Lets see your Kaman "GTX" .

EdgeOfDarkness

• Members

Originally posted by jrfan

A friend of mine has one that was given to him.

It's just your typical plywood body strat copy.

Were there other body styles? The neck on his is badly twisted and barely playable.

well alrighty then! I was going to say that I had no clue what a Kaman GTX even was...:eek:

:wave:

• Members

The GTX was a budget B.C. Rich/Jackson clone. Usually found in some obnoxious crackle finish. I picked one up when I first started playing, and even THEN I could tell it was crap. Stamped tin hardware, cheap pups, plywood body, jagged fretwork, ugh.... The only good place for them is a landfill.

Other than that, they're killer guitars. :thu:

• Members

Originally posted by jrfan

A friend of mine has one that was given to him.

It's just your typical plywood body strat copy.

Were there other body styles? The neck on his is badly twisted and barely playable.

They had a bunch of different models and most had crazy graphix.

Made by the same people who make Hamer ,Ovation ,Takemine, Gretch drums..and Gilbratar (Kaman).My buddy still has both of mine and they still play perfect and sound really good.I would'nt call them Crap compared to most of the stuff on the market today.They did have there "Cheap" models just like the rest of the companies.I started on a Harmony.the GTX was a major improvement and offered the wild 80's look to starters without having to buy a $800 charvel or jackson.

gtxflb2.JPG

Some reviews from the LP copy.

http://www.harmony-central.com/Guitar/Data4/KAMAN/GTX_36-1.html

• Members

After looking around a bit, I'm finding they DID have some models that seem to have better hardware. The ones my local shop had were the low, low end competition for the B.C. Rich platinum series, which back in the day was the bottom of the barrel series from B.C. Rich.

KANE_GTX33.jpg

A decent looking example. I'm still looking for the cheapie ones..

• 1 year later...
  • Members

I sold my GTX 23 a while ago, and I still regret getting rid of it. Killer axe, but the plywood body was starting to crack at the neck and wasn't playable anymore :(. Here's a couple pics I saved:

DSC00243.jpg

DSC00001.jpg

Here's an old pic. Most of that gear has been replaced since then!

DSC00306.jpg

I also had a GTX 36 (LP copy), and I stupidly got rid of that one, too.

• Members

I sold my GTX 23 a while ago, and I still regret getting rid of it. Killer axe, but the plywood body was starting to crack at the neck and wasn't playable anymore
:(
. Here's a couple pics I saved:

DSC00243.jpg
DSC00001.jpg
Here's an old pic. Most of that gear has been replaced since then!

DSC00306.jpg

I also had a GTX 36 (LP copy), and I stupidly got rid of that one, too.

I uese to have that very same guitar:eek:

• 5 years later...
  • 6 years later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Members

I'm surprised at all the negative. I've been playing for 48 years and have owned well over 400 guitars. I have a red 1985. The beck is straight. The tonation is right on and it plays better than any fender Stratocaster I've ever owned. Sometimes you get a freak.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Learned on one. Would love to find another just for nostalgia’s sake. If memory serves correctly it wasn’t THAT bad. Double covered single coil and a bridge humbucker, Floyd copy, three way switch, vol and tone knob, and maybe a mini switch or three. Reverse headstock, shark fin inlays, and that sweet sweet red crackle finish. I thought it was the most amazing looking guitar at the time, as it was the mid 90s, and ‘my’ first electric guitar experience. I played electric guitar (badly) in my small church’s praise and worship youth group band and the leader (and my guitar mentor) let me borrow it for over a year. Busted out some SWEET G/C/D progressions on that beast through an old DOD Grunge into an old Crate 2x12. Unlike the Lord’s grace, tone was never found! 😂

1142C5FB-2D00-479E-B88D-028E00060ABA.jpeg

1142C5FB-2D00-479E-B88D-028E00060ABA.jpeg.08fe3bd3b70332f46207f6c9da39ae35.jpeg

• Members
On 9/3/2020 at 7:40 PM, Docmath said:

I'm surprised at all the negative. I've been playing for 48 years and have owned well over 400 guitars. I have a red 1985. The beck is straight. The tonation is right on and it plays better than any fender Stratocaster I've ever owned. Sometimes you get a freak.

damn

Archived