Freaking depressing article

Lurko

• Members

Generic crap is what is selling. Simple Plan are much worse than them, but sold millions of albums.

iPod and cell phone accessories must be selling too because I see sh*tloads of 'em at the mall, drug store and the checkout counter at the supermarket.

The problem is, people only need so many iPod and cell phone covers and people only need so much generic music. If hotspur hopes to be the next generic crap, then I'd say their odds are a tad bit worse then if they did something unique. At least then it would be possible to identify them from the rest of generic crap.

That's my take on it anyway, I could be wrong.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

From the Washington City Paper this week:

Good article, but it demonstrates something a friend of mine who's had some country hits told me a while back"

"If you can make a living doing something else, play music for fun. Your soul will thank you."

There was a time when he had two tour buses and made $20K a show. Now he has one, subsidized by Gibson, and makes $6k a show. His records are great, but he has yet to do one where he owns it. The label had a regime change and he asked to be dropped. I don't know what he's going to do next, but if he has the change to do it, he should make the record and lease it to an indie. He'll make more money and have fewer headaches.

So my band is a bunch of old farts, playing original blues rock on the weekends and working in high-tech during the week. We have long since blown off the idea of making a living, making music.

Work on your skillset, whatever it is, ansd play music for fun. If you make enough money to keep yourself in strings, tubes and gas, you're doing well.

• Members

Work on your skillset, whatever it is, ansd play music for fun. If you make enough money to keep yourself in strings, tubes and gas, you're doing well.

Yeah, well said, very well said.

My problem is once I start getting close to breaking even, I buy more gear. :eek:

• Members

i think 'getting on the warped tour' sounds a little more impressive than it is. my band got on the warped tour back in '03. we were alright but not *that* great.
:thu:
http://www.myspace.com/minimaleffortpunk

we won a contest to get a spot. but at least it was punk rock! i don't know what's happened to warped tour since then. but hey, that's the 'music biz', things evolve i guess.

Wow, that band sucks. It must not be all that hard to get on the warped tour after all.

just kidding, Reminds me of the older punk I used to listen to. I would pay the $7 cover.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I've only been doing this for about six years, but my take on it is that music is going to it's old "before the recording industry" paradigm. That is, dad plays the violin, mom plays the piano and big brother plays the guitar, and the whole family sings. They do it for fun.

Fast forward to the world of the iPod and Limewire and the death of the recording industry. It is the old paradigm but with a 21st century twist:

Playing in a band is like playing on a softball team - You do it for fun - with some minor advantages: You get paid enough to keep you in equipment; you can sell merchandise for even more money.

In the meantime, as in the old days, very few people actually do music as their "real" source of income.

And the old paradigm seems the most reasonable. After all, the ability and desire to create music is a God given gift that we all have to one degree or another. Few are truly gifted enough to make real money at it - no matter how much they practice. People make money doing things that are hard - like hauling garbage, bulding houses and designing business systems - or bringing a truly unique gift to the table that few have. That is why truly GREAT sports figures make good money - and they are rare.

Bottom line - this article describes the world in which we live. It should be required reading for all teenagers looking to be the next big thing.

• Members

I sorta wanna know how these rappers are making it. It seems that every couple weeks, a new rapper is out, or on MTV Cribs showing off their new houses or whatnot. How are THEY making money? Everytime I read an article like this it's about a rock act. If a rock act was given the same attention/exposure as a rapper, would they be as successful???

Ever see "That Thing You Do"? Do you think the rappers are really making it, or just look like it - for a time...

One hit wonders don't make it.

The one thing they have going for them is that their main demographic audience doesn't or can't afford to avail themselves to the modern technology for copying music.

• Members

I'd say for 99.99% of musicians it already is an expensive hobby.

For me, it is not expensive in dollars. The gigs actually pay for the equipment and gas with a fair amount left over.

But it is VERY expensive in time. Fortunately it is something I love to do.

• Members

Thing is that you are still talking CDs...It seems to me that the only people actually interested in a physical format anymore are the artists themselves and people who benefit to make money off the physical format - in this case, CDs.

Why do musicians and songwriters seem to favor it?

Who knows?

you know why i buy hard copies of cds and have not downloaded music in a year?

because of the album it self. i love the liner notes and art, the pictures of the artist. when i buy a cd i bring it home sit on the couch and listen to the cd start to finish inspecting the artwork and the coulors of the album lining and reading along to the lyrics. this is something i love and do often with new or old cds that i have. i once look at the cover photo of "darkness on the edge of town" for 20 mins just studying bruce's eyes and hair and how he held his hands and trying to learn what he was thinking about when he made the album. there is so much more to a cd than the music. and i highly value and respect artists that care about that.

• Moderators

you know why i buy hard copies of cds and have not downloaded music in a year?

because of the album it self. i love the liner notes and art, the pictures of the artist. when i buy a cd i bring it home sit on the couch and listen to the cd start to finish inspecting the artwork and the coulors of the album lining and reading along to the lyrics. this is something i love and do often with new or old cds that i have. i once look at the cover photo of "darkness on the edge of town" for 20 mins just studying bruce's eyes and hair and how he held his hands and trying to learn what he was thinking about when he made the album. there is so much more to a cd than the music. and i highly value and respect artists that care about that.

Funny, I complain about the fact that a jewel cased CD never has the quality of art, info, etc. that LPs had...plus, as Marley pointed out, double album covers were good for cleaning your ganja with...:lol:

But there is a whole secondary level of artistic output that works with the proper presentation of a CD, LP, EP, MD...basically any physical media that is packaged.

Eventually, when MP3 is replaced by the next big thing, which will be a video presentation with every song, there may be a resurgence in people appreciating the collaborative aspect of the product, the packaging and the promotional materials associated with it.

• Members

Oh I just went to their myspace page, now I know why they're not making any moolah. Jeebus.. No amount of production can polish a turd. The songs aren't even good enough to be innoffensive rock lite. Go write some decent songs and then complain about not making it. I mean they're okish.. but I'd be happy with where they are if I was them.

They're no different from the 99% of bands that will have a couple of years worth of touring stories before they becomes accountants or music teachers. Welcome to the bellcurve...

Sure there are plenty of awesome bands that aren't making it.. but these guys aren't one of them.

I don't know why people are calling it poppy. Pop can be great. Their hooks just aren't any good.

Also, the dad offered to buy him a sports car as a frigging graduation present = cry poor at the risk of a bitch slap.

• Members

I've come to the same realization as that mentioned by Daddymack, about video being part of every song. On the Apple ipod site I found only ONE ipod model of all the models being sold that did not have video. So, in the future when folks load a song, they are likely to want to be visually entertained as well. That means that audio studios without video could become obsolete. I personally am starting to buddy up with a local video studeo with the idea that that is the future of free music. Err.. did I say free.....

• Members

I've come to the same realization as that mentioned by Daddymack, about video being part of every song. On the Apple ipod site I found only ONE ipod model of all the models being sold that did not have video. So, in the future when folks load a song, they are likely to want to be visually entertained as well. That means that audio studios without video could become obsolete. I personally am starting to buddy up with a local video studeo with the idea that that is the future of free music. Err.. did I say free.....

I don't know...I doubt it. The thing is, for most people, music on an ipod is background noise, a soundtrack to their lives that they listen to while doing something else-studying, walking/jogging, shopping, driving, skiing/snowboarding, biking, riding a bus...I don't see video being practical for those applications, and really, the screens are just too small to make video appealing anyway.

• Members

I don't know...I doubt it. The thing is, for most people, music on an ipod is background noise, a soundtrack to their lives that they listen to while doing something else-studying, walking/jogging, shopping, driving, skiing/snowboarding, biking, riding a bus...I don't see video being practical for those applications, and really, the screens are just too small to make video appealing anyway.

Agree. Ipods have video screens mainly for other things - watching tv series while travelling etc. I mean they sell them on itunes. Even if all the songs on my mp3 player had videos I sure as hell wouldn't watch them. I have however used an mp3 player and a sony psp to watch tv series and videos in bed without shining too much light on the wife while she's trying to sleep.

With even less money for bands in the future there will most likely be less money spent on extravagant videos.

• Members

Wow. All that work and networking and they are still broke huh. I think this is way bigger than me, this whole myspace, ipod, legwork {censored}e. I like making music, I like playing music and I think I am good at it. Don't know if my music would sell a millions copies, or gather 1 million downloads but I think it's good.

But I am 34 and have 1 kid and another on the way and am married, I have no desire to be in a cover band, only original band and I just would like to sell some cd's and gather some fans. That's it, maybe radio play.

And for the record, I don't sell my cd's that I make I ask for donations. Only because I record all the instruments myself and there really isn't much packaging so I don't think that warrants a 5 dollar sale. My band on the other had sells the cd's for like 5 bucks but I think my recordings or my side band sound better.

• Moderators

ahh...you forgot,,,the next big thing will be eye-buds...:wave:

no more screens...these will project images directly on yor retina! I am working on my patent as I write this!:wave:

• Members

Summary:

The band Hotspur leveraged one of the highest MySpace friends-list and some network-tv-plays to get the #3(?) spot on the Warped tour to play at 5(?) of the 25 dates.

During the 20 dates they weren't playing, they each walked 100+ miles among the crowds to promote their CDs and merch, and lived in a van and off of fast food.

After re-upping their T-Shirt stock, they each netted about $1,000 for the pinnacle of about 6 months'(?) work. But they're still in-debt for the $10,000 used to record their CD in Nashville.

I hope they at least got some good lovin' from some groupies! :rolleyes:

• Members

Oh I just went to their myspace page, now I know why they're not making any moolah. Jeebus.. No amount of production can polish a turd.... Go write some decent songs and then complain about not making it....

They're no different from the 99% of bands that will have a couple of years worth of touring stories before they becomes accountants or music teachers. Welcome to the bellcurve...

Also, the dad offered to buy him a sports car as a frigging graduation present = cry poor at the risk of a bitch slap.

Lol. And it sure doesn't help that the bassist is a dead-ringer for Napoleon Dynamite. :cry:

• Members

Summary:

The band Hotspur leveraged one of the highest MySpace friends-list and some network-tv-plays to get the #3(?) spot on the Warped tour to play at 5(?) of the 25 dates.

During the 20 dates they weren't playing, they each walked 100+ miles among the crowds to promote their CDs and merch, and lived in a van and off of fast food.

After re-upping their T-Shirt stock, they each netted about $1,000 for the pinnacle of about 6 months'(?) work. But they're still in-debt for the $10,000 used to record their CD in Nashville.

I hope they at least got some good lovin' from some groupies!
:rolleyes:

You would hope that they are at least having fun- and they are lucky enough to have parents that are wealthy enough to support them and understanding enough to aid them in pursuing their dreams.

Sure, maybe in a few years they will be accountants or guitar teachers- but they will be able to say that they had a hell of a time. Sometimes staying up until 6 am can be fun...right? They can also say they swung the bat- not like a lot of people who decided to do something safe.

Satisfaction and no regrets are priceless things to have.

• Members

I'm in my 50's and just started forming my country band about 4 years ago. and we are doing well. BUT we all work FULL TIME jobs and spend our spare time playing the music that we love and getting paid for it. We are all smart enough to know that you are kidding yourself if you expect to have it easy and make a career out of music unless you go into the corporate side or some way other than a performer.

I'm not saying you shouldn't perform, but be realistic people, there are thousands of so-called musicians, and singers and writers out there, many of who have some talent, but few who have the top-notch talent, and that includes me. I'm perfect for our band but I would not make it as a full time musician, NO WAY, I'm not great, but I am good. There's a big difference.

Come on people wise up and get a real job and play or sing or write your music as a sideline. It's one in a million who can really make it bid, don't kid yourself. Get a real job, and throw yourself into your music on the weekend, or be prepared to just get by and quit complaining if you make music your whole career. Enjoy it like I do, for the love of it, not for the bucks of it. I've seen too many people with stars in their eyes when what they really need is a swift kick of reality.

Don't let American Idol fool you, the best and most talented SHOULD make it but don't always, it's who you know, where you are located, hitting the right place at the right time, and lots of luck and humility. You ARE NOT gonna make a good living unless you work really hard and try lots of things. Technology really changed the face of music production and made it easy for the little guy to show his stuff but made it harder for those wanting to make a full time living at it to prosper. It's a Catch-22 situation.

I'm very happy in my musical pursuits because I can play as much as my spare time allows, I can work full time at a good job and get the money I need to buy my equipment and my gig money helps pay for my gas. That's why I am happy and most of you are not, I am realistic about what it takes to make it. I've made it my way, not as my living but as something that I do because I love doing it. So, who's happy out there and why? Any others who are like me?

• Members

RobRoy - (Senior Member) up above is totally correct, just as I feel. I couldn't agree more. Wise up all you starry-eyed people out there! Get a real job and make music the balance of your life after you have a regular job. If you do TRY to get into the business, don't be a whiner and grow up and realize you may have to work damn hard and not get very far. Do it for the love of it, not for the glory. If you are lucky the glory will follow, if not, you are still doing it for the love of it. Makes your whole life different. And happier.

• Members

music is going to it's old "before the recording industry" paradigm.

I've wondered about this, too. When people complain about all the crappy indie bands out there who are pushing sub-par CDs they recorded after their first few lessons...are they complaining about the democratization of music? About people wanting to play music themselves as opposed to just being a fan? I would think that is more of a positive than a negative.

• Members

Sure, maybe in a few years they will be accountants or guitar teachers- but they will be able to say that they had a hell of a time. Sometimes staying up until 6 am can be fun...right? They can also say they swung the bat- not like a lot of people who decided to do something safe.

Satisfaction and no regrets are priceless things to have.

Yes and good on them for that. Seriously. I've got a lot of respect for having the gumption to get out there and do it. I know I'm being a bit rude about their music, but thats mainly because they're a bit deluded about how good they are and are funded by rich parents and are still complaining. They are getting to live a slice of the dream in relative comfort.. (although they are giving up an early start on their future careers which is a big opportunity cost.) They should really be grateful. There are plenty of objectively better bands out there living on nothing who I could handle a bit of a whinge from, just not these guys. I was really "with" the article until I heard their music.. It kind of undermined it's whole thrust, if the songs had have been truly good (I am open to almost all styles, thats not the issue) I would have agreed a lot more.

As it is it's all a bit "well duh".

And I mean that in the nicest possible way. People just need to be a whole lot more realistic about both their own music and their chances of ANY kind of success. Some of my absolute favourite bands got to be 10-15 years old with truly great songs (critically acclaimed by RS etc, not just fanboys) and still managed to mostly only play to 40-50 people in small clubs despite constant national radio play. People that are far, far better than I will ever be. Just by opening your eyes to what some of your favourite regional bands are doing, even the ones that occasionally get on tv, you should be able to adjust your expectations. I knew early on that given I was at most a QUARTER as good as some of these guys the most I could ever hope for was 15-20 people (excluding friends and family ;)) coming to a headlining gig, maybe a lunchtime spot at a small music festival, maybe a one off live tv spot on a b grade show if I knew the right person plus a good couple dozen music video plays because the national broadcaster here is obliged to air them on the national music program.

And that's even if I'm slightly as good as I think i could be, odds are i'm not even near that level. ;)

Everyone secretly thinks some of their songs are pretty good, but you've really got to try and be objective and pretend it's someone elses stuff you're hearing for the first time. That said.. I know you've got to have amazing self belief, but I really wish people would temper this a bit so as not to become deluded.

I'm going to be trying pretty hard this next year or two to get out there but I guarantee you all I'm going to have is some good touring stories ;) Plus I'd rather have low expectations and easily exceed them and hence "succeed" then think i'm better than the beatles (I've heard musicians say that about themselves) and become bitter and disappointed.

Although.... That said I just started doing some contract web dev work for one of the "Big Four" Labels ;).. who you know and all... ;)

heheh j/k I make a hundred times more cash contracting development to them than I ever would approaching them as an artist. I wouldn't want them to think they could make the contract cheaper - ha!

• Members

music is going to it's old "before the recording industry" paradigm.

No, it isn't. The recording industry has been around since the 1920s. Many of the terms we still use in the business come from that era (publishing, mechanical license, etc). It will never go back to being anything like those days.

Before the recording industry came along, live music as being performed in saloons and whore houses, just like it is now. But the fact is, there is still a huge demand for recorded music. It's everywhere it didn't used to be back in the 20s and before: in-store Muzak, car stereos and radios, television commercials, movie scores and soundtracks, personal MP3 players...I don't see that changing anytime soon. It's just that no one wants to pay for it. I don't see that changing, either, as long as there remains no way for those producing it to keep it from being stolen. Like any business, once a producer loses control of distribution, and people can just take what he makes, it's over.

Archived