Better amp for home recording: Fender Super Champ XD or Vibro Champ XD

• Members

I played through a Fender Super Champ XD last night at a friend's house. I immediately fell in love with it. The tube tone, the voicings, the reverb.. All sounded fantastic. He was going on and on about how great of an amp it is for recording.

Well, I really want one now. However, I see now that there's also a Vibro Champ XD which is only 5w instead of 15. Either way I intend on replacing the speaker with something a little better, but my question is.. Which one would make for a better sounding recording amp? My guess is the Vibro, but I was wondering if anyone has had experience with either or both of these amps.

I'll take my answer off the air, and I'll just leave this here. Thank you.

[video=youtube;CGeWr6dHvFk]

• Members

I love love love that amp but...

A Yamaha THR10 is all that and an interface. I don't think there is a better home amp right now, and I say that owning a Super Champ XD until 2 weeks ago (traded up to a larger amp).

Hit that thrad about it and look at the demo the dude in the hotel room with the Pacifica does. He literally walks it through tons of spot on perfect tones.

• Members

I'd get the Super Champ. The 15 watts give you more headroom for the cleans, and the modeling gives you ample overdrive options without turning it up loud. 10" speakers sound better to my ears than 8". Look into a Weber.

• Members

I can't really answer the question in the original post directly. I did own an original SCXD (and a VCXD) and the recordings that I was able to produce with the SCXD and an a 2008 American Strat were, sound quality wise, excellent.

I think the SCXD is a brilliant recording amp.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Welp. Snagged a Super Champ XD with an upgraded Greenback on eBay just now. Thanks for the advice, guys!

Hey man! Long time, no talk! I think you'll be real happy with the Super Champ. I bought one off eBay about 2 years ago, and I've been real happy with mine.

Archived