Guitar For The Practicing Musician

Alan Roberts

• Members

GFTPM is Guitar World now IIRC.

It was a great magazine but had a lot of transcriptions and very few gear reviews and product shootouts. Today most people who buy guitar mags are interested in buying stuff not playing.

• Members

Yep, more or less. It went from GFTPM to Guitar to being merged into Guitar One, then Guitar One ended up being owned by the same company as Guitar World and disappeared shortly after.

I went this route. I now have a subscription to Guitar World through no fault of my own!

• Members

I always felt that that magazine was too much for aspiring musicians. The tabs/scores were too precise and overwhelming. It didn't help that the shred era was in full swing.

It was always advanced stuff but the mag was for the "practicing musician" not the forum dwellers of today. A lot of us got a lot better by attempting those transcriptions:)

• Members

Was my favorite mag when I started playing guitar. The tabs were by far the best I've ever seen. Whoever did those tabs was amazing. I still have a few issues lying around here and have tried finding an online archive of all their tabs but I have yet to find one. I know it has to be out there somewhere. Someone has to have an archive.

• Members

Was my favorite mag when I started playing guitar. The tabs were by far the best I've ever seen. Whoever did those tabs was amazing. I still have a few issues lying around here and have tried finding an online archive of all their tabs but I have yet to find one. I know it has to be out there somewhere. Someone has to have an archive.

wolf marshall and jesse gress iirc

• Members

I have close to a 1,000 issues in the basement on a table. Till this day my wife is trying to throw them out lol. Great thing is that if I hear a great song I have not heard in a few years I can go sift and more than likely will find the tab and off I go. etawful is dead on as Guitar Techniques from the U.K. is by far the best guitar magazine ever from a players stance. It is a bit pricy but one issue will keep most guys busy for months.

• Members

The first one I bought was this one and Guitar World both Sept. '86.

I had just started playing guitar recently and it was the first time I'd ever seen any guitar magazines.

gfpm-sept86.jpg

guitarworld_8609.jpg

Not long after I got this one at the music store. Also Sept. '86.

GTPL198609.JPG

• Members

GFTPM was the best.

I still have a pile of old issues and once in a while I go back through them. Even 20 years later the articles and tabs are better and more interesting than anything I've read lately.

I usually don't even bother with the tabs in Guitar World because most of the time I can get a lot closer by ear than with their tabs. I learned a big chunk of what I know with GFTPM.

• Members

I remember Guitar for the Practicing Musician" - my brother and I had a subscription. Ah, memories. But, I agree with every comment above to some degree. In the 1980's For me (at my age) "Guitar Player" used to be too "high brow" to me. Lots of articles, discussions about inversions and theory. Concentration on old school rock, fusion, jazz, blues.

Guitar for the practicing musician was more accessible; rock, transcriptions, TAB's, articles on how to use effects pedals for different sounds, etc... but as someone else stated, shred and hair metal were in full swing and that wasn't really my thing either. I really got into Guitar Player again as they evolved their format and pretty much stuck with it throughout the 90's. Guitar World always seemed like a continuation of the hair/shred mentality (although it evolved as well)

Now, I'm just rambling. Enjoying my memories...

Archived