Replacement pickups for PRS 513

Igneroid

• 8 years later...
  • Members
I wanted to try some conventional humbucking pickups in the PRS 513 guitar which has 2 full size single coil pickups wired together in the humbucking pickup spots. Because the pickup cavity was wider than usual there really wasn't a place to put screws in for the humbucking pickup rings. To solve this, I used a piece of a wooden dowel that could be attached to the side of the pickup cavity (inside), which allowed the pickup ring to be attached to that. This gave the option of choosing which humbucking pickups were installed. I took out the board and wired the pickups directly to the 5 way switch. I then took wires for the neck and bridge pickups from the 5 way switch and wired the 3 way switch so that I can combine the neck and bridge pickups in the middle position of the 3 way switch. The coil split is on a pull pot on the tone control.
The resulting change was a success and well worth the effort.
Here are the before and after pics ;

PRS Before-After.jpg

PRS-forearm-contour-1.jpg

Edited by guitar Scott R
add pictures

• 1 year later...
  • Members
This is a mod to put humbucking pickups in a PRS 513 which had 2 full size single coil pickups wired together in the humbucking pickup spots. Because the pickup cavity was wider than usual there really wasn't a place to put screws in for the humbucking pickup rings. To solve this, I used a piece of a wooden dowel that could be attached to the side of the pickup cavity (inside), which allowed the pickup ring to be attached to that. This gave the option of choosing which humbucking pickups were installed (and also the original pickups could be put back in if desired). It did require enlarging the humbucking cavity a bit, but not much. I took out the board that was in there and I wired the pickups to a five way switch. The three way switch combines the humbucking pickups and also has a resistor between the humbucking pickups in one position for a different sound. The coil split is on a pull pot on the tone control. I thought the original pickups sounded a bit sterile and didn't work well with overdrive. The new pickups are a vast improvement, Gibson 490R neck, Duncan Custon single coil middle, and Anderson H2 Bridge.
It was well worth the effort.
This is before and after ;

PRS-Before-After.jpg

Edited by guitar Scott R
addl. info