Thinking of putting a P90 in the neck of my LP, anyone else have this combo?

elsupermanny14

• Members

Just curious what people with this combo think? Burstbucker Pro in the bridge and a P90 in the neck. Does it sound good? I have always found neck pickups on LP guitars to be too deep sounding. It was never my style. However, I LOVE the LP bridge pickup. I'm thinking a P90 in the neck might be a way to maybe brighten up the neck?

Any advice, input, or experience with this would be great if you want to share.

• Members

It's an excellent idea and an excellent choice. I like the BB Pro in the bridge, but heck, so does Gibson. It's now standard equipment on the Les Paul Standard.

Regarding the neck P-90, I agree. The HB neck can be a bit too deep sounding. Another alternative is a Gibson '57 or Bursbucker 1 or 2.

But I've got this Studio version of the BFG, it was a Guitar Of The Week model.

LPStudiowBFG001.jpg

LPStudiowBFG003.jpg

The thing I like about this guitar is the P-90 in the neck, it has a real "woman tone" sound to it (to use an Eric Clapton cliche').

But really, it is a more vocal or "human-like voice sound" than your typical neck HB. It also blends extremely well with the Burstbucker 3 in the bridge, however, although I would certify that I like the BB-3, it is also my least favorite Burstbucker pickup because it's quite edgie sounding and needs gain to add some warm fuzzies to it's edgies. My favorite are the BB 1 & 2 combo followed by the BB Pro N & B HBs. I find the BB Pros to be very "vibey" and that's a quality I enjoy in a humbucker. The 1 & 2 are complex sounding, like a chorus of two coils singing together, but while the BB Pro may miss some of those subtleties, it makes up for it in a vibey presence that isn't as edgie as a BB-3. In other words, I can enjoy listening to the BB Pros clean, whereas the BB-3 begs for more gain to smooth it out. But then you can say it "retains clarity"

How you'd do the install is another question. :idk:

• Members

Just curious what people with this combo think? Burstbucker Pro in the bridge and a P90 in the neck. Does it sound good? I have always found neck pickups on LP guitars to be too deep sounding. It was never my style. However, I LOVE the LP bridge pickup. I'm thinking a P90 in the neck might be a way to maybe brighten up the neck?

Yes. Your thinking is correct. Do it.

I recommend the Duncan Phat Cat.

• Members

Yes. Your thinking is correct. Do it.

I recommend the Duncan Phat Cat.

That's exactly the pickup I was thinking about. Yeah, I'm a humbucker in the bridge guy. My Strat has a Screamin Demon in the bridge which sounds amazing and obviously single coils which I think sound great in the middle. The humbucker in the neck for me is has too much bass and is too dark. That's my take on neck humbuckers on general, not just mine. Never found a dual humbucker guitar where I liked the neck pickup.

I'm hoping the P90 will get me some of the highs that are common in single coils.

Cool, thanks guys. I will keep thinking about it and maybe pull the trigger soon.

If anyone has any other input or even some clips that would be great!

• Members

One of the reasons I don't care much for Les Pauls (or HB guitars in general, truth be told) is that they can be so muddy, to my ear. I'd say it's certainly a good idea to go with a p90 in the neck if you want a brighter sound. Personally, I'd rather one of those in the bridge (as well or instead), but as I say I'm not a HB guy.

There is a P90 that fits a standard HB slot so you could try it out without affecting your guitar

This.

• Members

That's exactly the pickup I was thinking about. Yeah, I'm a humbucker in the bridge guy. My Strat has a Screamin Demon in the bridge which sounds amazing and obviously single coils which I think sound great in the middle. The humbucker in the neck for me is has too much bass and is too dark. That's my take on neck humbuckers on general, not just mine. Never found a dual humbucker guitar where I liked the neck pickup.

I'm hoping the P90 will get me some of the highs that are common in single coils.

Cool, thanks guys. I will keep thinking about it and maybe pull the trigger soon.

If anyone has any other input or even some clips that would be great!

I don't have clips or anything but yeah, I ran a Phat Cat in the neck of my LP for quite some time. I changed it eventually because I just felt like having a more traditional LP tone, and I wanted the middle to be hum cancelling, but it definitely sounded great like that.

DSCN1028.jpg

It will do just want you want it to, more bite in the middle and neck positions. Just generally brighten the guitar a bit. But it will assuredly be miles away from thin sounding.

I say do it already. It's a great pickup config.

• Members

I have a Lollar P90 in my neck position....HEAVENLY!

Perfect combo is a Lollar P90 and a Burstbucker.:thu:

• Members

I don't have clips or anything but yeah, I ran a Phat Cat in the neck of my LP for quite some time. I changed it eventually because I just felt like having a more traditional LP tone, and I wanted the middle to be hum cancelling, but it definitely sounded great like that.

DSCN1028.jpg

It will do just want you want it to, more bite in the middle and neck positions. Just generally brighten the guitar a bit. But it will assuredly be miles away from thin sounding.

That's pretty cool, and the P-90 is easily missed, unless you have a pretty sharp eye.

I also have a BFG, which I love -- but admittedly, I rarely fire up the P-90. I'm almost always on the BB3.

• Members

DSCN1028.jpg

That LP looks amazing with the aged white finish! Yeah, seeing as how not a single person has said a bad thing about it, I think it will be next on my gear "to-buy" list.

• Members

That LP looks amazing with the aged white finish! Yeah, seeing as how not a single person has said a bad thing about it, I think it will be next on my gear "to-buy" list.

It was definitely a looker. Super thin nitro finish and it was legitamtely aging, upon pickup ring removal I could see some still stark white bits. It only weighed 7.4 lbs!

I sold it though. I'm a Fender guy for the most part.

• Members

I would do it. But I'm also hammered. {censored} it, why not.

• Members

Hmmm... You guys got me seriously thinking. I have a SG with two GFS Mean 90's in it, and while I really dig the neck and middle positions, I've never been thrilled with the bridge. Just way too bright. I'm thinking I might try putting a PAF-style pickup back there and see what happens.

Archived