Gibson went after Warmoth over trademark infringments.

DarkHorseJ27

• Members

That's too bad. Shake downs on the basis of potential patent infringement are becoming more common with an aim by the plaintiff of desist and cash settlements being reached without every having to take it to an uber-pricey court trial. It's tough on the smaller companies that don't have the treasure chest to wage the battles in court. Other times, of course, it's quite legit. idn_smilie.gif

• Members

If this is true, I don't wonder that Gibson is after Warmoth. They make a custom guitar for half of what a lot of standard Gibsons sell for and you end up with a truly superb guitar, built the way you want it, not how some engineering and marketing departments have decided you want it.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Deadbeat Son

View Post

Did you click on them? If so, you get the following message:

Ok, so it only shows up on certain pages. I was able to you the body builder to develop an order for a LP style. I think they need to go through the website a little more carefully. So weird for Gibson to do this after all this time... Doesn't make any sense.

• Members

View Post

Did you click on them? If so, you get the following message:

Ok, so it only shows up on certain pages. I was able to you the body builder to develop an order for a LP style. I think they need to go through the website a little more carefully. So weird for Gibson to do this after all this time... Doesn't make any sense.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Steadfastly

View Post

If this is true, I don't wonder that Gibson is after Warmoth. They make a custom guitar for half of what a lot of standard Gibsons sell for and you end up with a truly superb guitar, built the way you want it, not how some engineering and marketing departments have decided you want it.

Except you can't get a set-neck guitar. Or a 24.75 inch scale. So I can't get a Les Paul the way I want it from Warmoth, go figure.

• Members

View Post

Except you can't get a set-neck guitar. Or a 24.75 inch scale. So I can't get a Les Paul the way I want it from Warmoth, go figure.

Uncorrect on both counts. They have necks available with the Gibson scale, and you can order bodies and necks without mounting holes drilled. The assembly is your responsibility, so if you don't have the ability or the tools to do a set neck then it's on you, not Warmoth.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by DarkHorseJ27 View Post
Quote Originally Posted by Deadbeat Son View Post
Uncorrect on both counts. They have necks available with the Gibson scale, and you can order bodies and necks without mounting holes drilled. The assembly is your responsibility, so if you don't have the ability or the tools to do a set neck then it's on you, not Warmoth.
except...

Except the necks and bodies in question are still a bolt-on necks and bodies without holes, not set-in necks with a tenon and a body that can accept a neck with a tenon.

• Members
Wow, so much misinformation, where to begin?

Quote Originally Posted by Reality Check View Post
except...

Except the necks and bodies in question are still a bolt-on necks and bodies without holes, not set-in necks with a tenon and a body that can accept a neck with a tenon.
This is a good start. A bolt-on body and neck without holes does not equal a set neck instrument. A hallmark of set-neck construction is the mortise/tenon joint, which Warmoth parts are not built for. First, you would need to glue a tenon onto the heel of the neck. This would be rather unpractical. After that, you would have to route the mortise into the body. Warmoth parts are simply bolt-on parts, there's no way around it.

Next is the scale issue. Warmoth does NOT build 24.75" scale parts. They build bodies solely designed for a 25.5" scale. They offer two different varieties of necks, a 25.5" neck, or a 24.75" conversion neck. What's the difference between a 25.5" scale body and a conversion neck and a pure 24.75" instrument? I'm glad you asked. The main difference is pickup placement. The pickups in the Warmoth build will not be in the equivalent location to those in a traditional 24.75" scale guitar. While the difference may be subtle, the tone is assuredly not equal.

So, what does this all mean? It means my original statement is accurate. You, sir, are uncorrect.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Deadbeat Son View Post
Wow, so much misinformation, where to begin?

This is a good start. A bolt-on body and neck without holes does not equal a set neck instrument. A hallmark of set-neck construction is the mortise/tenon joint, which Warmoth parts are not built for. First, you would need to glue a tenon onto the heel of the neck. This would be rather unpractical. After that, you would have to route the mortise into the body. Warmoth parts are simply bolt-on parts, there's no way around it.

Next is the scale issue. Warmoth does NOT build 24.75" scale parts. They build bodies solely designed for a 25.5" scale. They offer two different varieties of necks, a 25.5" neck, or a 24.75" conversion neck. What's the difference between a 25.5" scale body and a conversion neck and a pure 24.75" instrument? I'm glad you asked. The main difference is pickup placement. The pickups in the Warmoth build will not be in the equivalent location to those in a traditional 24.75" scale guitar. While the difference may be subtle, the tone is assuredly not equal.

So, what does this all mean? It means my original statement is accurate. You, sir, are uncorrect.
You simply said 24.75" scale. With the conversion neck you end up with a 24.75" scale. So sorry for listening to what you said instead of what you meant. rolleyes.gif

I will admit I was wrong on being do a set neck with Warmoth parts. Posting after a night a drinking is not always the brightest idea. biggrin.gif

However, you can get a bolt-on that sounds like a set neck tonally. The tonal differences between the two has to do with the differences in energy transference. With a tight enough fit with a bolt-on neck the tonal differences are moot. If you like the set neck for the feel and playing comfort high up on the neck, that is a different story. Warmoth does offer contoured heels on the body, but still not quite the same.

• Members
You simply said 24.75" scale. With the conversion neck you end up with a 24.75" scale. So sorry for listening to what you said instead of what you meant. rolleyes.gif

I will admit I was wrong on being do a set neck with Warmoth parts. Posting after a night a drinking is not always the brightest idea. biggrin.gif

However, you can get a bolt-on that sounds like a set neck tonally. The tonal differences between the two has to do with the differences in energy transference. With a tight enough fit with a bolt-on neck the tonal differences are moot. If you like the set neck for the feel and playing comfort high up on the neck, that is a different story. Warmoth does offer contoured heels on the body, but still not quite the same.
To me, the Warmoth body with conversion neck just isn't a 24.75" scale guitar, it's a bastardized scale at best. idn_smilie.gif

Enough of the sidetracking though. Steadfastly is just always so quick to bash Gibson at any chance he can find with biased and non-factual information, and that's what I was arguing. You simply can't build an LP with Warmoth parts the same way a Gibson, Epiphone, or knock-off LPs are made.

I agree it does suck that you can no longer build a Warmoth LP. I was planning to build a 25.5" scale bolt-on single-cut LPS with Telecaster pickups and bridge next spring using Warmoth parts. Now that's no longer possible.

• Members

View Post

I, like 50% of guitar players think the bolt on neck is superior to the set in neck. And you can get a 24.75" scale.

Archived