Telecasters ugly?

tennispro91

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

They're plain, but far from ugly, and can be very pretty with a nice blonde finish. There are plenty of old, retro guitars that were really fugly, and the Tele is not one of them.

Well... when I first saw a Tele, I thought it was ugly. I still don't think they're the best-looking guitars, but they're far from the worst. Some look really cool, though. For instance, this guitar:

72_telecaster_thinline.jpg

I'm really not a fan of the dolled up Deluxe/Thinline pickguard on a plain Tele body look. I know some people love them, but I think 95% of people who think Tele Deluxes look good are musicians.

• Members

I also think the Tele is one of those things that makes the player look good. It doesn't draw attention to the guitar much and just makes the player look like a serious player.

It also means that it generally looks better with someone holding it than it does on a stand.

I sometimes think that Les Pauls often outshine the ugly mofos that play them.

• Members

I also think the Tele is one of those things that makes the player look good. It doesn't draw attention to the guitar much and just makes the player look like a serious player.

It also means that it generally looks better with someone holding it than it does on a stand.

I agree with all of this.

There's beauty in simplicity, and a Telecaster's about as simple as you can get.

• Members

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Some people like 57 Chevs, some like Porsches (strats). Something appealing and "form follows function" about a tele. Seems little if anything was done to them to make them eye candy. A working man's guitar.

• Members

I'm really not a fan of the dolled up Deluxe/Thinline pickguard on a plain Tele body look. I know some people love them, but I think 95% of people who think Tele Deluxes look good are musicians.

I'd bet the percentage of people who think a Tele looks good period is largely made up of musicians.

• Members

I used to find them less attractive than stratocasters, but over the last few years, I have felt the opposite. I think I found the bridge plate a bit odd and rudimentary looking and the headstock seemed too puny. Now, having owned and played a tele properly for a few years, it looks natural and 'right'. These days, for me, the stratocaster appears plasticky by comparison.

It's amazing how your perception can shift 'aint it?

• Members

I like them. But I'm an older guy who grew up at a time when a handful of guitar heroes were probably playing teles. So that certainly helped their appeal. So maybe the acquired taste answer is the best one. But count me as one who thinks they look great.

• Members

I've felt an attraction to them since I first started playing. I don't have any now, but one of the best guitars I've played in the past some-odd years was a Tele slimline semi-hollowbody. Actually not very far removed from that 70s slimline someone posted earlier.

72_telecaster_thinline.jpg

Same finish and pickguard, but with the trad Tele pickup configuration.

Archived