What's the deal with DBZ guitars?

chimi

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Holy Thread Resurection !

OK, let's get a few facts in order. DBZ first started making almost all of their imports in China and had problems. It didn't take long for Dean Zelinsky to yank all the mid-range models from China and send them to World Guitars in Korea(the highest quality Korean guitar manufacturer). This happened about 2 years ago. The low end stuff is still made in China and is as you would expect. The Korean/World Guitars models are excellent, many with Original Floyd Rose trems(no, not the Chinese "Special") and real EMG 81/85 pickups. I personally own 4 of these guitars and they are excellent, excellent and did I say excellent ? Having a contact with DBZ, I was told that all these Korean models go thru extensive checking and setup at the USA shop. DBZ refuses to do "2nd's", they just won't sell them. The Korean models are great guitars. Just look for a serial number that starts with a "W".

Now, onto 2012. Dean Zelinsky was at NAMM 2012 and then something happened. DBZ Inc. filed suit against Dean Zelinsky for breach of contract. That lawsuit was dismissed by the judge. The DBZ Forum has been down for at least 6 months now and nobody seems to know what is going on with DBZ. I have no clue if Dean Zelinsky is still associated with DBZ. Anyone know what's going on ?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by clintb

View Post

Not calling anyone a liar man, I'm just simply pointing out that I've shown and played these guitars for all my guitar buds and - NO JOKE - they all flipped for these guitars, a couple went out and bought one right away. So maybe liar is harsh, but the integrity from that post just doesn't seem accurate so I call bullshit. That's my opinion. They are pretty rad ass guitars! Try one.

In a DICK way. Be nicer.

• Members

FWIW, I own a Chinese Palomino 390, and it is a really nice guitar considering what I paid for it.

The low end DBZ's are going for under $200 on world music supply. I played one of the DBZ V type ( uber thin, very pointy) and while it is not my type of axe, it was well made, well finished and reasonsbly priced.

The Dean guitar I want is that Guady Mississippi Quenn model. I played it through a THR10 and had a blast.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by slvrsrpnt View Post
huh, thank you for the update, his other new company has a weird looking thing on the neck of the one model

z-glide.jpg
Now THAT made me sit up and take notice. I like his new company's aesthetic sense much better than the previous attempts...

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Looks like the original discussion's over, but that won't stop me from giving my opinion.

DBZ is just like Dean in the way that the American-made one's are the ones worth playing while the import models go anywhere from 'meh' to 'HELL NO'. The main model I was interested in from them was their Bird of Prey. I tried a few import models(EMGXs, offset headstock, import floyd) at my local guitar center and was surprised with how not special they are. Not a single thing that I did or didn't like about them. For my tastes, it was a perfectly average guitar. Now when I tried the NAMM prototype models(mainly the MIA BoP with the symmetrical/floating logo headstock, EMG 81/85s and an OFR, although I did try the others) I was absolutely floored and nearly refused to go home without one(they weren't for sale).

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by slvrsrpnt View Post
huh, thank you for the update, his other new company has a weird looking thing on the neck of the one model

z-glide.jpg

Sure it looks weird....but imagine the amount of grip when bending strings!facepalm.gif

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Well, I guess DBZ if officially dead. Nobody will talk about the company, nobody will talk about Dean Zelinsky so I can only assume he has left the company for good. The DBZ Forum has been down for over 6 months now and I think you can figure out why.

In fact, if you look at DBZ's website, they have removed all mention of Dean Zelinksy.

Archived