How to get close to the Big Country tone?

chimi

• Members

I'm a HUGE fan of the band. I have a vox modelling amp and would like to get at least a close approximation of that lead guitar sound. Sounds like maybe a bit of delay/and chorus?

Any suggestions?

• Members

Also i keep finding more and more gems the more i go through their albums.

If you are discovering Big Country I give you my respect.

Yeah, they were HUGE back in the day. Very big band. Even cracked America which was a big deal back then. Thing is though that most people know Big Country for their "In A Big Country" song and their bagpipe guitar sound, but fans of the band know they were one of the few outstanding bands in music history. Yeah, they were that good.

First three albums were damn fine. Even their B-sides were phenomenal then. They got a bit lost after that, but if you concentrate on the early albums you will hear some amazing songs. The first album is a masterpiece from top to bottom.

Sadly for you, you can never experience what they were like as a live band. I have seen many of the great live acts (Prince, Springsteen, The Clash, The Who...) and Big Country were simply the best I have ever seen. Man, they were unreal on stage.

• Members

So i have a Vox modelling amp. What settings do you suggest to get close to that tone? I'm especially interested in the lead tone in 1000 stars. I imagine the pitch shifter option would help. But then a bit of delay and/ or chorus as well?

• Members

I love that band. Was very bummed when the lead guy offed himself. As far as the tone goes, that is a layered recorded bagpipe sample. The best way to approximate it would be a POG/Hog or gr series synth, or just have your kb player double you. I don't hear a drone note, so I think a doubled lead would sound damn good.

Archived