Telecaster wiring - pros/cons of using a .022uf cap vs. standard .047uf cap?

vintage clubber

• Members

IMO, there are no pros or cons for either; it depends on the guitar and the pickups.

Teles are great because you can access the electronics so easily. Put a couple of alligator clip leads in place of the caps and have it 'til you find a value that works best in that guitar.

• Members

discuss...
:o

Very little difference really. The material / type probably makes a bigger impact on the sound. Bigger the cap value the lower the frequency in general. Would use a .047 on a Tele because they're so bright. Also switch from 500K to 250K pots

• Members

I prefer a .033 or .022 in a Tele.

NoRomoFan has if bass-ackwards, the value has a significant effect, even the accuracy of the cap within its tolerance can create a noticeable change in tone (ceramic caps can have a tolerance as wide as -20/+80%); material on the other end only affects the round ess of the "cutoff elbow" not the cutoff range, so it will have the smallest impact.

The difference in value is the cutoff frequency. There are more mids/upper-mids retained as you drop in value. So, with a .022 cap, you are only shaving off the very high end, and retaining the fat upper mids, making a Tele bridge PU sound a little more P-90-esque, instead of being dark and throaty jazz/R&B tone you usually get. Going the alternate route using a big .1 has such a dramatic effects, players like it for the old "faux wah" tone effect.

• Members

i use .022. The difference is you can use the entire sweep of the pot with .022 even on the neck pickup. with .047 I use only about 1/2 of the sweep. The higher the value the more high end is rolled off so think of a .022 all the way on is .047 at about half way.

For wide wah-wah type sweeps .047 might be better.

Fred Stuart recommends .022

I have an angelas paper-in-oil cap thats rated @ +/- 3% which is a very tight tolerance-meaning it probably reads .022 on a meter. I dont think its actually PIO though but probably mylar. either way, $5 is plenty of money for a cap. value is all that matters not material.

• Members

i use .022. The difference is you can use the entire sweep of the pot with .022 even on the neck pickup. with .047 I use only about 1/2 of the sweep.
The higher the value the more high end is rolled off so think of a .022 all the way on is .047 at about half way.

I have an angelas paper-in-oil cap thats rated @ +/- 3% which is a very tight tolerance-meaning it probably reads .022 on a meter. I dont think its actually PIO though but probably mylar. either way, $5 is plenty of money for a cap. value is all that matters not material.

That's not accurate in the least. Caps don't work like resistors/pots.

The cap sets the "cutoff" frequency above which everything gets shunted to ground...so even when on 10 a .022 cap will operate different than a .047.

• Members

i use .022. The difference is you can use the entire sweep of the pot with .022 even on the neck pickup. with .047 I use only about 1/2 of the sweep. The higher the value the more high end is rolled off so think of a .022 all the way on is .047 at about half way.

Where do you get those for $5? They are considerably more than that on the Angela website...:idk:

Archived