Is there a best way to 'dull' a finish?

Hand Amputation

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by billybilly

View Post

The best way is not to do it. Reason, you will always see lines where you have attempted to bring the shine down (even with 2000 grit paper or fine steel wool). It will not look good, but that's just my opinion of course.

^^^ This. That's a gorgeous finish.

• Members

On a poly finish, a green scotchbrite will dull it nicely. Bear in mind that with a poly finish it is damn near irreversible to go back to a gloss, If you even have the slightest doubt that is how you want it, I would just spray it with satin or flat clear lacquer. No sanding, no scuffing, just wipe the guitar down with lacquer thinner before you spray it. Matte lacquer is very forgiving. You can't mess it up when you spray unless you go too heavy and it runs. When you tire of it or decide it looks like ass (it will), you can remove it with lacquer thinner and not affect the gloss poly beneath.

• Members

yeah 'just play it' wont work at all. you will never in a million years dull an entire poly finish evenly by playing it. you might get some worn spots here and there after 10 years but thats it.

also, you can get a poly finish thats been dulled to shine again with rubbing compound and finishing compound.

I used scotchbrite and sandpaper on my MIM Tele here, it had a matte look when I was done but I didnt like it so I buffed it back up to shine. Now its not as glossy, but only a tad less. I even went through the finish you can see near the electrosocket the white line
black3-1.jpg

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by HanSolo

View Post

On a poly finish, a green scotchbrite will dull it nicely. Bear in mind that with a poly finish it is @#!*% near irreversible to go back to a gloss, If you even have the slightest doubt that is how you want it, I would just spray it with satin or flat clear lacquer. No sanding, no scuffing, just wipe the guitar down with lacquer thinner before you spray it. Matte lacquer is very forgiving. You can't mess it up when you spray unless you go too heavy and it runs. When you tire of it or decide it looks like @#!*% (it will), you can remove it with lacquer thinner and not affect the gloss poly beneath.

IMHO then, this is the way to go. Forget the steel wool.

• Members

Here is a link to a huge thread on this:MyLesPaul I did a Hamer import a while back. Used a ScotchBrite pad and did it all by hand. Removed all the hardware and electronics and did many small swirls until scratches were no longer visible.

Before

903908_4539.jpg

Flamey Neck - Before

903908_9240.jpg

Backside - Before

903908_9811.jpg

AFTER PHOTOS
(Flash is on for all of these photos)

903908_5955.jpg

903908_2659.jpg

W/ Hardware & Pickups

903908_7850.jpg

Frontal

903908_6573.jpg

Backside

903908_9873.jpg

Neck

903908_6070.jpg

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by noisebloom

View Post

Other forumites have reported getting a matte finish -- dulling the finish slightly -- using a Scotch-Brite pad..

Scotch-Brite is the way to go. Don't use steel wool in the same room as magnetic pickups.

• Members

My srv strat has a thick poly finish. I've owned it coming up on 5 years now. I have taken no great strides to protect it, gigged it often (transporting in a gig bag and hard shell case) and it is slightly, ever so slightly, less shiny then when new. The gold on the bridge did rub off a little and there a couple of minor dings in it.

My point is; poly is darn near indestructible. I would try the scotch brite on the back and see if you like it. If it were mine, I actually wouldn't attempt it - it's a beautiful guitar as is.

• Members

^^^ I think he was trolling. ^^^

Plus, I don't waste my precious Medicine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EI6XnU8leA

To Frankie Pajamas:

PERFECT. That's exactly what I would like to accomplish. Thanks for the link!

I don't think it's that absurd to start a thread like this. I mean there are arguments about knobs and pickup selector switches, why not something like this!

wink.gif

Archived