Dragonfire is the new GFS.

honeyiscool

• Members

Okay...thinking about putting a set of their humbuckers in my Jagmaster project.  Just don't want to drop a bunch of cash on pups, when I didn't spend a lot on the guitar.

Question is, which of these are going to give me a better tone than the "Duncan Designed" models that are stock in my Squire?  I'd like to change the color of my pups to either cream, or zebra...  Would like a nice classic sounding humbucker set, just not dull-sounding.

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I know this may be an old thread, but I really feel compelled to comment about 'Dragonfire Guitars'.

Run away....as fast as you can.

I bought a kit (Music Man Axis copy) recently. Of the list of problems such as:

1) edge binding was poorly applied, with a 'bubble' so it had to be cut and trimmed.

2) the 'burled maple top' was as attractive as plywood grain and finished horribly

3) The hole for the pickup switch was off center, and the switch wouldn't fit without cutting away more of the hole

4) the Floyd Rose arm will not screw on all the way because of a bad thread on the floyd rose unit

5) other annoyances...

these may seem like petty, small thingas to worry about for a $200 kit, but the BIGGEST fail in this kits is this:

THE NECK IS THE WRONG SCALE FOR THE PREDRILLED BRIDGE CUTOUTS !!!!!!!!!

meaning the neck is a 25 1/2" scale neck, but when in place, the measurements from the nut to the bridge posts are setup for a 24 3/4" guitar, so it's IMPOSSIBLE to set the intonation properly. You would need to set the neck a whole 7/8 (!!!!) of an inch out of the neck hole in order for it to be properly setup.

I contacted Ken @ Dragonfire about this, and his only suggestion was to send back the Floyd Rose and he'd replace it with another Floyd Rose bridge that 'had more range' of adjustment (at my expense). Are you friggin kidding me??? There is NO Floyd Rose bridge that will compensate for 7/8"....that's almost a whole inch off. I asked him to send me a pic of this miracle Floyd Rose but he never gets back to me....it's been a week now.

Sure, it's a $200 kit...plus $100 shipping...plus $50 border fees (I'm in Canada). So basically it's a $350 paperweight.

Luckily I had a spare 24 3/4" neck from an old Ibanez guitar that i fit on this, and was able to set it up somewhat. Once all together, I have a 'playable' guitar using my own parts.

So, if you're considering a Dragonfire kit RUN AWAY... these are made in China mass produced pieces of garbage, and not worth the time and aggravation. Ken couldn't care less about his products, nevermind after sale service...he should be put out of business in my opinion. Absolutly no concern for his customers at all.

It's too bad really...I had planned on buying more kits from him after seeing how this one would go (the LP, SG, 5150 adn RR 'V')...but I won't drop another penny on any Dragonfire product ever again.

you have been warned!!! LOL

Cheers,

PK

• Members

I've ordered a Randy Rhoads kit back in 2009, four Floyd Roses's, over five pick up orders and ordered over 4 necks.

The RR copy kit , surpassed my Jackson / Rhoads bolt on guitars by a long shot. The tremolo units were perfect, can do the classic warble / chirps and returns to perfect pitch everytime I dive bomb.

I ordered the Hot Rail Stacked Humbuckers and they sound pretty much like a mix of a Dimarzio YJM ( now called a HS4) / Dimarzio Chopper and has some reminiscences to a 1980's Bill Lawrence L-250. I put a Gold covered Vintage Gold Screamer for a Epiphone LP Custom and it put it in the same ball park with my 1974 Gibson LP Custom, tonal speaking. As for the regular Screamers, I think they modeled it from the S. Duncan JB class pick up. All the necks were perfect, except for one. But Ken took care of it and sent me the right one with no fuss. All the other necks were just perfect for assembly right out of the box.

I have nothing but good to say about Dragon Fire.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

pkeppo wrote:

I know this may be an old thread, but I really feel compelled to comment about 'Dragonfire Guitars'.

Run away....as fast as you can.

I bought a kit (Music Man Axis copy) recently. Of the list of problems such as:

1) edge binding was poorly applied, with a 'bubble' so it had to be cut and trimmed.

2) the 'burled maple top' was as attractive as plywood grain and finished horribly

3) The hole for the pickup switch was off center, and the switch wouldn't fit without cutting away more of the hole

4) the Floyd Rose arm will not screw on all the way because of a bad thread on the floyd rose unit

5) other annoyances...

these may seem like petty, small thingas to worry about for a $200 kit, but the BIGGEST fail in this kits is this:

THE NECK IS THE WRONG SCALE FOR THE PREDRILLED BRIDGE CUTOUTS !!!!!!!!!

meaning the neck is a 25 1/2" scale neck, but when in place, the measurements from the nut to the bridge posts are setup for a 24 3/4" guitar, so it's IMPOSSIBLE to set the intonation properly. You would need to set the neck a whole 7/8 (!!!!) of an inch out of the neck hole in order for it to be properly setup.

I contacted Ken @ Dragonfire about this, and his only suggestion was to send back the Floyd Rose and he'd replace it with another Floyd Rose bridge that 'had more range' of adjustment (at my expense). Are you friggin kidding me??? There is NO Floyd Rose bridge that will compensate for 7/8"....that's almost a whole inch off. I asked him to send me a pic of this miracle Floyd Rose but he never gets back to me....it's been a week now.

Sure, it's a $200 kit...plus $100 shipping...plus $50 border fees (I'm in Canada). So basically it's a $350 paperweight.

Luckily I had a spare 24 3/4" neck from an old Ibanez guitar that i fit on this, and was able to set it up somewhat. Once all together, I have a 'playable' guitar using my own parts.

So, if you're considering a Dragonfire kit RUN AWAY... these are made in China mass produced pieces of garbage, and not worth the time and aggravation. Ken couldn't care less about his products, nevermind after sale service...he should be put out of business in my opinion. Absolutly no concern for his customers at all.

It's too bad really...I had planned on buying more kits from him after seeing how this one would go (the LP, SG, 5150 adn RR 'V')...but I won't drop another penny on any Dragonfire product ever again.

you have been warned!!! LOL

Cheers,

PK

Sir.

You simply are measuring wrong

IMG\_1129.JPG.IMG\_1128.JPG

• 10 months later...
  • Members
I think the bigger issue with GFS is that it's just not as cheap as it needs to be if you're going to make exceptions for bad service.

I'm surprised to hear this. While I am not a fan of GFS pickups or their low end parts, I think they fill a niche for the type of person looking to make changes (not necessarily upgrades) to their low dollar guitars.

Their marketing lingo has (IMHO) long exaggerated the quality of their products, but in my few dealings with them customer service was top notch. Jay G. FetiSh was also pretty intent on keeping on top of complaints as well.

• Members

Hate to help resurrect this zombie thread but Guitar Parts Online/Dragonfire was the only place I could find a reasonably priced 8 hole pickguard for my Fernandes. Other than that, I would've probably bought elsewhere.

Archived