what type of pickup doesn't work in a SG?

Cliff Fiscal

• Members

I had a Duncan Distortion in mine and it sounded tighter than a gnat's ass and way too thin, though the guitar is an Epi Goth SG. I replaced the Distortion with a DiMarzio Tone Zone last night in the hopes of beefing up the sound but quickly discovered I need to get a drill bit to enlarge the holes for new CTS volume pots I'm putting in, so I haven't checked it out yet. biggrin.gif

I'm thinking it'll be an improvement, but I noticed you might be looking for something that'll work as well for lower-gain rock tones as well as some heavier and are probably prefer something else. I think lower-output humbuckers often tend to be brighter, though. Maybe that Dream 90 or similar pickup would be a good one to try for you.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by rushtallica

View Post

...but quickly discovered I need to get a drill bit to enlarge the holes for new CTS volume pots I'm putting in...

OT, but the tool you need is a tapered reamer. A drill bit would work, but not really the proper way to go about it with a good chance of messing up the finish.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Fiscal View Post
band plays heavy punkmetal.

I like lighter rock
Well, sometimes the Gibson 496R/500T can do amazing things for a guitar. They never sound muddy, and they don't tend to sound uber bright either. They can tame some of the ills that guitars often have. I have to say my perception of those pickups changed, from thinking they were purely metal, to realizing that in some guitars they sound quite chimey and vibey.

First time I had them in a guitar was a '76 RI Explorer. They didn't do much for me in that guitar unless I cranked on the gain and then they gave me a big grin. But then I bought myself an Explorer Pro (also with the same p'ups) and for some reason in that slightly smaller Explorer they covered a lot more territory. I have a Yamaha SG700S, tossed the original p'ups for a SD '59 and PG. The '59 sounded very muddy in that guitar, but too thin when split, and the PG sounded like an ice-pick. Next try was the 496/500. The definition was now there in the neck and the bridge EQ was now more flat and pleasing.

One thing I've learned about p'ups is that its hard to judge them just by the name. They do take on their own characteristics depending upon the guitar you plop them into, so seriously YMMV wink.gif

Archived