Short-scale electric guitars that hold their tuning

Austin_Moxie

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Grantus View Post
Isn't playability related in large part to a player's preferences?

It's not about pain, it's about preference for me. If you think playing a certain kind of guitar makes you strong, you've got a lot to learn about life.

You play what you want, I'll play what I want. If you think I'm a wuss for playing what I want, that's your problem, not mine.
LOL, who gives a tinker's damn what he says is a cop out. Ask him if he wears shoes two sizes too large in the hope of growing in to them. LOL, one size fits all guitar, now that's funny.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by Austin_Moxie

View Post

I'm a very petite woman learning to play, and I have a Squire mini-Strat that goes out of tune constantly.

Mini strats are decent guitars that come with really terrible tuners. Ditch the stock ones and put a good set on. Use heavier strings (at least 11's if you're tuning to standard) and make sure you're not wrapping too much string around the post. Should stay in tune just fine after that.

• Members

If you want to do standard E a 24" scale is what you want.

IMO Get one of these Jay Turser's
24" Single cut_$140

Black.
http://www.target.com/p/Jay-Turser-7...1/-/A-13204608

Red.
http://www.target.com/p/Jay-Turser-7...1/-/A-13204609

White.
http://www.target.com/p/Jay-Turser-7...1/-/A-13204604

24" V_$50 (Sold Out)
http://www.samash.com/p/Jay%20Turser...20Pack_1678248

Read about in the good deals thread.
http://acapella.harmony-central.com/...t-lt-READTHIS*

• 1 year later...
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by cephus

View Post

petite or not, those mini strats work very well with standard strings. I tried 11s and 12s on one I had and that was better. But I find that those work great if you tune them up to G. Like every string tuned up to the 3rd fret. then the tension is proper and it just functions more like a normal guitar.

This is the answer. I was just about to suggest stringing to G or A standard for better tension.

Quote Originally Posted by Austin_Moxie View Post
I'm a very petite woman learning to play, and I have a Squire mini-Strat that goes out of tune constantly.

I'm wondering if there are other short-scale electrics that might be more steadfast? Someone once recommended a Danelectro to me. Any advice?
Stay away from the ultra-short (22.5" / 22.7") scale lengths. They're really TOO short, and IU've found that getting them to stay in tune is challenging. I have fairly small hands, and I personally prefer the 24" scale.

e0d411f0.jpg

I have a few short scale Fenders. You have to play them first though - some have thicker (from front to back) necks that can, IMHO, offset (no pun intended) the advantage that comes with the shorter scale length, making them almost as hard to play as a 25.5" scale length.

In other words, neck profile is as important to playing comfort as scale length is. Aviod anything U shaped or chunky, and look for necks with a slim C or soft V profile.

I have an original '65 Mustang neck that's way too U shaped - too bad, because it's in beautiful condition for a nearly 50 year old neck. I have a early / mid 90s era MIJ Mustang neck that's spectacular - in general, those made in Japan Mustangs from the early to mid 1990s have a reputation for extremely thin necks. However, since it's a Mustang, and Mustangs have a Dynamic Vibrato on them, a proper setup job is essential in order to keep it in tune. My Mustang stays in tune great, but not nearly as well as my '75 Music Master (also spelled 'Musicmaster' in earlier years). The models made from late 1964 on were offered in both 22.5" scale and 24" scale - like I said, avoid the earlier (pre-64) models and the super short scale models and stick to the 24" scale Duo Sonic II's, Musicmasters and Mustangs.

Oh, I did add a set of $10 compensated brass saddles to my Duo Sonic / Musicmaster. That made a BIG difference in terms of intonation. The guitar is a rock - it stays in tune!

Here's my three short scales - all are 24". From left to right, it's a Duo Sonic II ('75 Music Master conversion) a Musicmaster (single neck pickup version of the same guitar), and a '71 Mustang.

AllThreeShortscales1.jpg

I have some full-scale guitars too, but these are my favorites to play - especially the seafoam green one. That's my baby. It was restored and converted partially at home, and partially at the Fender factory, with help from a friend of mine who is a master builder for Fender.

Don't forget about the Fender Jaguar. It's also a 24" scale neck. The recently discontinued Squier Duo Sonic is too - it looks like the older 22.5" scale Duo Sonic models, but uses a 24" "conversion" neck.

Whatever you get, you really should try to play it before purchasing it - I've had to struggle with similar issues regarding neck preferences for years, and because of the variances between individual guitars, the only way I've found to get what I'm comfortable with is to play lots of different guitars until I find the ones that have the necks that feel best to me.

• Members

Here's a question. The PRS SE Santana has a 24.5 scale neck. All of my other guitars have 25.5.

Since the length is a decent bit shorter, would I have more "range" of pitch drop with Santana's tremolo over the Fender scaled guitars? I don't want to fool with another Floyd (but love the range) and thought the Santana's shorter scale might buy me a bit more pitch dropping due to more slack.

• Members

Here's a question. The PRS SE Santana has a 24.5 scale neck. All of my other guitars have 25.5.

Since the length is a decent bit shorter, would I have more "range" of pitch drop with Santana's tremolo over the Fender scaled guitars? I don't want to fool with another Floyd (but love the range) and thought the Santana's shorter scale might buy me a bit more pitch dropping due to more slack.

• Members

If you think you're getting abuse for being a wuss playing a short-scale guitar, try playing a short-scale bass. I'm always surprised at the number of players who think the length of the neck is somehow connected to the size of their junk.wink.gif

Archived