Pickups that sound like Eddie Van Halen

lincoln40

• Members

Is there any pickups that sound like Eddie Van Halen's humbucker on the first 6 albums, the famous brown sound. I have seen some companies claim they have a pcikup that does, but have any of you experienced for sure, a pickup that souds like the brown sound.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Buy a USA made Wolfgang. It is all in there. I have one for sale if you are interested.

I love the pickups in the Wolfgang, but they aren't exactly what I would consider good for getting early EVH tone.

I've got a couple of guitars with Seymour Duncan Custom Custom (SH11) in them and they get reasonably close with the right amp and setting.

Somebody Get Me A Doctor

And this one is actually a Dimarzio Tone Zone:

Little Dreamer

Both of those are recorded through a Peavey Classic 30 too. I'm not saying it's a perfect EVH tone, but it gets in the ballpark.

• Members

What about the EVH line of pickups? I believe Guitar center has the Wolfgang and another model that's close to the earlier EVH sound. They have great reviews. I'm thinking aobut buying one and installing it in a strat style guitar.

• Members

maybe the music he created would sound really good with that tone. maybe thats the sound that inspires his creative side. maybe he plays guitar for fun, and his idea of fun is playing van halen songs. he asked a question, your response is not an answer.

• Members

FYI, all the pickup tone signatures, out puts, resistances, magnets and coil winding techniques of ALL the pickups recommended so far have been ALL OVER the board.

Which goes to show, people are either getting EVH tone with whatever pickup and using mostly their amp and EQ controls, or NOT getting EVH tone at all.

My opinion? a Medium output PAF styled bucker will do.

• Members

To obfuscate things even more, the DiMarzio 36th Anniversary PAF gets very close, although it's Alnico 5. It's a great deal at around $65, depending on where you look. There's also Gibson's '57 Classic Plus, which on paper is a virtual match with Ed's original Frankenstrat pickup.

• Members

evh slapped two single coils together, one ceramic and one Alnico V, over modded the Marshall and used about 3 pedals for that tone.

Recommend you use a Duncan distortion and then throw a monkey wrench into a Tuber amp and enjoy.

I personally disagree with anyone trying to replicate another persons tone but if its your think go ahead.

Archived