Anyone intersted in the Squier Army?

Cooley

• Replies 852
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Here's my walnut Squier Standard Tele. Upgraded with GFS pups, a 4-way switch, new pots, and a "Vintage-Modern" hybrid bridge. Plays great and with the hotter GFS pups and 4-way, sound 4 kinds of coool: cutting twang, mellow, thick roar, and warm. I love it.

walnut01.JPG

walnut02.JPG

• Members

MIK Squier II with GFS Lipsticks
lipstick3qn.jpg

My Main player. '85 MIJ 57 style with Callaham bits and Vintage Vibe SP-90's
1202056img1nk.jpg

'85 MIJ "Rock Strat". Factory 24.75" scale. Many mods biggrin.gif

1202006img3am.jpg

And ya cain't have no dangum Squier army widout no dangum BULLETS biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

str35tr.jpg

• Members

The fist Squier I ever bought was a piece of shite.

Thinner denser plywood body, a rippled finish from the uneveness of plywood, totally crappy tuners (so chunky that precise tuning was a challenge), a serious problem with a high fret, over-hot but dull pickups, the strap button came out cuz "between the layers of plywood" doesn't hold screw threads well and the switches and hardware were crap. But that was back in the mid 90's and they even cost more back then. Over $200 10 years ago. eek.gif But they were MIK.

Now they cost even less (in real dollars), the tuners are better; they're using, if not the best, at least solid woods.

I now think they're a decent instrument'

My Squier Army:

'51
Tele Custom II
Affinity Tele butterscotch.

And yes, that strat I bought for my son is still kicking around, but with some substantial mods now.

• Members
Uploaded26-03-06217.jpg

My Squiers are in this picture.... do they qualify me? The Strat's pups and wiring are now in the red no-name copy on the left (does that make it a Squier at heart??), and it's awaiting arrival of a set of Switchcraft pots and wiring and GFS Strat size lipsticks.

The Epiphone LP Std I bought some years back was actually my second choice after a Squier tele - didn't have the money to go MIM Fender at that point and got a good deal on the Epi.... really wanted a tele but Squier don't produce any lefty Teles. The only lefty models they do are the Strat (Affinity and Standard) and the P Bass special - real PITA, as I'd love a Tele Custom II, and a 51.... and I think I might even have been persuaded to buy and uprate a Tele Custom rather than go to the time and expense of tracking down an imported CIJ onew (which I will do eventually). FWIW, MIM Fender aren't much better - they only do the Std Strat and Tele and J bass lefty. And no maple board option on the J bass either. mad.gif

I'm watching ebay for a nice white or preferably black righty Affinity Strat going for a real steal so that I can turn it into a Hendrix project - some nice pups and that'd do the trick, I think.... other details close enough (though I might be *really* naughty and rebadge the neck! eek.gif ). I would also, if i find one at the right price when i have the cash, give serious consideration to a Supersonic - didn't buy one cause of lack of lefties when they were available new, regret it now - wish I had Hendrixed one, like the guy from At the Drive In (later Mars Volta).

Archived