For those of you who use Line 6 M9/M13s...

honeyiscool

• Members

Not really. I think you can create a scene then when you click over to that scene whatever you had selected when you last left will be on. That's at least two footswitch clicks on an M-13 (more for an M-9) though.

• Members

Is this the latch scene mode?

Yes. Another method that I use is to use a MIDI switcher. I have an old Digitech RP-12 that I use as a switcher. I just assigned the patch changes to the corresponding addresses in the M13, and I can switch scenes with one footswitch.

I haven't used scene mode in the M13 since I got it, but if I remember correctly, it takes two or more foot taps to change scenes.

Of course, my method isn't very cost-effective if you don't happen to have a MIDI pedalboard lying around.

Pedals2.jpg

• Members

I have an M9. No, you cannot create multi-effect patches which are assigned to a single switch.

Think of the M9/13 as a chain of individual stompboxes. You can't very well hit your distortion pedal and expect your delay to turn on at the same time. This is an advantage and disadvantage of the M9/13. If you must have patches, then look elsewhere! :thu:

• Members

I have an M9. No, you cannot create multi-effect patches which are assigned to a single switch.

Think of the M9/13 as a chain of individual stompboxes. You can't very well hit your distortion pedal and expect your delay to turn on at the same time. This is an advantage and disadvantage of the M9/13. If you must have patches, then look elsewhere!
:thu:

I don't know about the M9 but the M13 lets you do that no problem. And yes, I think it's called latch mode.

And no, it doesn't take two taps to change patches. One tap. In latch mode instead of each switch controlling a different effect, it simply switches to another patch which you set up with whatever effect you want on or off. So if you want one patch with delay, reverb, chorus, and flange, and then want to switch to a patch with distortion, phaser, tremolo, and auto-wah, all it takes is one tap.

• Members

How smooth is the switching, is there any delay or drop out?

I don't recall there being any significant drop out when switching but then again, over the years I've learned to time any effect or patch switching so that I switch when I'm not playing. I developed this a long time ago when I was using old school rack gear by ART and Digitech that sometimes had drop outs when switching.

• Members

Cool, I'm thinking about replacing my pedalboard with an M9. There are very few effects I use at any given point, but there are times when I need to go from a heavily effected tone to a clean tone at the drop of a dime, and it's either I get a true bypass loop pedal, and sink more money into that, or get an M9. I'm also not happy with the noise I'm getting from having too many true bypass pedals, and honestly, I'm over the analog delay and would like a cleaner digital delay. I go through phases and it just seems like an M9 would save me a lot of money in the end, not having to buy more pedals.

• Members

Cool, I'm thinking about replacing my pedalboard with an M9. There are very few effects I use at any given point, but there are times when I need to go from a heavily effected tone to a clean tone at the drop of a dime, and it's either I get a true bypass loop pedal, and sink more money into that, or get an M9. I'm also not happy with the noise I'm getting from having too many true bypass pedals, and honestly, I'm over the analog delay and would like a cleaner digital delay. I go through phases and it just seems like an M9 would save me a lot of money in the end, not having to buy more pedals.

An M9 is a good addition to a pedalboard. An M13 is a good replacement for a pedalboard.

And I know what you mean about phases. I have an M13 and used it live for a couple of years. Then I went into a phase of having separate pedals and a pedalboard so I'm using that at the moment. But I'm sure I'll end up going back to the M13 at some point....then back to a pedalboard....etc...etc...

• Members

Why do I need four? I have long reverb tanks on every combo amp I currently have and I'm rarely using even two effects.

You'd be surprised at what you can do with an extra effect in your chain. Think of it as having a pedalboard with 4 effects, but you can swap effects in and out at will. It basically lets you reconfigure your pedalboard with as many effects and as often as you want. You can also run multiple effects of the same kind. For example, you can run a distortion and boost it with a tubescreamer or you can have 3 effects and then a boost in the 4th position to use for leads, etc... the number of options it gives you are mindblowing. Hell, you can have a patch with 4 delays if you want or 4 reverbs or 4 of anything. It's really a cool pedal.

• Members

You'd be surprised at what you can do with an extra effect in your chain. Think of it as having a pedalboard with 4 effects, but you can swap effects in and out at will. It basically lets you reconfigure your pedalboard with as many effects and as often as you want. You can also run multiple effects of the same kind. For example, you can run a distortion and boost it with a tubescreamer or you can have 3 effects and then a boost in the 4th position to use for leads, etc... the number of options it gives you are mindblowing. Hell, you can have a patch with 4 delays if you want or 4 reverbs or 4 of anything. It's really a cool pedal.

Yeah but as far as I can see, in the M9, you have a scene with six different pedals. You can have any three at once. I never have more than six pedals on a pedal board, and I never have more than three of them on either, I mean, more than two is too much for me half the time. I either have an overdrive or a boost on (that's one), a tremolo or a chorus (that's two), and a reverb or delay (that's three), and half the time I run the reverb at the amp. I just don't know what a fourth effect is for, considering I don't even like to run tremolo and any other effect at the same time.

The main thing for me is that in a couple of songs, I need to be able to go from bypass to boost or distortion + delay on in one click. As long as the M9 can do that...

That said, if I just use POD HD300 as an effects unit, what are the advantages of an M9/M13 over the cheaper POD HDs?

• Members

exactly...it lets you stack effects, and switch them up on the fly...

Archived