A word about "Chinese" guitars...

Harry7139

• Members

I may be missing something here but aside from it saying "Gibsun" on the headstock, how is this any different than buying a Burny, Greco, Tokai, Orville or any other Asian knockoff?

In my thread I just said "Gibsun" in my Craigslist to deflect the haters and to identify it as a fake. The logo really says Gibson and looks very close to the original.

Some people accused me of trolling on my thread, but I didn't realize how many people were offended by my selling the fake for $400 with complete disclosure. In the end, as I stated in my thread I kept it and poured in approx. 400 more dollars to upgrade it to close to Gibson quality, although it will NEVER be Gibson quality.

The quality of wood and the fretboard alone is a step down. Back of the neck you can see how where they fitted the headstock and neck to body. The line of attachment is obvious. A guy on Youtube shows this with his fake.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

How much more do you pay for a fake Gibson versus a fake Epiphone?

Why would anyone want a fake Epiphone. The whole deal with the Gibson Fakes is that is says Gibson on it.

1. because we're headstock whores

2. for {censored}s and giggles when we tell our friends it's a fake

3. possible for a kid who can't afford the real thing to play, fantasizing with his fake Gibson until he can afford the real thing

4. for rip off artists selling it

for the reasons above and probably many more, the whole point is that the headstock says GIBSON!

• Members

Shaking my damn head at WRGKMCs posts :facepalm: Sometimes I forget what decade we live in.

Anyways there is a big difference between copying a design and copying a product. Personally I can get the latter as long as someone is doing it out of curiosity and/or wants to play around with it - trying to play it off as the real deal is wrong no matter what that implies. I also don't like the idea of people making money off of it, but what can you really do?

I have less of a problem with people buying fake guitars (where in reality you are paying for how its built and the only thing making it wrong is one letter in the logo) than people buying fake clothes/bags/sunglasses since you are specifically paying for the brand first.

• Members

Ok thats racist!

No, the cats part goes to parts of Africa. I had friends there who had a cat as a pet..............for a short while. The people there like them and you just can't keep one unless it is a totally inside cat.

• Members

In my opinion the real problem is that we don't have a level playing field in terms of trade with China because the chinese government manipulates their currency. If the American government didn't ignore this in order to appease the rich American businesses who lobby in this direction, China wouldn't be able to manifacture counterfeits so cheaply that they could profit from this strategy. Fix the basic problem and you solve everything.

Here's a fun problem: I have a Gretsch electric guitar that I installed a Gibson neck on for a repair. The neck has a Gibson logo on it.

(It's a 60's Astro Jet Body with a Gibson 12 string neck on it and very cool) Am I obliged to remove the Gibson logo because only the NECK was made by Gibson? What percentage of the guitar needs to be Gibson before I'm allowed to keep the Gibson logo?

• Members

In my opinion the real problem is that we don't have a level playing field in terms of trade with China because the chinese government manipulates their currency. If the American government didn't ignore this in order to appease the rich American businesses who lobby in this direction, China wouldn't be able to manifacture counterfeits so cheaply that they could profit from this strategy. Fix the basic problem and you solve everything.

Interesting.

Geithner has talked of little else at any opportunity since he was appointed.

Many international trade experts have already said they believe the 13-14% revaluation over the past 3 years has brought the currency into an acceptable range bearing in mind the internal economic changes ongoing in China and the rest of the world. Some had already gone on record in 2009 to that effect.

The US meanwhile has not changed economically.

I wonder if the positions were reversed, how much notice the US Govt would take of China appealing to change the dollar rate in their favour.

About as much notice as they take to the embargo on sales to China that skews the trade balance and the playing field.

• Members
It has zero to do with race. It has to do with a political system and the lack of morality within that system

I happen to work for a major Japaneese corporation that has most of their equipment manufactured in

China and distributes it worldwide so I know a little about the subject.

Wait...you seriously think that using actual facts is going to help around here?;)

• Members

I wasn't going to reply, but after reading the OP...

Buying a COUNTERFEIT guitar is not the same as buying a guitar that's based on another.

People that buy COUNTERFEIT goods get less quality than a "design copy" for a given price point, but they're shallow enough to be happy about it because they've got a "top brand" guitar in their twisted mind. The OP even goes to the extent of trying to upgrade the crappy components to enhance the illusion. You rock!

• Members

Same reason why anyone would want a real one.

Only cheaper.

An Epiphone Les Paul can be had from 300 to 400.

So you order it from China for $100 with another $100 in shipping cost. I don't get it.

Epi's in America are fairly inexpensive. Why buy the fake. Difference in cost isn't that much.

There's no fake coolness factor with an Epiphone.

But a fake Gibson is anywhere from 300 to 400 and a Gibson Standard LP is around 1700. Big dollar difference here.

Just spend $100 more and get the fake Gibson.

and enjoy being a fake rock star!

• Members

Again, I don't get the point. I went and watched a few minutes of the video. I don't understand how some one who is articulate and a good player can so wholly miss the point on why doing what he is doing by bringing these guitars in is messed up. A couple posts up, references Schecter. Eastwood. Reverend. Peavey. FANTASTIC guitars based on the prices. This guy must have a circle of stupid friends that think he is a genius for gaming the system, and I'd lay money he IS selling the damn things. I bet he is co-mingling parts with Epi's, or fabricating nameplates/stickers and selling them on craigslist or estate sales.

There was a story a year or so back about how aChinese company had copied and entire CAR PLANT and was selling counterfeit parts to a car called a Cherry. The parts were f course substandard, but, in this case, people were killed or hurt because none of the parts were stressed tested or crash tested. The 'clone' cars were like paper mache versions, and the difference only showed up when an accident happened. Reading this now, I don't know that I would not knock this guys guitars over on purpose if I was around. It ticks me off. I can't really put my finger on why, but, I guess it boils down to why do what's wrong when doing what is RIGHT is so easy and probably better?

• Members

Again, I don't get the point. I went and watched a few minutes of the video. I don't understand how some one who is articulate and a good player can so wholly miss the point on why doing what he is doing by bringing these guitars in is messed up. A couple posts up, references Schecter. Eastwood. Reverend. Peavey. FANTASTIC guitars based on the prices. This guy must have a circle of stupid friends that think he is a genius for gaming the system, and I'd lay money he IS selling the damn things. I bet he is co-mingling parts with Epi's, or fabricating nameplates/stickers and selling them on craigslist or estate sales.

There was a story a year or so back about how aChinese company had copied and entire CAR PLANT and was selling counterfeit parts to a car called a Cherry. The parts were f course substandard, but, in this case, people were killed or hurt because none of the parts were stressed tested or crash tested. The 'clone' cars were like paper mache versions, and the difference only showed up when an accident happened. Reading this now, I don't know that I would not knock this guys guitars over on purpose if I was around. It ticks me off. I can't really put my finger on why, but, I guess it boils down to why do what's wrong when doing what is RIGHT is so easy and probably better?

What video?

• Members

In my thread I just said "Gibsun" in my Craigslist to deflect the haters and to identify it as a fake. The logo really says Gibson and looks very close to the original.

Some people accused me of trolling on my thread, but I didn't realize how many people were offended by my selling the fake for $400 with complete disclosure. In the end, as I stated in my thread I kept it and poured in approx. 400 more dollars to upgrade it to close to Gibson quality, although it will NEVER be Gibson quality.

The quality of wood and the fretboard alone is a step down. Back of the neck you can see how where they fitted the headstock and neck to body. The line of attachment is obvious. A guy on Youtube shows this with his fake.

That is called a scarf joint that is actually stronger then what Gibson uses.

• Members

Here in the USA we don't have to worry about such things. If our beloved Government didn't want us to buy Chinese or play Chinese fakes...they would actually do something about it instead of just talking about it.

• Moderators

This is my personal experience with one of these "replica" guitars.. I will say that in no way do I advocate or advise purchasing one of these.. it's just with all the hype and Youtube stuff out there along with many unanswered questions I decided to find out first hand and relay my experience. First thing I did was call US Customs.. Their answer as to importing "replicas": You may indeed import and own ONE item with a registered trademark name within each 30 day calender period.. However it must be for
PERSONAL USE ONLY

DAMN!!!!!

Dudes smokin and snortin guitars now, the world change since I smoked a bitta hash and dropped the odd 'shroom and acid tab

Archived