Maison Les Paul copy, any good?

TheSkyIsCrying

• Members

I would say they are okay - typical mid-quality early-mid 90s MIK guitars..:) - must have been made by one of the larger factories (Cort or Samick) as I distinctly remember a guy from a Danish music store telling me how several of their MIK electric and acoustic guitar lines (e.g. Takamine) from time to time erroneously had been given the name Maison..

• Members

they`re all over the place in Japan and honestly...I`ve never been tempted even though they`re real cheap...maybe because they`re real cheap.

Yea, I just saw one today in Aomori. Just another LP copy, nothing special.

• 5 years later...
  • Members

I know this is an old thread, but I've been hearing stuff like this for years in music shops.... The Maison 'Let's Play' Les Paul copy is a damn good guitar only let down by it's pick-ups. I stuck a set of Gibson PAF's on one and I would defy you to be able to tell the difference blindfold. With a proper set-up and a re-dressed neck it's silky smooth, sustains for ever and growls like the real thing. Build quality is very good for ten times what I paid for it, and I've played many an Epiphone, and a few Gibsons as well, that this guitar blows away. DON'T get hung up on the 'it's a Gibson/Fender/PRS, whatever, it costs a fortune so it must be good' myth, my PRS was duff straight out of the box! Ibanez was a 'cheap' make back in the 70's.....I know, I had one. Yes there are obviously better guitars than this on the market, but if you can find one with a set neck in decent condition and at the right price, GRAB IT.. they are VERY sought after by those in the know.

• 6 years later...
  • Members

I found a used lefty Maison LP-38 on a trip to Shinjuku last year for around $30.  TK Gakko was selling it cheap because it normally would have come in a starter kit and they didn't feel it was worth having in the store without the rest of the kit.  I've been very happy with it.  Nice action, good sustain.  

Funny story.  I was leaving that day to return to the states.  I didn't have any Yen left on me so I called my wife to come down with some cash (no credit cards allowed for such an inexpensive purchase).  As I was dealing with my better half complaining about having to make the trip down to the store, another American came in.  I could see by his air guitar playing to the Japanese sales clerk that he 1) didn't know Japanese, and 2) was a lefty.  I made a joke that I already found the only left axe in the store!  When I told him that I was having trouble getting my wife to come down with the cash needed for the purchase he offered to loan me the amount.  Nice guy, he could have taken the guitar right from out of my hands.

I made my purchase, we took a selfie together with the guitar and then exchanged addresses.  Back in the states I sent him $30 and a big thanks.

Been happy with the guitar ever since.  

Archived