Educate me on the nut width on Fender strats.......

Dr. Scottie C

• Members

I have owned lots of strats.....

correct me if I am wrong

A USA standard has a wider nut than a Made in Mexico....and a Made in Mexico has a wider nut than a Squier or Classic Vibe

So essentially the higher up the Fender food chain you go, the wider the fretboard is ...at say the 1st fret..... narrower = cheaper.

Right?

• Members

Sort of. You can find higher end Strats with the narrower spacing (like the Vintage Reissue models). Really, the only ones with the wider spacing are the American Standard/Deluxe models, and some of the signature models. Everything else is some sort of Vintage or Classic-style model, or inspired by (like the Mexi-Strats).

Even then, they're all essentially between 42 and 43mm, the difference is going to be minimal.

• Members

squier has same as g&l which is 41.3mm , just a hair thinner than usa at 42mm

and remember the spacing will be the same by the first fret so it s much ado about nothing really. that said tons of people just cant deal with a .7mm difference for 1 fret go figure.

• Members

squier has same as g&l which is 41.3mm , just a hair thinner than usa at 42mm

and remember the spacing will be the same by the first fret so it s much ado about nothing really. that said tons of people just cant deal with a .7mm difference for 1 fret go figure.

my warmoth nexk is 43mm and my new Squier VM is 42.5

• Members

Nut width is a matter of playability and preference, not a matter of quality.

perhaps grasshopper, but in my experience.... when I pick up a squier I notice how thin the neck seems.... grab one of my USA pieces...seems a lot wider. But agreed.... that doesn't necessarily have anything to do with quality....as someone above suggested actual 60's Fenders were narrow (like today's squiers)

• Members

Nut width is a matter of playability and preference, not a matter of quality.

this....I think one can say in general the thinner nuts also tend to have thinner backsides, the squier cvc is a great example of that. people often complain about how thin the neck is but its not so much the nut but the back and shape of the back of the neck. MIM 60s Teles have very thin necks just like real 60s Teles.

Archived