Tell me about the Carvin DC400

DarkCide

• 4 years later...
  • Members

I recently saw a used Custom DC400A with a Flamed Walnut Top with the Piezo Bridge on eBay. I was not at all in the market for a newer guitar but the Flamed Walnut Top and Piezo Bridge caught my eye. I continue to track it on eBay and I finally broke down and bought it. I paid $1400.00 for it and I was expecting a lot and I was not disappointed when it arrived. It plays as good and in some cases better than some of my $2500.00 - $8500.00 vintage guitars. It is very bright sounding as most maple neck-thrus are. Admittedly the pick-ups are very different, but I like them.The neck is perfect with tons of sustain. It has all the features that I demand in a workhorse guitar such as 24 frets, coil taps, out of phase and a pre-amp. Its Drop Dead Gorgeous and Plays Like Butter.

Mcalpine and Holdsworth both seem to get great tone out of their Carvins. Still the DC 400 is that clangy machine I speak of. I believe it's the neck through construction. The guitar (and its Tele and LP counterparts) is apparently a neck with cosmetic wings. My theory anyway. If you can get to a Carvin store pick any DC off the wall and see. IMO It takes some pretty fat amplification to get them "rocking" properly.

So is my Rickenbacker 610. It's still an awesome guitar, and IMHO the neck-through construction doesn't hurt it at all.

Plus, if you want to talk brightness, it's ALL MAPLE, with single coil pickups. And again, it sounds great!

As far as the OP's Carvin question, I really can't give a very informed opinion. The few I've played I've only briefly sampled. All of them looked beautiful and had really low action, but they felt and sounded kind of generic to me. Not much in the way of "personality", or at least nothing that really connected with me. YMMV.

• Members

I had a DC 400 with koa body, passive electronics, gold hardware & abalone markers that I bought at one of the shops in Hollywood back around 1990 or so for $300, it was my main axe for tribute shows for quite a number of years, even took it to Japan for an expo gig, a great playing guitar and the looks were drop-dead killer. Wish I still had it; sold it during a famine period.......My only beef was that the gold plating seemed to wear off sooner than it should have, but I guess I sweat a lot.......

• Members

I have a few Rickenbacker guitars including the 620, which is like your 610, but the 620 has the rick o sound stereo/ mono output jack, some fancier binding and the shark tooth inlays.

The fret board width on my 620 is super narrow. It almost takes me a few minutes to cosy up to it, however it's chunkier than my 330.

• Members

I have a DC400 in Koa with active pickups and piezo in the bridge play a lot of jazz and it has a very full sound through my twin. Played it at a jam last nite and it sounded great with the Gretch, Strats and Tele's that were also played. I have had it for years and never had any problem with the neck. My favorite guitar.

• 3 years later...

Archived