gordy guitars?

j*h

• Members

anyone have any info on this brand of guitar?

apparantly a gordon smith spin-off,anyone own or played one?

i played one today in a local second hand shop and was blown away!

bright pink and white swirled body,neck through,quality hardwear,stainless frets,played and sounded killer!

i have placed a deposit on it,it will be mine very soon!

cant find much info on them though,anyone have any ideas?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

anyone else have any experiance with them?

A friend of mine owns 4 gordy guitars. 2 of them he had custom made, they are both similar to a jackson soloist. the first one is black with a bolt on neck, 22 jumbo frets, reverse headstock kahler trem, the guitar was built around the mid 1980s the second is white with a through neck 24 fret scalloped board, a floyd rose trem. Both these guitar are fantastic. The atention to detail/ workman ship is outstanding. I will try and get pictures of them. The other two Gordy guitars he owns are standard production models of that time.

Can I ask how much you paid for your guitar? I would love to see pictures of it.

• Members

A friend of mine owns 4 gordy guitars. 2 of them he had custom made, they are both similar to a jackson soloist. the first one is black with a bolt on neck, 22 jumbo frets, reverse headstock kahler trem, the guitar was built around the mid 1980s the second is white with a through neck 24 fret scalloped board, a floyd rose trem. Both these guitar are fantastic. The atention to detail/ workman ship is outstanding. I will try and get pictures of them. The other two Gordy guitars he owns are standard production models of that time.

Can I ask how much you paid for your guitar? I would love to see pictures of it.

i have posted pics of it in a ngd thread today,its an amazing guitar.

thanks for the info and some pics would be great!

• Members

i have posted pics of it in a ngd thread today,its an amazing guitar.

thanks for the info and some pics would be great!

Yeah thats the same as one of the production models my friend has, it resembles a status bass, his has a flame maple top. He has upgraded the trem to a 'wilkinson/ gotoh VG100' and installed an 'LSR' roller nut and fitted 'Spertzel tuners'. yours must have been a custom order with that paint job. The 'M.G.C' logo on the bridge stands for 'Manchester Guitar Company' ;) Next time Im over at my friends I will get some pictures of his gordy guitars. :thu:

• Members

Yeah thats the same as one of the production models my friend has, it resembles a status bass, his has a flame maple top. He has upgraded the trem to a 'wilkinson/ gotoh VG100' and installed an 'LSR' roller nut and fitted 'Spertzel tuners'. yours must have been a custom order with that paint job. The 'M.G.C' logo on the bridge stands for 'Manchester Guitar Company'
;)
Next time Im over at my friends I will get some pictures of his gordy guitars.
:thu:

that would be wicked!cheers buddy!

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Members

Gordon Whitham and Chris smith were originally Gordon smith guitars, based in partington, Cheshire.

They split up some time in the 80's and Gordon after the an agreed trading agreement then set up Gordy guitars.

I knew Gordon personally and had a few sessions playing around altrincham,hale and around.

Gordon was a really good bass player, his band was called shytot!

In fact Gordon bought my JBL fender showman 15's speakers.

He did a brilliant job repairing my Gibson les Paul, some jerk in a club knocked it over and snapped the top of the neck clean off.

I then bought a custom made strat shaped Gordy to my own spec. Maple neck,black with silver speckles, three pickup, with a built in booster.

30 yrs on I still have it it it plays brilliantly, and has always been the partner on stage with my LP.

I kept in touch with Gordon over many years, he did a repaint on my gold top and it is still as good as new.

Gordy guitars was set up at the coach house behind Volvo motors on wash way road in altrincham.

Gordon is a great person who I miss for the occasional drop and chat and I aways remember the smell of the cellulose.

I think my Gordy is one off but only Gordon could confirm if he made others to my spec.

Other close friends were Dave Curbishly on drums who I also played with in that era.

I tried on occasion to make contact with Gordon through linked in etc but as yet not been able to make contact.

I recently had some work done by another old school luthier called Brian Eastwood, in Bacup Lancashire, he knows Gordon well too and had seen him recently, he told me that Gordon was doing some teaching.

Wherever you are Gordon mate, get in touch, I'm sure we'd have a good nights conversation over a Guinness or two. My treat.

Anyone want to share their Gordy moment contact me please.

Paul ( from Stretford)

• Members

Hello Paul,

My name is Mike and I used to knock around with Gordon's YTS apprentice, Andy Evans, back in the day, we both lived near each other in Flixton. Gordon built my Gordy Strat back in '84 which I still have to this day. It is black with Schaller machine heads and pickups. A Swiss guitar-repairer even commented on what a lovely guitar it is when he adjusted and set it up again a couple of years ago. 

Last time I spoke to Gordon was back in early 2000 as my Gordy needed drastic repairs after nearly drowning in a flooded music room in a basement next to the River Limmat in Z

• 5 months later...
  • Members

I was lucky enough to have Gordon build a Telecaster type Gordy Custom ( number 00107 ) for me in the 80's and what a special instrument it is. It's birdseye maple top is 'lightly antiqued' with goldish fading with twin humbuckers, coil tapped and pre-amp equipped. I have gigged with it through several bands and it has performed exquisitly. I have only replaced the input jack through wear. The neck is puuurfect, exactly to my preference and I cannot fault the instrument. It is weighty and that's how I like them. Goron fitted it with a Schaller bridge, again at my request and Grover mini's.

It was a privilige to work with Gordon and his staff on the build of this fine playing custom guitar. Gordon listens and advises where necessary and nothing was ever too much trouble. I know of other Gordy owners who have had similar experiences with Gordon and I can only say it is a shame that he no longer makes these exceedingly high quality instruments. Definatly not mass produced. There is a difference!

I would recommend anyone to try/buy any one of his signature guitars 'True Classics' that will stand the test of time.

• 6 years later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Members

In 1988 I found a "Gordon 5" fretless 5 string Bass (for £200!) in the original Curly Music in Liverpool. Having done some serious pre Internet investigation, I found out it was made by Gordon Whitham in 1986. The build and finish were top notch, I had that Bass for years before selling it to my mate in the mid 2000's. This was pre Gordy and MGC days,  so I presume it was early into the split from GS......

• 8 months later...
  • Members
On 12/5/2021 at 7:09 AM, keith white said:

i have a gordy 1810s pink clouds.would like to know what sort of value it has. its in top mint condition with lozenge case.

keith

Welcome 

I really can’t help you with the value  But you  may get more responses if you star a new thread. People have a tendency not to read a ten year old thread