Short-scale electric guitars that hold their tuning

Austin_Moxie

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by stunningbabe

View Post

Matters not if the OP has gone away. This thread still helps others who are looking for a small guitar.

I've been looking for treat like this.Very helpful.If someone can suggest a 24 1/2 higher end shredder.Will check the Mustang at GC though.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Quote Originally Posted by Phil O'Keefe View Post

AllThreeShortscales1.jpg
Beautiful short-scale collection, Phil!!! love.gif So envious of the Shell Pink one...and with a neck pickup only! thumb.gifthumb.gif My thing.

Quote Originally Posted by hifrets View Post
I've been looking for treat like this.Very helpful.If someone can suggest a 24 1/2 higher end shredder.Will check the Mustang at GC though.
Look into a few Mustangs...see if you like they way they play/sound in general...then put a high gain pickup in there! Dimarzio Tone Zone S FTW.

• Members

A good guitar with a good setup will hold tune fine regardless of the scale length...on the other hand dont let a longer scale length scare you from another guitar...i have small hands also and have owned scales from 24"- 27" with no issues...after a little getting used to it you can adjust to longer scale length no problems...or just get a good setup on your shortscale.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Honestly, your guitar may not stay in tune because either the nut is binding or the tuners are sub par. You may not need a whole new guitar- just a set up or maybe some cheap Wilkinson tuners are in order. If you are going out of tune because your string attack is too aggressive for the gauge of strings being used on your short scale, try upping the gauge.

That said, I think the Squier Jagmasters are a blast. They have 22" scale length and bends are a breeze. The neck on mine is super comfortable and I think the Jag shape is sexy as hell. They're cheap and you can practically steal them used on Craigslist (got mine for $110 with a nice Levy's gig bag). The humbuckers are not Lollars but they are quite serviceable when set at the appropriate height.. I blocked the trem on mine so I can't comment on how well it works. Tuners are fine. Cheers!

• 6 years later...
  • Members

Austin if you are still on this thread, I have a few useful experiences to share. I purchased a Squire Mini Strat for my daughter who is a petite 10 year old. My experience was exactly the same as yours. Both the floor model mini and the boxed model have terrible intonation. There are some things that I did to improve them.

1. The tuners were not fully tightened down, so I tightened them

2. the bridge and saddle adjustments were off, ie.. at the 12th fret everything was sharp, so those got set accurate and lowered where beneficial.

3. It’s the top 3 high strings that suffered the worst from poor intonation, the Low E, A and D seem to fair better, so I got a few medium ( heavier gauge) sets and am still experimenting with an 11/14/18 (EBG) set and a 12/16/24 (EBG) set... I also got a wound 20 which I will try on the G string and will probably use the 30,42,52 wounds from the 11’s set.

4. I opened the nut slots accordingly

5. MOST IMPORTANTLY..  I found that I have to play with the least amount of grip pressure that I can train myself to play at. For chords this is really tricky because I’m so used to classical and steel acoustic guitars... but it was actually chording too hard on those factory light strings that created the worst ‘out of tune experience.

i also did a fret job and am finishing up a French Polish on the neck, so I’m invested in this starter guitar for her. But I think a proper set up with heavier gauge (especially E,B and a G {preferably wound}), combined with a light chording touch will vastly improve your staying in tune. If you can troubleshoot like I did this tricky issue.. the mini strats have a lot else going for them.

Archived