Ghost Builds ? Here is your education punks

Dr. Scottie C

• Members

Our resident hero Scott Groves takes you to school on Ghost Builds and makers who say they are USA (but never were whatsoever.....ie: Kramer)

More spoilers.....

* Ibanez is NOT an actual guitar company......all 100% ghost build.....other companies make them.....the LOGOS then applied......according to Groves..... Satch & Jems (for example)...made in California.....Ibanez "J-Craft" logos thrown on.

* Ed Roman made Van Halens guitars in the 1980's that said "Kramer" on them.

* Your Gibson..... likely not made by Gibson. Gibson's played by famous artists....absolutely/100% not made by Gibson.

* Schecter doesn't make guitars. Schecter makes none of it. Sub contracted.

* Gretsch USA guitars of today = actually made in Japan

* 12 different companies make "USA Gibson" and regardless of whether they say "Made in USA"...not 100% true.

Informative.....but pack a lunch..... 48 minutes long.

• Members

kayd_mon wrote:

Ok, so I can't watch this now. But how true is it? Does he give any proof?

Honestly..... I think the guy is about 80% on the money.

You know..... (and this is a true story)..... Groves doesn't live but 25-30 minutes from Ed Romans famous Las Vegas Showroom of guitars...... the story I was told by an employee of Roman's on another guitar forum.

--- Guy walks in to the showroom....wasn't in the building 90 seconds....points to a Schon guitar from the 1980's that was marked $2k, and says "I will give you $1600 for that $1500 guitar, now leave me alone and I may pick out some other stuff......and don't BS me....I get the OHSC with everything or you can keep it."

--- Roman goes over to the guy....they don't "argue" per se.... but they are definetly having a pissing contest over who knows more about guitars and music.

--- Said guy walks around....picks out 21 more guitars for a total of 22...... and offer $28,000 for all of them..... Roman says "Not a penny below $30k"...... The guy says "$29,000, you deliver them to this address, as I can't put 22 guitar in my car.....and I will have cash waiting."

--- Roman agreed..... the guitars were delivered the next day as it took them a while to find the cases for some...... they were delivered to Scott Groves by two employees...... and he had $29,000 cash waiting.....and they said he spent 2 hours inspecting every guitar when they delivered them.

• Members

Dr. Scottie C wrote:

Our resident hero Scott Groves takes you to school on Ghost Builds and makers who say they are USA (but never were whatsoever.....ie: Kramer)

* 12 different companies make "USA Gibson" and regardless of whether they say "Made in USA"...not 100% true.

Then what DO they make at that plant in Nashville?

• Members

A very well known guitar tech in my city Steve Unicapher in 2003 took a job at Gibson Nashville.... over the few years when he would come back to visit, we would all tease.... "so, uh, Steve... did you happen to grab a Custom Shop Lester or two for us on your way out the door."

He would say "Don't get me wrong, I love working there, but we really don't make that many guitars. We make tons of parts that we ship out, but I can't believe how few guitars we make."

Now.... I am not saying that this proves that Groves is right..... BUT.... with Gibson now whoring out these "faded" and "gothic" and other "affordable" lines over the last decade.... you would think a full time employee at the plant would see an abundance of guitars if they were being produced right there.

• Members

@lz4005

That's what I expect is the real case. The thing I'm curious about is the claim that something is MIA but is really a total import - not that materials didn't come from somewhere else (is there any USA-grown rosewood, for example?) but that they're falsely stamped.

• Members

Companies have played fast and loose with the country of origin for a long time. It isn't nearly as simple as most people think it is.

The rules change from year to year about exactly how much of the manufacturing process has to be done in country to be able to claim origin. Sometimes you can say something was Made In USA if the final assembly was done here, like bolting on the neck and screwing in a loaded pick guard, even if all those parts were made somewhere else.

If you have parts made in 4 different countries, finish applied in a 5th and assembly done in a 6th, what do you claim? Different countries have different laws about it. Canada is very strict about labelling, for example.

It also depends on what kind of inspections and verifications are going on. I'm sure a lot of guitar companies got away with inaccurate country of origin stamps because nobody was checking on them back in the 80's.

People have gotten too used to reading country of origin as shorthand for quality. You can make terrible instruments in the US and you can spec (and pay for) great quality instruments from Korea.

• Members

Elias Graves wrote:

Ghost build implies hiding the maker's identity.

Subcontractors are merely that. Look at the back of a Gretsch electromatic. "Made in Korea." That's no a "ghost build." That's a subcontractor.

Mr Grove is a dumb motherfukker.

In reaction to him several people dug up a lot of information and posted it here, and now we are all better for that knowledge.  Perhap Scott Grove is a tad smarter than we thought.

Archived