The Fine Art of Naming Your Guitar

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Well I've always named my cars...And I've only had two guitars in my whole life that I loved..And one of 'em was my Les Paul (since sold due to finanacial debacle) and I called it 'Ol Black...but I nicked that from Neil Young...And my Stratocaster( Thank God, Still have it) which I named "New Black" Always named all my cars and trucks though..Some male, some female...

• 4 months later...
  • Members
  • Members

I've never named anything except a Kay upright bass I named Rose after the lady I bought it from.

15 years later I sold it back to her practically worn out, needing a MAJOR overhaul.

I've never named its replacement, its just "The Upright"

Like everything else. "The D28", "The Carvin", "The 5120", "The Guild", etc.

But now I have 3 partscasters, all teles.

I guess I better come up with some names to tell them apart:

right now its

1. The Esquire

2. The Danocaster (lipstick tube pickups)

3. The Tele

works but pretty boring.

Old girl friends, I dont think Mrs. Pine Apple would appreciate that too much.

I like past away pets names, Emma, Roscoe, Mrs. Kitty, are some of my old friends I wouldn't mind using.

My grandmothers and aunts (all passed away) Berta, Thema, Gertrude, Ruth. Those are pretty good.

But pretty soon I'm outta names and I prob own 30 instruments.

• 4 months later...
  • Members

" Which brings me to my next point: YOU MUST NAME THE GUITAR AFTER A WOMAN. I've seen guys give their guitars dude names and that's missing the point. The guitar should be named after a wimmin who done you wrong. Also unacceptable: naming the guitar after a fictional character or something silly that you might name a dog. "

Sooo, I'm a newbie. Both to this forum and to guitar playing. In fact I have yet to learn to play. Anyway I ordered my 1st Real Guitar yesterday. A Left Handed Epiphone Les Paul pro model from Zzounds.com, The Tuxedo black model. Very nice and I am thrilled to be getting it.

Coming to work this morning I was thinking maybe I should name it like BB King named one of his Lucielle and I did a search on google which lead me to here. The quote above makes Perfect Sense to me except for one thing.

WHY in the Hell would I want to name something that I will come to love after a woman who did me Wrong????

This part I just don't get.

I have only been cheated on once that I know of and I refuse to name my Beautiful New Les Paul after HER.

Besides, Shirley just doesn't seem to fit and I don't want to be thinking about that woman Every Time I pick the guitar up.

Now, Norma Jean or Rose sounds so much better.

Naming a Guitar is all BS anyway But if there is actually a Proper Way to do it can someone Explain why I have to name my

Guitar after a woman who ripped my heart out and stomped on it......

LV

• 3 months later...
  • Members

I have always named my guitars. My first guitar was given to me from my dad before he went to prison in 1988'. I named her *Sweet Pea* My 2nd guitar was a B.C Rich Bich so rightly so.. I named her *B!tch* my third guitar was another B.C. Rich and named her *Wanda* because the change of the pickups made her whine, scream and cry. My final guitar a Gibson ES-355 I named her *Gabby* because this is the guitar that set me apart from all my friends who continue to play metal. With Gabby I began to change my style to blues and play with more soulful meaning, Gabby gave a look into my soul, and Gabby is short for my daughter's middle name Gabriella, who gives me something to live for each day

• Members
I've got 27 of them. I'm okay with the names the manufacturers gave 'em.

This is all I have to read. I don't name possessions either. Instruments in particular - I can't do any of 'em at the level they deserve why embarrass 'em by giving them life? The only nameless objects that should be named are tits. You could be thusly introduced and forget about 'em.

• Members

I like your post, it made me chuckle.

But I don't name my guitars or saxophones. They are a part of me, an extension of my hands (I know, I'm weird).

But I do name my cars, all but one have been female (the male was a little 140mph sports car), and the current one is Doreen.

Is that OK?

Notes

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
  • Members

I've recently gotten a new strat (black) and I'm thinking about naming her Luna. I've got a bit of a moon obsession and I'm thinking off getting a black scratch plate or a cosmic, sort of galaxy inspired one. Do you think the name would be fitting/ relevant?

I've got an acoustic, named Marley and another strat I call Dude!

• Members
I've recently gotten a new strat (black) and I'm thinking about naming her Luna. I've got a bit of a moon obsession and I'm thinking off getting a black scratch plate or a cosmic' date=' sort of galaxy inspired one. Do you think the name would be fitting/ relevant? . . .[/quote']

As long as the name means something to you, that makes it relevant. As for the pickguard, I've always thought black pearl looked good on a black guitar, something like this:

fetch?filedataid=124120

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...
  • Members

My black body, white pick guard fender mexican strat is named Carmen for multiple reasons actually. Firstly, mexican name, mexican guitar. Secondly, just thought the name went with the colours and most importantly Carmen was a girl I had an online long distance friendship/ kinda relationship with for a few months but then she decided to try and micromanage me and my friend's lives from the other side of the world which resulted in a quick block and a few weeks of frustration. As soon as I named her I instantly felt more connected and more compelled to play just cause the name fit so well despite the name being connected to a not so great memory.

Edited by thepickstick
They're all named "That One". As in' date=' give me that one. I'll play that one. [/quote']

I use a similar approach and usually just call them by the name the manufacturer gave them. :idea::D

I figure that guitarists are more likely to know what I'm referring to if I say "why don't you try the Danelectro DC-12 on this track?" or "let's see if the SG sounds good here..." than if I tell them to pick up Ethel or Suzy and try it on the overdub. :lol:

• 2 years later...
  • Members

So, I just picked up another guitar She was white, blonde around the the head and neck and wearing a form fitting  g string among other things.  I  have yet to name her. I named my other guitars on food before reading up o  how to properly name a guitar.  I have an acoustic Ibanez EW series I call Butter, because it plays so smooth,  a black cherry Les Paul I call Merlot, because it will only improve with age, and I just acquired a white Ibanez Gio with a black fretboard and shark fin inlays. I don't have any ideas on what to name it. it's black and white and I bought it in a church parking lot.  Any nun names that sound unique or rebellious?