LP Jr. vs. PRS SE One

clay sails

• Members

Yesterday at Guitar Center I played a Gibson LP Jr. on sale for around $600.

I had an SE One for awhile that I really liked, and the simple "single pickup" setup and chunky neck were attractive features.

The LP Jr. had a yellow finish, which I also like, and it sounded just fine but comparing the two guitars, the LP Jr. came up short for cosmetic reasons.

The neck of the LP Jr. had an almost plastic finish to it, and in the light appeared to be hastily applied.

The back of the body had a "crease" in the finish -- something I have never found on a PRS, even the Korean models.

I'd still like an LP Jr. but I'm wondering where else they might have cut corners that I can't see.

• Members

Get a used LP jr from a few years back ... they were killer ....

junior.jpg

Agree 100%. I've got a satin white and it's perfect. I've bought a couple guitars since but I keep going back to the junior. I've got finish starting to wear on the neck and where my for arm rests... I've bonded with my junior like no other guitar I've owned.

• Members

Wonderful sounds in the first minute and a half there. What is the amp?

This is exactly what I like about a Junior - can get both the chunky Les Paul sounds associated with humbuckers, but can do a perfect fat single coil/tele kind of sound with the right settings.

• Members

I had an SE One, and while the P-90 was nice (if a little polite-sounding), a single-pickup guitar without a tone control is just stupid.

I have an SE Singlecut that came with two P90s. I agree, the pickups were okay but 'polite'. The OP feels the SE One's have more spank than a Gibson P-90. I swapped mine for Lollars.

• Moderators

I'm a huge Gibson fan - well, fan of the guitars, not so much the company these days. Owned a ton of them, including a lovely '61 Junior.

...I'd take the SE One.
:)

This is my experience too, owned two Juniors, worked on maybe 3 or 4 more and recently owned a Korina SE One that just simply did the Jr thing better, can't quite put my finger on exactly what I preferred about the PRS, but it seemed to have a "come and get me" feel about it, a sort of innate joy

Archived