Value of vintage guitars with neck repairs?

Cliff Fiscal

• 4 years later...
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Somebody asked why a person would pay the same price for a vintage guitar with a broken neck as they would for one that was never broken.  I know that not everybody subscribes to this, but many guitarists believe that every guitar has a different, unique energy to it.  I have a Gibson B-25 natural, and the neck has been broken two times.  Both times I had it fixed by amazing professionals who did a beautiful job.  With the first repair, I can't even detect where the break occurred whenever I try to remember and show people.  That guitar has been played on by many a highly a skilled and passionate guitarist and has many neat little stories to it.  It has been tweaked (without replacing any of the original parts) to the point where it still plays just as gorgeously as when it was new- probably better.  If I were to ever sell it (which I wouldn't) I would try to sell it to a skilled and knowledgable guitar enthusiast.  I would want it to continue to be loved as much it has been thus far.  My father is an automechanic, and I once asked him how long the life of a car is.  He responded that you can keep a car going forever and ever if you keep fixing it and maintaining it.  The catch is that with cars, the repairs- at some point- become so expensive that it becomes cheaper to just buy a new car.  The only way one would continue maintaining the car at that point is if they really loved the car and had the extra money to do it.  Guitars.... kind of similar like that, but on a simpler scale.  If it's a vintage and the sound is just unbeatable, what's a musician to do?  Sound is everything to us music geeks.  If an instrument has an addictive sound and you've got the dough, you NEED it.  Neck repairs or no. 

• Members

SugarB wrote:

I know that not everybody subscribes to this, but many guitarists believe that every guitar has a different, unique energy to it. 

Many people believe in psychics and angels, too.

The variability between the same model guitar is HUGELY overstated by cork-sniffing types who want to believe that a particular instrument has magical powers, like a fetish object. Hell, guitar variability in general is overstated, even when not comparing apples to apples. 

"Repaired" instruments are gold for musicians. They let players get their hands on great gear for massive, massive discounts over unrepaired, even though they're functionally identical. Between spooking off the 'collectors' and the OCD types, the most trivial and irrelevant repair can lead to 70, 80, even 90% off.

A lot of times, collectors try to conflate their absurd sentiments with practical justifications but that narrative never withstands scruitiny. The 'collector' market of anything is never practical, invariably driven by people who register somewhere on the Autism spectrum, the obsessive overvaluation of irrelevant minutiae and ego-driven sense of competition to out-acquire one another.

Collectors collecting can influence the markets, but nothing worshipped at their altar is relevant to a guitar player interested in guitar as a medium to make sound.

• Members

RJpilot wrote:

I hope you guys don't consider this drift but what about a refret? That shouldn't lower the price right?:poke:

Frets are like strings.

The  difference being the fact that you don't change them as often.

My old strat has been refretted five times in thirty years.

Archived