What would you get your drummer for X-Mas?

notjonahbutnoah

• Members

4 loko

Haha, by the look of that guy, you're probably right. Eesh.

Well, hey, since this thread kinda jumped off a cliff... thought I'd share what I ended up going with:

This, for the front of his bass drum.

He had a little bobble head, but that's just impractical. Now the dark side will be with him always.

• Members

if it were me, the cymbal stand sleeves/felts would be good. i play a backline kit at rehearsal, and there're NEVER cymbal sleeves on the stands. i usually have to improvise something and i never remember to buy the damn things to just have when i'm at the drum shop.

but that's particular to my situation.

if ya know his preferred sticks, a couple pair of those would be fine. same for heads, even if it's just a snare head. brushes would be pointless unless he's a brush player. and all drummers have like 1000 drumkeys, so i'd say that's pointless, too.

• Members

Get him two of these:

Evans Magenetic Drum Key

19540_m.jpg

They are magnetic so they won't fall off the tension rod while you're tuning, they have the knurled top for quicker tuning, great quality, and you always want two so you can quickly go around when changing heads. Way more useful than a pair of brushes or a stick bag ;)

/drummer runs and hides

• Members

Yeah, sticks or heads would be good. I just wanted something more personal.

Might still grab him some sticks.

Personal is good, but sticks are getting pricey these days. I'd be pretty happy if a bandmate got me a couple pair.

Of course, other answers depend on what you want to spend.

-Felts, wingnuts, etc. are always good...especially if you use a rehearsal space or a backline kit frequently.

-A customized front head for his bass drum would be sweet (or REALLY lame) but is expensive.

-Heads

-Every drummer needs a misguided, personalized t-shirt of some kind.

-A promise to always tell him IN ADVANCE what time load-in is, whether he needs a full kit, etc. (Ok, maybe that's just my ultimate wish.)

-A percussion toy like a shaker, jam block, cowbell, tambourine, etc.

-A bottle of booze/12-pack of beer (NICE beer, you cheapskate. Cheap beer better be a case!)

-An assortment of cheesy wrist bands. You know how we drummers sweat. At least you'll provide a conversation piece for the chicks in the crowd.

-A subscription to Modern Drummer

-A drum DVD...Jojo Mayer, Neil Peart, Carter Beauford, Tommy Igoe...

I could keep going...

• Members

How about a volume control. Just a thought.

Here are instructions on building one of those for free:

Option 1 - Playing without monitors

Step 1: Start playing at less {censored}ty venues. If step 1 is not an option consider that your band may suck, but continue to step 2.

Step 2: Place your guitar and bass cabs slightly behind the drum kit and aim them slightly toward the drummer.

Step 3: Play your guitar and bass at a reasonable volume so the drummer will be able to hear you, but will have to play with dynamics to do so.

Option 2 - Playing with monitors

Step 1: Set your guitar and bass amp volume to a reasonable level and get a good mix on them in the monitors.

Step 2: Provide the drummer with a dedicated monitor. The two douchebags in the front who each have their foot on a monitor can share one if there aren't enough. Not giving the drummer his own is your own fault.

Step 3: LEAVE ENOUGH TIME TO CHECK STAGE VOLUME. Making sure the drummer has a mic or appropriate hand signals to give feedback to the soundguy, turn the monitor volume loud enough to be heard at or just over the REASONABLE level at which you set your amps in step 1, but tell the sound guy not to turn it up any significant amount after that...even if the drummer says so. (Corollary: Don't be a douche and start cranking your amps mid-set or this will defeat the purpose.)

Step 4: Enjoy your reasonable volume show.

• 2 years later...

Archived