Problem with Tech 21 Trademark 60

Lizards???

• Members

Hi all,

I'm wondering if any amp gurus out there can help me diagnose a problem with my Tech 21. Sometimes while playing, usually after ten or twenty minutes, it will make a popping noise and go almost silent. Playing hard causes a slight muffled sound to come through, but other than that, no sound is made. When I turn the amp off after this happens, it will make another popping sound as it powers down. If I turn it back on without waiting a while, the same thing will happen again, only this time it pops and goes quiet almost immediately. Letting it cool down for a while buys more time.

Anyone ever have a similar problem? Any ideas what part is defective?

Thanks for any help. I appreciate it. I like this amp and hate to see it unusable.

• Members

Just a suggestion, take a short cable and run it from the effects send to the effects return and see if it stops the problem. My trademark did some funky stuff because those jacks started making intermittent contact.

• Members

Just a suggestion, take a short cable and run it from the effects send to the effects return and see if it stops the problem. My trademark did some funky stuff because those jacks started making intermittent contact.

Mine did too, and the Tech 21 guys told me to squirt a little contact cleaner in the send and return jacks and then plug and unplug a cable into them several times. I still have to do it every now and then, but it works.

OP: Don't hesitate to get in touch with Tech 21 - they were extremely responsive to my queries.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by fixintogo View Post
Mine did too, and the Tech 21 guys told me to squirt a little contact cleaner in the send and return jacks and then plug and unplug a cable into them several times. I still have to do it every now and then, but it works.

OP: Don't hesitate to get in touch with Tech 21 - they were extremely responsive to my queries.
Happened to mine too. . . It's a pretty common issue from everything I've read. Just spray some contact cleaner in the loop jacks, push a cable in and out 4 or 5 times and it will very likely be fine.

• 1 year later...
  • Members

Hi L,

I'm no guru but I had a similar problem with my brothers TM60 and my TM30. Because letting it "cool" seems to increase the time before failing it appears to point to the audio power amp as being the culprit. I have replaced the LM3876T in my brothers TM60 and the TDA2050 in my TM30 and the problem went away. These amps have notoriuosly poor heatsinking on the audio power chip mostly because the "Tab" on the power chip must be isolated from the grounded chassis, which these amps use to dissipate heat. As a result the audio power chip can run very hot, when the amp is used loud and long, and this can damage the chip causing the amp to behave as your amp does, IMO. If you can, or have an electronics saavy friend that can, then try replacing this part if the spray didn't do the trick. it will only cost you about 10 bone for the part and another 8 for shipping from Newark or Digikey. A lot less than an amp tech will charge, LOL!

Good Luck,

Dano

Archived