• Members

My vote would be:

no guard

rosewood (or similar dark matching wood/grain) truss rod cover (isn't the headstock veneer rosewood? or use whatever you used for the headstock). That one is too busy/jarring, and a cheap black plastic cover simply doesn't suit the guitar. A cover that matches the headstock would look very classy.

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I gotta say I had liked the idea of the wood truss rod cover.... till I saw it... I think the black would look better.

As for the pick guard... Frankly I like pickguards on LP's, so Im biased... [what is strange, becouse I dont use a pick....] so I would install it if it was mine.

• Members

Definitely no on the pickguard, don't want to hide home made custom work. That's like grandma putting all those radishes on top of her award winning potato salad.

I for one think the wood truss cover is a must. Fits in very nicely with the feel of what you are creating.

• Members

Excellent progress Freeman! I always enjoy checking this thread.

As for your two questions, my votes are as followed:

Black plastic truss rod cover

Yes pickguard, but in a darker cream to match the pickup rings.

I agree, if you go with a Guard, then it needs to match the pickup rings. I do like it with a Guard tho.

As for the TRC, Could we see the burst one in a pic of the whole guitar? Maybe it'd make more sense if we see it along side the body's colour.

• Members

Thanks everyone. For right now I'm going to leave the p/g off - I don't use them on my acoustics and once I drill the holes I'm committed. If I start to scratch it I can always put one on.

And I'm going to play around with the TR cover some more - it was kind of fun to make the maple one but I'm not too crazy about it. I've got some rosewood scrap - maybe I can make one with a very fine around the edge - I'll experiment and see what happens.

Tonight I'll post some pictures of setting it up - today we are going out to hunt our Christmas tree.

• Members

My vote would be:

no guard

rosewood (or similar dark matching wood/grain) truss rod cover (isn't the headstock veneer rosewood? or use whatever you used for the headstock). That one is too busy/jarring, and a cheap black plastic cover simply doesn't suit the guitar. A cover that matches the headstock would look very classy.

Agreed on all counts.

I think it looks great without the pickguard. Normally, I like pickguards, but with this particular guitar, it doesn't seem like the PG belongs. I also think a dark wood truss rod cover is in order; the sunburst doesn't look right and the black plastic one doesn't fit either. Keep up the great work, and keep posting updates!

• Members

Since you're asking, I think that one would look great in a "black guard" treatment - like this with a black guard:

les-paul-refinish-54.jpg

Suggestion FWIW: While you have it still apartable, perhaps line the electronic cavities with copper tape which you then run to ground. This provides shielding and helps reduce noise issues. I've found using a star ground throughout with 50's wiring is also a marked improvement over stock.

• Members
Agreed on all counts.

I think it looks great without the pickguard. Normally, I like pickguards, but with this particular guitar, it doesn't seem like the PG belongs. I also think a dark wood truss rod cover is in order; the sunburst doesn't look right and the black plastic one doesn't fit either. Keep up the great work, and keep posting updates!

Agree - rosewood or ebony

• Members

Suggestion FWIW: While you have it still apartable, perhaps line the electronic cavities with copper tape which you then run to ground. This provides shielding and helps reduce noise issues. I've found using a star ground throughout with 50's wiring is also a marked improvement over stock.

Verne, what is a star ground? I have grounding issues with my paul.