Value of vintage guitars with neck repairs?

Cliff Fiscal

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I know nothing about the used vintage market, but there are only "Y" amount of 19?? Brand X guitars. Every year their condition and number gets challenged and (usually) every year brings anywhere from 2 to 750,000 people interested in getting their hands on one.

• Members

Used to be Gibsons with headstock repairs were common to find, and cheap at that. Now I see 70's Gibsons with headstock repairs, and people are asking $2k+ for them - yikes!

Overall, I'd say that a neck repair makes the vintage value about half of one without a repaired/broken neck.

• Members

Depending on the break and how well it was repaired a vintage guitar with a neck repair will be up to 50% less than one without a broken neck...that said last time my old band did a reunion show our other guitarist, Peter Stroud, played an original 1956 Les Paul Custom that head a repaired headstock break...the guitar sounded awesome and stayed perfectly in tune.

• Members
I hope you guys don't consider this drift but what about a refret? That shouldn't lower the price right?:poke:

depends on age, 50s-60s guitars yea,

but anything newer not really, if its a players instrument (ie a decent guitar form the era) most will be refretted due to playing wear, im allways dubious of these 'mint' vintage instrument, iv ifs never been played theres a high chance its a lemon imho. i recently got a 71 lp thats had a refret (at a good price) and i t smokes! best guitar ive ever owned. no neck break though.

gib3.jpg

• Members

I hope you guys don't consider this drift but what about a refret? That shouldn't lower the price right?:poke:

If the refret is done right, with the same wire as original, it shouldn't have an impact on the value at all...

Would you rather buy an old guitar with worn-out frets, that are 'original', or an old guitar that's been refretted with stock wire that's now as playable as when it was new?

Archived