keep playing music, take a minute to figure out what exactly would bring you joy. If not (or if you can't find an answer), don't put so much pressure on yourself.

As an example, here's my story from the past six months. Back in December, my original band broke up. Bummer. Soon after, my acoustic duo started taking off. The acoustic duo turned into a full funk/pop band, and I picked up bass for that; then I saw a really inspiring original act in need of a bass player, and was lucky enough to join up with them. The acoustic duo band is getting ready to disband at the end of May - people are moving. At the same time, I've found some guys to help me re-form my original band. All the while, I've been working on writing for a project with the girlfriend. It's just a cycle, and you'll find what you're looking for if you let it find you as well - no reason for drama or hard feelings.

Regarding selling off your gear, I say you should never be afraid to sell. It's just stuff, and if you feel like it's unnecessary, there's no reason to hoard it. I've bought and sold tons of gear, and almost all of it could be easily acquired again; if not, there's plenty of gear out there that I haven't tried. :)

• Members

Nah, no reason to be so dramatic. I've got a decent job, and I just play music for fun; if it's not fun, I play less of it.
:idk:
I mean, if you really want to keep playing music, take a minute to figure out what exactly would bring you joy. If not (or if you can't find an answer), don't put so much pressure on yourself.

As an example, here's my story from the past six months. Back in December, my original band broke up. Bummer. Soon after, my acoustic duo started taking off. The acoustic duo turned into a full funk/pop band, and I picked up bass for that; then I saw a really inspiring original act in need of a bass player, and was lucky enough to join up with them. The acoustic duo band is getting ready to disband at the end of May - people are moving. At the same time, I've found some guys to help me re-form my original band. All the while, I've been working on writing for a project with the girlfriend. It's just a cycle, and you'll find what you're looking for if you let it find you as well - no reason for drama or hard feelings.

Regarding selling off your gear, I say you should never be afraid to sell. It's just stuff, and if you feel like it's unnecessary, there's no reason to hoard it. I've bought and sold tons of gear, and almost all of it could be easily acquired again; if not, there's plenty of gear out there that I haven't tried.
:)

Agree. Great positive attitude.

• Members

I just want to say thanks for everyones reply. An even bigger thank you to you all for being so pragmatic and not shooting me down.

I guess at the moment I feel like I'm going through a messy divorce with music. I hope that I'll get my passion for playing back in the future.

For now though I'm keeping my practice amp and 2 guitars. The rest of my gear is going.

Time will tell. For now I need to take a hiatus.

Thanks again for the replies, it's good hear others experience.

• Members

Do it as long as you love it. When you stop loving it... stop doing it. Give it some time... maybe after taking 6 months off or a year you'll miss it and wanna jump back in. I took a break for nearly 8 years. I went to college, grad school, started working in my chosen field. I just had more important things to do and was so busy I never had time. My poor little Ibanez Acoustic sat in the corner collecting dust and my fender strat lived in its case. But now I've fallen in love with it all over again and am loving rediscovering it. There's nothing that says you have to do it this way or that way or for X amount of time. Do it however you want. If playing in bands is getting old... play alone... just for you.

• Members

Seems like there is a "Playing in front of people" element to it. Maybe you just enjoy entertaining people and that particular avenue has lost it's appeal. Maybe take up acting or singing. Perhaps join a local theater group and do some small plays or something. It might just be that you love performing more than actually playing. Or hey... do a solo thing. Find some good acoustic songs and do a 1 man and his guitar thing.