Gibson 50s style neck = AWESOME

elsupermanny14

• Members

Man, I have devoted the last couple of weeks exclusively to my Les Paul and finally got used to the 50s style neck. I played a Strat my whole life with the modern C shaped neck and that was the only thing I knew. Whenever I played the thicker 50s style Gibson necks I never really liked them (of course I just was not used to them).

Now that I have been playing the Les Paul and have been switching back and forth between the Strat I have noticed a couple of things. Once you're used to it, the neck does not feel so thick anymore and the Strat feels really thin. I also noticed that my hand starts to get tired more and hurt when I play the Strat neck for prolonged periods of time. With the Gibson neck my hand gets tired, but it no longer hurts when I play for long periods of time.

I have come to realize I LOVE the Gibson 50s style neck. Anyone else have similar experiences with them or what? What do you guys think of the 50s style neck? Love em? Hate em?

Just trying to start a general discussion so lets hear your thoughts!

• Members

Welcome to my world. I would love strats to have 50's Gibson necks. I completely agree with you (strats now feel thin, hand fatigues). I have to buy my own and as a result, have become a partscaster guy.

For what it is worth, Warmoths 59 is still considerably thinner than a 50's Gibson neck. I bought one thinking it was going to be the answer buy have since bought custom Musikraft and USACG necks which are much closer to a 50's Gibson neck. I got them made .90 at the 1st fret and .99 at the 12th compared to the 59 which is .86 to .96.

With Warmoth, I really like the boatneck whose smaller shoulders but hefty thickness make for a nice feel without being cumbersome. It's 1.0 the whole way and quite nice.

• Members

I had a Gibson 'the paul2' and the neck on that was probly a 50s or thick 60s. I loved that neck. My fender soft-v lite-ash-strat neck is thinner and my hand gets cramped just like you said. I will continue to play it and my muscles will probly get used to it more. I have a new Firebird and the neck is sposed to be a hybrid 50-60's neck 0.8" 1st fret and 0.85" at the 12th . Now that is thin but 1 11/16" wide. I guess I'll get used to it. My friend got the paul2 btw and he's offering it back to me for the broken headstock repair cost(his uncle worked for fender). It slid off the edge of the table it was leaning against. Can you believe that?

• Members

Seriously? You find 50's Gibson necks small compared to fenders? Not many strats with a neck as hefty as a 50's Gibby. Some are chunky but on a whole have nothing on a 50's Gibby.

i didn't say any thing about 50's or otherwise. i just said i've always considered gibsons small and fenders bigger, generally. i think scale length may have something to do with it. my main strat has a pretty hefty neck on it though.

• Members

i didn't say any thing about 50's or otherwise. i just said i've always considered gibsons small and fenders bigger, generally. i think scale length may have something to do with it. my main strat has a pretty hefty neck on it though.

Strat necks vary pretty wildly. They have some big fatties as noted above and some toothpicks that would impress the designers at Ibanez.

• Members

i'm one of those folks that the fender `modern c' neck was made for - fits me like a glove. i strongly dislike (hard to `hate" anything about guitars ;)) the fat gibson necks. when my local guitar store got in a 335 memphis dot reissue with a, what gibson calls, slim taper neck i was astounded - feels almost the same as a fender `modern c' to me :). i took it down to play it just for kicks assuming it would be the standard gibson fat boy, holy crap - bought it on the spot, love it to this day! of course, it'll never be a strat...but it's about the best you could expect from a gibson. ;)

Archived