Is it worth changing the pickups in a MIM Telecaster?

cfordummies

• Members

It's from 2002 if that matters. Will it make a big difference in the sound if I get, say, the custom shop Nocaster pickups? How do I know if these are the pickups I want? Would it be worth it or should I just wait and upgrade the guitar? Thanks in advance.

• Members

It's worth changing pickups only if you're not satisfied with the sound you are getting. I have a Rose Bourbon the the neck that Ken made for me and is perfect for what I wanted and a Fender 50's reissue in the bridge. Lot's of tones to be gotten out there. Just decide what you're looking for.

• Members

To me, pickup upgrades are kinda like changing pre-amp tubes. Sure, you'll hear a difference, but neither yields as dramatic a tone improvement as people will lead you to believe. I put some Texas Specials in my American Series Tele, and afterwards I kinda wished I'd kept my hundred bucks.

• Members

It's from 2002 if that matters. Will it make a big difference in the sound if I get, say, the custom shop Nocaster pickups? How do I know if these are the pickups I want? Would it be worth it or should I just wait and upgrade the guitar? Thanks in advance.

Based on experience with my 1994 MIM Strat, yes, change the pickups. Just do it.

I also went Fender Custom Shop and I really like the sound of them. The workmanship was a bit so-so. The screw holes were filled with wax and were difficult with the self-tapping screws, and wax potting was sloppy and incomplete on one. But they really do sound good.

• Members

If you generally like the sound of classic Telecaster music, just throw a pair of Fender Original Vintage pickups in there.

It'll get you much closer to those tones than your MIM, without spending a fortune or waiting for someone to cobble a pair together in their garage.

There is no great mystery about what makes a good Tele pickup, only known to a handful of "boutique" winders. Fender are actually pretty good at making their own stuff these days, it's just that your ceramic MIMs are built way down to a budget.

• Members

To me, pickup upgrades are kinda like changing pre-amp tubes. Sure, you'll hear a difference, but neither yields as dramatic a tone improvement as people will lead you to believe. I put some Texas Specials in my American Series Tele, and afterwards I kinda wished I'd kept my hundred bucks.

really? because EVERY pickup swap i've done has made a dramatic difference in the instrument...

• Members

I was in the same boat a couple months ago. I bought a tele and really wanted some nice single coils for it. I was torn between the Fender CS Nocasters, Dimarzio Twang Kings, and (a little bit different flavor than the first two) Fender Texas Specials. I ended up choosing the Nocasters after a ton of research. I couldn't be happier. The bridge pickup is super beefy with a real nice high end that doesn't take your head off. The neck is really fantastic, it doesn't get muddy at all. They respond really nicely to how I play, making it easier to get the sound I want out of the guitar. I would highly recommend them. I think I got mine for $100 for the set, which was a steal.

Archived