Opinions about ASCAP's MusicPro Insurance?

locstock

• Members

Hey guys, I'm 22 and fresh out of college. I'm a member of a local rock band in the Raleigh, NC area. We've been at it for about two years, and now that we're all out of school (with degrees to fall back on), we've moved into a house together, found flexible jobs at local restaurants and bars, and continued expanding our music performance, songwriting, and fan base with the intent of becoming a successful touring/ regional band.

We feel that now is the best time in our lives to hit the business really hard, put forth a concerted effort, and really throw ourselves headfirst into our music (enjoying every step of the way) and "seeing what happens" in hopes of "making it."

All that being said (and please feel free to comment on the above mentioned plan; any advice is welcomed), we are all at a point now where we really need, but have a hard time getting good health insurance. We've copyrighted our recordings and registered with RIAA, but we have held off on joining a music organization like ASCAP or BMI, because we want to do what is best for the band and band members.

Now, the question--Is ASCAP a good organization to join, and does it pay to use their MusicPro Insurance plan? Do any musician's (at any stage of the game) have any experience with either or both? Please let me know. Thanks!

• Members

I've been with ASCAP since 1990 and started with their Music Pro Ins the month it came out. I didn't use it for quite a while but in the past 10 years have had 2 occasions (one totalling in the thousands) to use it.

Music Pro Ins does a good job, no complaints.

ASCAP on the other hand................

• Members

perhaps voting for a sane national healtcare policy would be a good idea too.

Exactly. Or marry a federal employee.

I found that the rider on my homeowner's policy (and previously on my renter's insurance) is a cost-effective way to cover equipment even when it's out of the house. If you have really valuable stuff and/or vintage equipment, make sure you list it before you lose it. You also need to clearly define that a new Les Paul is NOT a replacement for your '59 gold-top.

Archived