Classic Series 50's Stratocaster?

dunning-kruger

• Members

Anyone else own one had one or played one, just got one last week, so far its love.gif

but really just want to hear other peoples experiences with this guitar?

Namely how does she fair with other reissues, american, japanese, what are your experiences? Im just curios cause ive been able to test out my Classic series telecaster 50s at a best buy against an american 52 reissue and i got to say i came out thinking my MIM was hotter shit icon_lol.gif

Havent seen one at any guitar center ive been too. I dont know why that is, i just wish i could compare it to another reissue to see how she handles, but every GC i go to dosent have one classic series Tele let alone strat.

Plays great just curios is all.

• Moderators

Quote Originally Posted by frankie pajamas

View Post

but the specs just were not for me. Specifically the V neck and the 7.25 radius. I prefer a flatter radius and a C shape.

For me the best bits about this guitar, imo it just needs some new US pots and pickups to your taste as they are a tad unpleasant, unless lowered as far as possible

• Members

Had one for awhile ... found the stock pickups shrill, harsh and coarse: they sounded the way people who don't like Strats think ALL Strats sound. It improved drastically when fitted with a Kinman AVn Blues set, but the sharpish, unrolled neck edges got irritating after awhile. Eventually sold it to help finance a Custom Shop Jeff Beck ...

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by frankie pajamas

View Post

I owned the a 50s Daphne Blue Strat. Very solid instrument for sure, but the specs just were not for me. Specifically the V neck and the 7.25 radius. I prefer a flatter radius and a C shape. Having said that, it was a beautiful guitar that sounded great.

I have the Daphne also, loaded some Tex-Mex pups and sling 'em low.....love it!! Neck is perfect for me......

• Members

I've got two and they're my favorite non-US Fenders. I love the vintage specs (and the custom color options) and actually don't mind the stock pickups, but have used mine as modding platforms a bit. I've got one with 3 TV Classics in it and one with a Fender Big Apple Strat loaded pickguard. I don't have a MIJ or USA 50's reissue to compare it to, but have played both and I think the MIM 50's has easily been on par with the ones I've played. They seem to be consistently great as well, where as MIM Standard Strats seem to vary (I've played some real duds). Overall, if you're into Strats with vintage specs and custom colors, I'd say they're the best value in the Fender line.

• Members

I had one for a while...ended up sending it back. Quality wise it was great. Sound was killer. Fit and finish were flawless...I just couldn't get on with those vintage frets and the 7.25 radius neck. Too bad as I loved the guitar, but it wasn't a fit for me. I'd love to have a similar guitar with a few changes...satin, modern C neck, jumbo frets and sunburst nitro body....

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Ratae Coritanorum View Post
For me the best bits about this guitar, imo it just needs some new US pots and pickups to your taste as they are a tad unpleasant, unless lowered as far as possible
they already come with CTS pots? dont they, i opened up my classic 50s serires tele and sure enough CTS pots.

really so far the only thing that pisses me off about this strat is the vintage button bean tuners, dont mind them on the tele, but on the strat i dont like it one bit.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by richey888 View Post
I have the Daphne also, loaded some Tex-Mex pups and sling 'em low.....love it!! Neck is perfect for me......
why do people like the pups lowered.

I instincly did this after playing for it for a while and found that the pups needed to be lowered.

Do it to all my strats for some reason. Ive only had two strats in my lifetime.

The last one was only around for a month, i think this one is a keeper, love the 7.25 and feel of the neck, especially the vintage frets.

my other strat was a 12 compact radius neck, and it was good, neither better nor worse but this strat alone feels really nice, not that the squiere MIK was bad, but this is just really good stuff here.

• Members

I love mine, It's mostly stock i've only added bigger springs the the bridge saddles to firm up any buzzes that it had. I even like the stock pickups, quite a range, the bridge is a bit bright and almost harsh, but the other and the "in between" are great. The vintage spec I actually prefered to the other MIM around and the quality was a nitch above them (mine is an 06 that I got used in 08 it was mint with all the tags and stickers on)

I cont compare then to the Higher end reissues, but They are better quality wise than the Squier CVs.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by BoneNut View Post
I have a Classic 50's body on my parts caster. Nice three piece MIM body, none of those 8 or 9 piece horror stories. Good and resonant.
how do you know its 3 pieces?

Ive seen comes squiers better built than MIM's with less peices and no veener, but how would you know the Classic is 3 pieces.

Is this how they made them back in the day to, is it common to find 3 piece MIM' classics.

What are USA fenders 1 piece or 2 piece, i dont mind the 3 piece seing my friends Squier, which is made up of 5 to 7 pieces and no veneer top.

Quote Originally Posted by vintage clubber View Post
This one is a Classic Series '50's strat. I modded it a bit...redface.gif

IMG_5756.jpg
damn NICE!

heheheheh, looks like a David Gilmours from pink floyd!

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by WoodenDuckMaker View Post
I really liked the classic player 50s strats. But I can't dig on the thin vintage frets, and they felt really heavy too, which is why I chose a classic vibe 50s strat over it. Medium jumbo frets, and its lighter weight just made it more inviting to pick up and play.
yeah i was looking at the classic vibes too, they are lighter than my classic series 50s too. for reals, i took my classic 50s to guitar center to test it out after i bought it and the squier was lighter. Good choice!

I just felt like i needed to get the strat to finish the circle in with my classic series 50s tele wich is also a Re-issue with vintage specs, aside from that shes a fantastic player and the best strat ive owned thus far. But i did walk out of Guitar Center wanting that Classic Vibe Tele.

Not that i would have bought it over the classic series cause i got a killer price on mine used, but i just really want it and see my self getting one new or used than pay the extra 50 bucks for the feneder MIM standard, not cause i cant affort the 50 bucks but cause i just think its the better made Telecaster.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by dunning-kruger View Post
how do you know its 3 pieces?

Ive seen comes squiers better built than MIM's with less peices and no veener, but how would you know the Classic is 3 pieces.

Is this how they made them back in the day to, is it common to find 3 piece MIM' classics.

What are USA fenders 1 piece or 2 piece, i dont mind the 3 piece seing my friends Squier, which is made up of 5 to 7 pieces and no veneer top.

damn NICE!

heheheheh, looks like a David Gilmours from pink floyd!
I call it the Lipstick Gilmour...biggrin.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by vintage clubber View Post
I call it the Lipstick Gilmour...biggrin.gif
what year is yours. mines an 08.

did you change out the pickups? how does it compare to your other strats?

fit, finish, and build on mine are superb on mine, 5 stars and i dont say that alot.

and are they really 3 piece bodies, mines surf green so i cant tell? is that how they made them back in the days out of fullerton?

i really bought this out of tradition above else.....yeah i know..... but i live like 7 blocks aways from fender avenue so im biased like that out of tradition.

I know the trem and electronics like the pots and switches are like the ones found in the american ones CTS stuff, ive opened up my tele classic series to confirm.

• Members

I have one in daphne blue. It's one of my favorite strats. I have several strats, but this one feels good to me and it has a nice tone. Lots of resonance to it. Now the MIM Strat I got that I did not like (that sounded shrill and harsh) is my Jimmie Vaughan.

Sometimes it might be a matter of getting the better pick of the litter. idn_smilie.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by GAS Man View Post
I have one in daphne blue. It's one of my favorite strats. I have several strats, but this one feels good to me and it has a nice tone. Lots of resonance to it. Now the MIM Strat I got that I did not like (that sounded shrill and harsh) is my Jimmie Vaughan.

Sometimes it might be a matter of getting the better pick of the litter. idn_smilie.gif
ive read the JV strat is veneered? maybe this is something to do with it idn_smilie.gif

interesting to note that the JV has tex mex, i like them alot but im finding i like these Vintage Single Coil stock pickups better, especially after i lowered the pickups!

Archived