Why is Matt Cameron so underrated?????

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I have listened to a lot of people talk about the best drummers but i've never heard anyone mention matt cameron! I mean the guy's style is so unique when you hear him you automatically know who it is. Plus to be the drummer for both Soundgarden and Pearl Jam and having the singer ( Chris Cornell, Eddie Vedder) say that " this is the band " at every show should be worth something.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
  • Members

Well, I think he's a great drummer, but I don't bring him up because I don't really care for either of those bands.... in fact I HATE Pearl Jam....Eddie Vedder's voice annoys the hell out of me.

I loved Motherlovebone....I thought that Andrew Wood was one of the most promising singers in America, and if he had lived they would have gone on to much greater things than Pearl Jam will EVER do, but unfortunately, Wood was a junkie and died.

I have a funny home video of him talking about opening for Skid Row....he wanted to tour arena's as Skid Row's opening act beacuse he said he could go onstage and say, "Your mother smells really bad" and the crowd would just go wild.

It's funny to hear him saying it.

It's a marketing promo video that I got from Concrete Marketing when Motherlovebone first got signed.

As far as Soundgarden goes...I saw them when they toured for the first record (the 4 of them in a white van) I think they werte on SubPop at the time....there were just a few people at the club, and they had just ...no, it was the day that they signed with the major label, because the label "bought the club out" (meaning the label paid the club for the full capacity) and they let people in for free.

I liked "Superunknown" or whatever it was called (the CD with Spoonman) but the rest of their material just didn't do anything for me for the most part. (I also have the CD with Jesus Christ Pose, and I have whatever has "Big Dumb Sex" on it-in fact they may be on the same CD - I don't rememeber) but I just didn't care for any of their other stuff.

Tim

• Members

Originally posted by Fafnir777

I loved Motherlovebone....I thought that Andrew Wood was one of the most promising singers in America, and if he had lived they would have gone on to much greater things than Pearl Jam will EVER do, but unfortunately, Wood was a junkie and died.

Tim

Hey, I was a big Mother Love Bone fan too! Andrew Wood was a great singer. I see Mother Love Bone as a transitional band. They helped edge out the riffy hair rock of the 80's by paving the way for the more stripped down 70's-ish retro metal/punk of the 90's. Pearl Jam is in a different league all together in my books. These guys helped define a generation.

On topic:

Matt Cameron? Awesome.

• Members

Now is he the second Pearl Jam drummer or the original.

I actually do not like the later drummer at all.....no passion. Not sure who the original drummer was....but he played for the song so well....and make their first album glued together for me anyway!

• Members
Originally posted by Snake

Matt Cameron is Pearl Jam's 4th drummer actually. First was Dave Krusen for Ten, then Dave Abbruzzese for 2 or 3 albums, then Jack Irons (formerly of the Red Hot Chili Peppers) for 3 or 4 albums and now Cameron.

ahhh....then i only know his work from SG - which i liked. The second drummer SUCKED...so does Jack Irons for that matter.

• Members

Check out "The Wellwater Conspiracy" albums. This is Matt on drums as well as some guitars, main vocals etc. He does a lot on these records with John McBain as the other stable partner in this group. Theres been many other people to take part in this project as well and they go on the road with who's available.

IMO the earlier records are the best... and I have no idea what the hell they were thinking on their latest (few weeks out) release.

Anyway, check it out.

• 16 years later...
  • Members
On 11/8/2002 at 11:13 PM, HuskerDude said:

He's one of my absolute favorites!

Mad chops, but if you're not listening for them, you might not notice he's there. :) He's one of my biggest inspirations, and he's in two of my favorite bands, too. :)

this is perfectly said. I've tried to explain that Matt really serves the song always to the point it fits so well that the drums almost fall away if you aren't listening for them. When you do listen, it's even more impressive. Well said by you.

• Members

Who's Matt Cameron?

Srsly, any drummer that makes it to a major release can play enough to come up with credible parts. Play the groove and keep it moving when needed; mostly. That said, besides pearl jam smells funny, the material is typical commercial rock and never moved me to listen. I did like watching Dave Abruzzese's flowing strokes though.

Archived