Pickups recommendations for Epiphone LP Jr.

DarkHorseJ27

• Members

Ideally I'd like the pickup to be silent. I swear there must be neon signs running through the walls instead of electric wires where I live. I do have a CAL redeemer circuit I can use with whatever pickup I choose. To my ears its gets rid of any humbucker mudiness and adds a liveliness similar to a single coil. I was also thinking of a few pickups already:

Lace Alumitone: Lots of potential for tone sculpting, and I bet it would get a better acoustic sound plugged into an acoustic amp or PA than a piezo bridge would.

Seymour Duncan Alnico II: Simply a nice warm sounding humbucker.

Opinions on those two pickups, and any other recommendations?

• Members

In my experience Epiphones are pieces of {censored} no matter which pickups you put in them. Why dont you try the new Duncan '59 Hybrid? Im really intrigued by this, I need to get something to throw one in.

Some I have tried do fit the description. However, the one I was given recently is surprisingly resonant unplugged and after setting it up I got it playing pretty nice. The reason I am asking for pickup recommendations is because I am not happy with the stock Epiphone 700T humbucker, and I figure if I get rid of it I can always pull the pickup.

Upon further consideration I think I might just replace the ceramic magnet with an A2 magnet. Minimal investment for a beater guitar.

• Members

I'm really digging the alumitone deathbuckers I got. Something else you could try would be to buy some graphite shielding paint and shield you cavitys if they are not allready done up. This can make a HUGE difference if hum is a problem.

• Members

In my experience Epiphones are pieces of {censored} no matter which pickups you put in them. Why dont you try the new Duncan '59 Hybrid? Im really intrigued by this, I need to get something to throw one in.
http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/electric/humbucker/medium-output/sh16_59_custom/

what epiphones have you been experiencing? For their price point, Epiphones are quite good - I have 3 - 2 Les Pauls and an SG. I do agree that their pickups tend to suck, but that's an easy fix...:o

To the OP, out of what you listed, I would choose the Duncan. You may also consider the Dimarzio 36th Anniversary PAF...:thu:

Archived