Yamaha DG Stomp?

AlexMC

• Members

I've heard consistently great reviews of Yamaha's DG range of solid state modelling amps and liked the tone here:

[video=youtube;lKWfWzDC-Tw]

[video=youtube;n_NF0j239no]

I've got my eye on a DG Stomp (pre-amp only); am I gonna get essentially the same range of tones as from the amps... and is it likely to work plugged into the FX return of my small tube amp?

• Members

The DG amps were said to be among the best modelers at the time.

I am a tube amp guy and have been for a long time as both a player and a technician. I carried 100lbs of Twin Reverb around for fifteen years. I currently use a SF Princeton Reverb and a Mesa Boogie Subway Blues.

My main amp and the best amp I have ever owned however is a Yamaha DG-80. The very thing that makes tube amps great is also their weakness. The DG amps have captured the great parts without out the weaknesses.

When I discovered Line6 AmpFarm in the studio I was tired of lugging the Twin and decided it was time to look at new amps. I rented a Flextone for a weekend and my wife said "That sounds like a synthesizer, you're not selling your Twin." When I brought home the DG-80 she said "Now that sounds like you".

If you are looking for a magic box that's going to make you sound like someone else, the DG may not be for you but if you are a player and want an amp that's going to help you express yourself and not get in the way, then I highly recommend it.

I've had my DG-80 for nearly as long as I had my Twin and spent zero on maintenance. Tubes alone would have cost over $1k.

I would think the DG Stomp into a high quality power amp and speaker would work very well although I do not have direct experience with such a setup.

• Members

The DG Stomp was/is my favorite modeller. Very natural and organic sounding, and much warmer clean tones than most modellers. I would easily take it over anything made by Line 6, or even Vox. The same tones people praise about wih the current Yamaha THR series is right there in the DG. And used Stomps being available in the $75-125 range, they are very affordable to try out.

That said...I thought the modilated effects were just passable.

• 10 months later...
  • Members

I highly recommend this preamp/pedal.i've had a dgstomp for many yearsand,the magicstomp, dg60amp,dg80amp.I've downsized recently and kept [forever] the dgstomp. dont need computer to access programming[magicstomp], I can plug into headphones [use cab sim], 10 inch amp,bass amp, keyboard amp,PA, twin of any sort,stack of any sort, mixing board, w/ cab sim. I can show up any place with the DG stomp. if correct output settings are used [to mixer,amp,power amp in . ..]  this preamp/fx pedal truly kicks ass. sounds like a huge tube amp, or tiny tweed amp, great for harp amp,great dirty leslie simulation for keys or guitar, stereo leslie will make everything spin, pingpong tremolo will stop all conversation. Dirty sounds, shimmering clean, your imagination is the only limit. set your input levels [read the manual all you whiners]   and jam out .forever.

Archived