Home made Les Paul

Freeman Keller

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Freeman, I don't understand this:

and mark the "zero fret" line with a half round pencil. I want to approach this line as I cut the slots

Awesome work, BTW.

It just shows what the fret height is in relation to the nut. Used as a guide to shaping and slotting (depth) the nut

Great Job on this build!

• Members

Freeman, I don't understand this:

and mark the "zero fret" line with a half round pencil. I want to approach this line as I cut the slots

Awesome work, BTW.

As Atrox says, that is where a fret would sit right in front of the nut. Some guitars have a "zero fret" - the nut slots locate the strings from side to side but a piece of fret wire actually sets the height. I have taken an ordinary wood pencil to my belt sander and sanded half of it away, when I lay it on the first couple of frets it will extend their height back to the nut. In theory I want the bottoms of the slots exactly at that line, however I approach it slowly and use the other two measurements do check (a feeler gauge on the first fret and putting a capo on the 3rd I tap the string over the first fret and listen for a little ping).

You'll see how the nut height works with the other parts of the setup in the next exciting episode......

• Members

As Atrox says, that is where a fret would sit right in front of the nut. Some guitars have a "zero fret" - the nut slots locate the strings from side to side but a piece of fret wire actually sets the height. I have taken an ordinary wood pencil to my belt sander and sanded half of it away, when I lay it on the first couple of frets it will extend their height back to the nut. In theory I want the bottoms of the slots exactly at that line, however I approach it slowly and use the other two measurements do check (a feeler gauge on the first fret and putting a capo on the 3rd I tap the string over the first fret and listen for a little ping).

You'll see how the nut height works with the other parts of the setup in the next exciting episode......

Gotcha'. Interesting approach. I just do the feeler gauge when cutting nuts.

• Members

I haven't had the pleasure yet, but it's bound to happen.
:)

When you do, let me know. There are a bunch of tricks for setting up a twelve string - spacing, nut depth, intonation, etc. Mine have each string of each course compensated individually - the saddle looks like a rip saw blade but they play in tune. Lots of people feel that a 12 is hard to play - set up correctly they can be a pleasure.

• Members

Time for Electrickery

First I needed to hog out the switch and control cavities. I should have done this a long time ago, at least before I started the finish. Oh, well. Using the Forstner bit at approximately the same angle as the top and carefully measuring the thickness so the pot shafts would all stick out the same amount

IMG_0765.jpg

I prewired the switch and mounted it

IMG_0785.jpg

Installed the pickups (no picture, sorry) and the pots (notice how I cleverly wrote on each pot what its function was - since everything is upside down and backwards it would be real easy to do something stupid)

IMG_0786.jpg

and wired them all together following the schematic that came with the parts.

IMG_0787.jpg

Incidently, I'm using the Parson Street humbuckers - they are half the cost of Gibson or some others and right now I wouldn't know the difference. As I get wiser I could always change them. I also just bought the basic wiring kit from StewMac - standard 500K pots, 0.02 mf caps, some shielded and unshielded wire. I did do the trick of reversing the switch and pickup wires which means that if both pups are selected turning a volume control down won't turn the whole thing off.

I also had one other brain fart at this time - I knew I needed to drill a hole for the wire to the "string ground" at either the bridge or tailpiece stud, but I had totally spaced it. I did it now (again, sorry, no picture) but realized that there is no way to connect to the stud so I just pushed the wire tight against in and super glued it in place. If I get string hum I'll have to pull the stud, fan the wire out and reset the stud so it makes better contact.

This doesn't look like a lot but it took most of the day last saturday. Next, a little set up

• Members

Time for Electrickery

First I needed to hog out the switch and control cavities. I should have done this a long time ago, at least before I started the finish. Oh, well. Using the Forstner bit at approximately the same angle as the top and carefully measuring the thickness so the pot shafts would all stick out the same amount

IMG_0765.jpg

I prewired the switch and mounted it

IMG_0785.jpg

Installed the pickups (no picture, sorry) and the pots (notice how I cleverly wrote on each pot what its function was - since everything is upside down and backwards it would be real easy to do something stupid)

IMG_0786.jpg

and wired them all together following the schematic that came with the parts.

IMG_0787.jpg

Incidently, I'm using the Parson Street humbuckers - they are half the cost of Gibson or some others and right now I wouldn't know the difference. As I get wiser I could always change them. I also just bought the basic wiring kit from StewMac - standard 500K pots, 0.02 mf caps, some shielded and unshielded wire. I did do the trick of reversing the switch and pickup wires which means that if both pups are selected turning a volume control down won't turn the whole thing off.

I also had one other brain fart at this time - I knew I needed to drill a hole for the wire to the "string ground" at either the bridge or tailpiece stud, but I had totally spaced it. I did it now (again, sorry, no picture) but realized that there is no way to connect to the stud so I just pushed the wire tight against in and super glued it in place. If I get string hum I'll have to pull the stud, fan the wire out and reset the stud so it makes better contact.

This doesn't look like a lot but it took most of the day last saturday. Next, a little set up

Beautiful guitar and a super, squeaky, clean wiring job. You are my hero Freeman!

• Members

Beautiful guitar and a super, squeaky, clean wiring job. You are my hero Freeman!

I am by training an electrical engineer and a million or so year ago I used to build stereo and ham radio gear. I had seriously considered building a tube amp to go with this before I scored the old Gibson one.

Tomorrow I'll do the final setup and tweak the pups - its getting closer.....

• Members

Freeman I have to say this looks cleaner and better built than my Les Paul from Gibson.

of course it is! this is hand built by someone who put not only hard work, but also passion into his own instrument!

Bravo! been following this thread since the beginning. You better post clips of it singing when you're done! :thu:

• Members

My vote would be:

no guard

rosewood (or similar dark matching wood/grain) truss rod cover (isn't the headstock veneer rosewood? or use whatever you used for the headstock). That one is too busy/jarring, and a cheap black plastic cover simply doesn't suit the guitar. A cover that matches the headstock would look very classy.

Archived