NGD - Wilshire Pro

Kramerguy

• Members

Got my Epi Wilshire pro in (mail-order from MF).. gave it a test run, action was a little high and strings were a higher gauge than I use, but after playing it, my fingers were nearly black with some kind of graphite or soot..

I de-strung it, polished the fretboard with conditioner (luthiers choice), but the rag I used didn't really have any dirt or stains on it.. I figured maybe it was the strings..

Restrung it, lubricated the strings, adjusted the action and intonated it.. played for a couple of hours, and once again, my fingers (tips) were nearly black again.. whatever it is- it takes a lot of dawn and scrubbing to get it off..  Picked it back up, black again.  WTH?  

Anyone know what it is?  I'm guessing graphite or other machine-type lubricant, but where's it coming from?  Are the frets or inlays just sweating this stuff or something?

• Members

Didn't think about that.. Hell, I didn't even know they did that.  My tech skills and knowledge are mediocre at best.. I can do a setup and some minor electrical work, but I'm no luthier by any stretch.  This is the first guitar I've ever purchased that had a "dirty" problem ever, most clean up nice and consistent residue is a new one for me.. I think I may just return it if it doesn't resolve itself in the next 5-10 hours of play (and several wipedowns).. I didn't sign up for dirty fingertips every time I play it

Archived