2TEK guitar bridge before and after comparison

DarkHorseJ27

• Members

I've been curious about 2TEK guitar bridges for a while. Most of the reviews tend to be love or hate. Someone finally put up a before and after video on youtube, and I thought I'd post them for anyone else interested. They aren't perfect, as there was also a pickup change, he doesn't state whether all amp settings were the same, etc., but it's better than nothing.

What I believe I hear in the after video is greater note clarity and articulation. I also believe I hear more sustain but with what he is playing it's harder to tell. These are all things that the 2TEK claims to do.

But I also heard a tonal change I did not like (assuming everything was the same in both videos). It sounded thinner, brighter, and and more shrill. I wonder if that perhaps has to do with the wood that would be under the bridge being replaced with metal. I'd be interested in hearing other's thoughts.

• Members

I'd be interested in some kind of objective, quantitative analysis and comparison between these bridges and standard hardtail/bass bridges. The website says that the design isolates each string, eliminating crosstalk, but provides maximum transfer between the string, neck, and body. Or something to that effect. Seems like that's a contradiction. I'd also be interested in seeing how a similar bridge with just a single steel block of similar mass might sound in comparison to the individual fingers. Not trying to give them grief, just genuinely curious.

• Members

Eliminates crosstalk? I didn't notice a guitar with six separate bodies, necks, pickups, etc. in that video?

If I ever encounter a guitar with a 2TEK irl I'm gonna give it an honest go. I don't wanna say they're junk because the marketing bumph doesn't make sense or anything, but I imagine that you need to hear the results in person before you can really understand what's different (if anything, lol).

• Members

This is a good example of a flawed before and after comparison. #1 the guy should NOT have changed pickups. #2 the guy should have done his before comparison with a fresh set of strings.

I wonder how many people buy a new bridge for their guitar and claim it's thousands of times better than the old one when they had been using 6 month old strings on the old bridge.

Archived