Proper way to adjust action on a floyd rose...

butterguitar

• Members

I've always adjusted my action on floyd rose equipped guitars by doing a dive bomb (to release tension) and turn the pivot posts to adjust the action. The pivot post are easier to turn and adjust action then just turning them while the guitar is under full tension. I've also found that if you turn the post while the guitar is under tension that it could wear out the knife edges, especially if you have a crappy trem to start with.

But I've also heard that the time you should adjust the action is all the strings are off of the guitar (like a string change for example) and then you won't strip or ruin any post.

What is the correct way of adjusting the action?

• Members

The easiest way to do it is to simply take the floyd off.

Pop the springs off the block with a needle nose pliers, then just remove the floyd and adjust the posts.

One thing to note is that you should keep one hand over the pliers when you are putting the springs back on, this is a safety in case they slip off the spring. You don't want to scratch up your paint.

Once you have the springs back on the guitar it will still be perfectly in tune and ready to go.

• Members

The easiest way to do it is to simply take the floyd off.

Pop the springs off the block with a needle nose pliers, then just remove the floyd and adjust the posts.

One thing to note is that you should keep one hand over the pliers when you are putting the springs back on, this is a safety in case they slip off the spring. You don't want to scratch up your paint.

Once you have the springs back on the guitar it will still be perfectly in tune and ready to go.

Wow. This seems pretty time consuming unless you get the setup perfect the first time. Still, I suppose this is the proper and safe way to adjust it.

I'm wondering if the OP's method has any downsides though? That's exactly what I do, but I'm mindful that I could damage the knife edge among other things.

• Members

popping off the trem thru the front of the guitar takes about 8 seconds. then you make your little adjustment, put the springs back on and you will be back into almost perfect tune (depending on how much adjustment you made)

popping off the trem is one of those things i wish i learnt about floyds many years ago.

• Members

I've always adjusted my action on floyd rose equipped guitars by doing a dive bomb (to release tension) and turn the pivot posts to adjust the action.

But, you are only loosening the string tension. You are increasing the spring tension. Aren't you?

Honestly, you are at least not grinding away at the pivot points, so I guess it's better than nothing.

• Members

I pop the springs off and remove it while I adjust it. It isn't the easiest damn thing to do in the history of mankind, but once its done you don't have to dork with it again. So I would rather take the extra ten seconds to pop the trem out rather than have the thing screwed up and have to replace it.

• Members

popping off the trem thru the front of the guitar takes about 8 seconds. then you make your little adjustment, put the springs back on and you will be back into almost perfect tune (depending on how much adjustment you made)

popping off the trem is one of those things i wish i learnt about floyds many years ago.

Thank you and ashasha for reassuring me that there is still in fact some intelligent life left on this forum. :thu:

• Members

If you have a real floyd...just turn the posts.

Got a cheap chinese copy???? Best detune to remove some tension first.

So you advise detuning the whole freaking guitar when you could simply pop 3 springs off? Why?

You don't even have to remove the floyd once you get the springs off, it just hangs loose while you adjust the posts, and then everything is in perfect tune when you put the springs back on.

• Members

Floyd Rosenbomb is 1000% correct.

It takes all of 20 seconds to pop off the springs, remove the Floyd, and reinstall. All while the guitar is tuned to pitch.

It could not be any simpler.

I do it that way when I change pups and it makes pup changes faster than with any other type of bridge. It's just one of the reasons that the Floyd Rose is one of the best guitar inventions ever. :)

• Members

The timing here is perfect for me... I messed with the Floyd today and managed to set the tension so that's it's pretty darn close to perfect between springs/strings, and I'm gonna change out the strings tommorow. I want to take off the bridge tommorow to put some chapstick on the posts for the little extra stability... How exactly do I go about doing this? I plan to block the trem, cut off all the strings and clean her up a bit as well. So you pop the springs off the block; is there any chance the springs go flying, and is it ok to do this under string tension?

• Members

The timing here is perfect for me... I messed with the Floyd today and managed to set the tension so that's it's pretty darn close to perfect between springs/strings, and I'm gonna change out the strings tommorow. I want to take off the bridge tommorow to put some chapstick on the posts for the little extra stability... How exactly do I go about doing this? I plan to block the trem, cut off all the strings and clean her up a bit as well. So you pop the springs off the block; is there any chance the springs go flying, and is it ok to do this under string tension?

Yeah I do it while the guitar is tuned and the nut is locked. Use needle nose pliers and carefully pull each spring off and then you can just remove the bridge and take it out of the way. Just put the bridge back on the posts, reattach each spring when you're done, and the guitar should still be in tune.

• Members

it's been one of those things that is frustrating for me.

my only floyd equipped guitar has been sitting unused for a few months now cause i got frustrated trying to adjust it.

Maybe i should use this thread as a reference and try it again.

• Members

Floyds suck. They stay in tune most of the time but require MAJOR adjustment to your playing technique and you need to constantly maintain them (make sure everything is really tight before you play, etc...) string changes are a hassle. If you like fiddly things, you may like them.

• Members

Floyd Rosenbomb is 1000% correct.

It takes all of 20 seconds to pop off the springs, remove the Floyd, and reinstall. All while the guitar is tuned to pitch.

It could not be any simpler.

I do it that way when I change pups and it makes pup changes faster than with any other type of bridge. It's just one of the reasons that the Floyd Rose is one of the best guitar inventions ever.
:)

+1. That's the correct way to do it. Works just fine for me every time, minus some minute fine-tuning (being that the action was changed)

• Members

The way to set the tension is to block the trem at the correct angle (so that the springs are doing nothing) and then you tune the guitar to pitch. remove the block, your strings will pull the trem angle forwards and make everything flat in pitch. add your springs and tighten the claw until the guitar is back in tune (do not touch the tuners/fine tuners)

To take the trem off, simply turn the guitar upsidedown, take the springs off and carefully (so you dont scratch any paint) let it come thru the front of the guitar.

clean it, do whatever you want with it. when you're done, reverse the steps.

• Members

Floyds suck. They stay in tune most of the time but require MAJOR adjustment to your playing technique and you need to constantly maintain them (make sure everything is really tight before you play, etc...) string changes are a hassle. If you like fiddly things, you may like them.

You know, people slinging such bull{censored} discouraged me from floyds when I was younger. Now I've got 11 in my collection, and I'm so thankful every word you typed is completely untrue.

• Members

Wow. This seems pretty time consuming unless you get the setup perfect the first time.

I do everything perfect the first time. If you tune, stretch your strings, and set up your floyd properly, you should be able to pop off the springs and pop them back on to find the guitar still perfectly in tune.

When I set up a floyd, I stretch the strings until I can tune the guitar up and no amount of stretching on any string will make the guitar or that string go out of tune. It takes an extra 5-10 minutes, but once it's done my guitars stay in tune no matter what I do to them.

• Members

Is it improper to set the tension without the blocking method? I've seen that done on Youtube and stuff, but it will still be a bit off even if I set it perfectly level by eye I have to adjust it a bit further through checking the tuning, diving around moving the claw a tad etc. Might have to get the right sized block to make things easier, I plan to stick some erasers or picks in the cavity to block it for the string change tommorow. I love the idea of Floyds, plus I think i finally got it nice and stable today (it was always pretty close, but never exactly on like it is now). Good thing I'm gonna change strings and likely have to do it all again tommorow :mad: Imo, they also look badass and I like the low profile-ness of mine :o

• Members
Is it improper to set the tension without the blocking method? I've seen that done on Youtube and stuff, but it will still be a bit off even if I set it perfectly level by eye I have to adjust it a bit further through checking the tuning, diving around moving the claw a tad etc. Might have to get the right sized block to make things easier, I plan to stick some erasers or picks in the cavity to block it for the string change tommorow.

I always use a stack of quarters fine-tuned with a pic of whatever thickness is appropriate.

Archived