Everyone who "left" are welcome back..

Jkater

• Members
36 minutes ago, AlamoJoe said:

I wasn't here in 2013, so this thread has no relevance for me.

You're not missing anything. It was like Lord of the Flies. There was a core group of "cool kids" that knew all of the secret handshakes and inside jokes and jumped all over any outsiders that didn't fall into line.

• Members
On 12/29/2019 at 2:21 PM, Grant Harding said:

You're not missing anything. It was like Lord of the Flies. There was a core group of "cool kids" that knew all of the secret handshakes and inside jokes and jumped all over any outsiders that didn't fall into line.

Actually...I guess I have to correct myself. I checked my profile and I joined in  Feb 2013. I really was just putting my foot in the water here. I was a noob to forums at the time. I lurked a lot then, I lurk a lot now. I have become aware of the social situations you allude to though. Not in this particular HC forum though.

• Members
On 12/29/2019 at 10:21 AM, Grant Harding said:

I stayed away from it but the repulsion was the apparent musical ignorance of the mass. Trolling is no substitute for competence.

• Members
On 12/29/2019 at 5:09 PM, Mr.Grumpy said:

Picher, Oklahoma is also "better" now.... 

Gosh, I sound bitter, don't I? Yes, the new forum software works great. Phil and Dendy do a great job too. No problems there. 

But there's just not enough activity....not enough posters and threads and posts. Yeah, there's a small core of regulars and semi-regulars, but with so few people it just feels clique-ish. It lacks the 'critical mass' of regular users. 

The amp forum was totally like that. But you know what? The online "fights" and discussions and trading of insults were interesting and sometimes hilariously funny...it was 'compelling content'  so I'd check the forum several times a day. I think the effects forum was like that, to a lesser degree. The EG forum was pretty mellow by comparison; at least as I recall. 

My first post on HC, a "how much is my amp worth?" thread was met with a couple of sarcastic responses and then silence. I stuck around anyway.  I've always lurked and posted in the different sub-forums, and I don't understand the mentality of many posters here who stick to one or two of the forums. 

There's also the thing where I'm kind of burned out on social media. I find some users' online personas to be grating, and I'm sure there are people whom I annoy.

I wish all you a healthy, prosperous and peaceful 2020. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I left when they started changing the software, as did most others. It never ran well and made the experience here very frustrating. Management's excuses that they had to change because of the hacks were disingenuous at best as the Mandolin Cafe, where I've been hiding out, still uses the same forum software without issue.

I did find it interesting to watch as forum managers seemed to purposefully destroy the community - this used to be the largest online music forum that got reduced to crickets in a matter of months. It seemed like they were purposefully doing everything to alienate the community and were extremely successful at it.

But enough whining - it's nice to see software that actually works (after how many years?) and I hope the community comes back in some form or another. Music has changed in the decade or so since the melt-down and instrument choices have changed, so we'll see.

• Members
1 minute ago, J Backlund said:

Whoa! I just woke up and found myself here. Been a long, long, time.

The place looks a lot different from when I was here last....where'd 'Cool Jam' go? 

If you're logged in, it'll be near the bottom with the other Jams. Otherwise cloaked.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Today is the first day I've been back in a while. A couple years ago I was documenting a build that I never finished. I think I stopped by last Christmas to share a guitar that I was surprised to receive as a gift (a red DeArmond Starfire). It's since become my number one. Currently on the fence about buying an old body to start the assembly of a new project.

Archived