The OFFICIAL Yamaholics thread.

bigfatmonkeyboy

• Members

I just got the guitar. I took it apart yesterday, the bridge pup is a GFS neovin, the neck is unlabeled. Both sound pretty good so far, I'll get to know the guitar and decide if they're keepers later. I like the guitar a lot so far, very good fit.

I wish it had the stock rails, I think they look cool.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

One of the complaints about the original Yamaha bridge rail pickup was that it was pretty weak....and it was. You may just be better off with what you have in there. Many folks changed the rail to a Duncan rail, retained the look but gained a lot of power.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Dmerge

View Post

They used them in the AES-800's as well.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTgv2-x3VH7PgLF3_pqp2p

That is actually the guitar I thought my Weddington was at first glance! AES models are more common. I'm sure the higher-end AES guitars are great but I am glad I was wrong this time.

BTW just got some new screws to replace the rusty ones on the guitar. Considering changing the tail piece, too. It is pitted and I am having a little bit of trouble getting it fully intonated. However, I do want to keep it as stock as possible. Decisions, decisions...

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by kr236rk

View Post

OMG what do they play like - crunch? tone? sustain?

The blonde one has a SD SH-4 and a Graphtech bridge. The red one has a SD Custom Custom in the bridge and a Musicap .047 capacitor. Both guitars are amazing. The blonde one has a fantastic mid gain "crunch" tone and I've been using it 99% of the time in my current band. For screaming hi-gain the red one will handle it in spades, but I have no problems plugging it in and using it for my current sound if I break a string on the other one. Right now I'm not using any effects at all. Just guitar, amp, cab without feeling I need anything else in the signal chain like compression or boost to "help" the tone. We recorded that way and did zero EQing to the guitar tracks afterwards. They came out fantastic, but part of that can be attributed to the amps and mics.

• Members

Nice!! I had one like the one on the left a few years ago. I traded an Epi SG400 for it. I have to say, top notch quality guitar that really played and sounded great. It was a bit heavy and I was having back problems back then and ended up selling it, bit I'd say it was up there with any Les Paul or Hamer (and I've had bunches).

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by XelderX

View Post

Here are my two Aes-620s. I love both of them, but I'm thinking of trading the red one for something semi-hollow.

guitars.jpg

Played a red one a while ago. Wanted to love it, but the overall tones from both pickups were too harsh to my ears. I was using ProCo Rat into Roland Cube's clean channel.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by KightTemplar

View Post

Played a red one a while ago. Wanted to love it, but the overall tones from both pickups were too harsh to my ears. I was using ProCo Rat into Roland Cube's clean channel.

I can understand that. Neither of mine match up well with my Maxon OD into the clean channel of my amp, but it could just be a pickup thing. Using the amp's gain stages though bring some really huge tones. I don't have any recordings of the blonde one and the new amp setup yet other than a few small riffs on my phone.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by XelderX

View Post

I can understand that. Neither of mine match up well with my Maxon OD into the clean channel of my amp, but it could just be a pickup thing. Using the amp's gain stages though bring some really huge tones. I don't have any recordings of the blonde one and the new amp setup yet other than a few small riffs on my phone.

Wow I am curious. Do you mean that the stock 620s usually sounds better with amp's gain? When I was trying the red one, My Rat's filter knob(tone for most pedals) was rolled off. I did not expect harsh tones coming out of a mahogany LP style guitar.

So you can imagine my surprise and eventually my disappointment......

• Members

This old Christies auction ad from 2008 had some info in it I hadn't heard before:

http://www.guitarsite.com/news/guita...p_for_auction/

"On the 24th of November Christie's will be auctioning a Yamaha SG1000 electric guitar owned and played by Bob Marley during the reggae superstar's final worldwide tour in 1979. Marley was presented with the guitar when he and Wailers were invited to visit the Yamaha factory in Hamamatsu during the Tokyo leg of their tour.

After receiving the guitar, Marley played it at the following venues: April 10, Nakano Sun Plaza Hall, Tokyo (2 Shows); April 11, Kosei Nenkin Main Hall, Osaka; and April 13, Festival Hall, Osaka.

The guitar includes both the original strap and carrying case. Pictures of Marley playing the guitar are included with the lot. Christie's estimates bidding will fall within the US$30,000 to US$40,000 range.

For more information, please visit www.christies.com"

Sorry if this is common knowledge, but I had never heard of Bob Marley being associated with Yamaha's.

And isn't a little cheap of Yamaha to give him a 1000 model? Couldn't they have splurged a bit on a 2000, or even 3000?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by KightTemplar

View Post

...you mean that the stock 620s usually sounds better with amp's gain? When I was trying the red one, My Rat's filter knob(tone for most pedals) was rolled off. I did not expect harsh tones coming out of a mahogany LP style guitar.

So you can imagine my surprise and eventually my disappointment......

if i had a split goldie-beige 620 & the sound wasn't quite at the sweet spot i'd be tempted to lavish a pair of out-phase Manalishi's on her, or a pair of Bareknucklers love.gif

bet Marley loved his 1000 though wink.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Moot

View Post

And isn't a little cheap of Yamaha to give him a 1000 model? Couldn't they have splurged a bit on a 2000, or even 3000?

In 1979? No...the 3000 didn`t come out...if I remember correctly from the Japanese guitar magazine I have from that year...until 1982...not sure about the 2000, I`d have to check. Nothing wrong with the 1000, it`s a fine guitar.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Moot

View Post

I don't know but it would seem out of character for B. Marley to show up with a 3000. Isn't he an LP special type player?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by guedzilla

View Post

Hello everyone.

My name is Daniel and I haven't bought a Yamaha for uh... 2 days.

Good to meet other addicts wink.gif

Welcome to the fold, Guedzilla!

What Yamie's do you have?

• Members

View Post

Strange, they should be listed on my signature...

The list goes: CPX700, SF700, SG3000, AE2000 and my last aquisition, which I'm still trying to figure if it is an AE1200, AE1200S or AE1200SII.

dsc02053ja.jpg

Sexy beasts, indeed.

• Members

View Post

Strange, they should be listed on my signature...

The list goes: CPX700, SF700, SG3000, AE2000 and my last aquisition, which I'm still trying to figure if it is an AE1200, AE1200S or AE1200SII.

dsc02053ja.jpg

Oh my goodness! Those are just beautiful!

Do they both have floating bridges? Or are they pinned? I've never had the opportunity to see either of those in person.

(Of course, I hadn't seen any of my Yamahas in person until they arrived. They've all been ordered based on my faith in Yamaha alone.)

Damn, I thought my Yamaha GAS was over. Does anyone have an AE2000 for sale? wink.gif

• Members

They're both floating. The main difference between them is that the 2000 has a carved top, as opposed to the 1200. I'm still trying to figure out if the left one is a 1200 (as written on the sticker inside the body), a 1200S (as per truss-rod cover) or a 1200SII (as written on the back of the pickups). My guess so far is it's a 1200SII, assuming it replaced the 1200 on the end of the 80's, thus no carved top.

I just changed the bridge on that to a tune-o-matic that came with it, and the sound improved drastically. Altough that's probably mostly because the strings were too low before that.

We don't get many Yamahas around here, mostly low-end Pacificas and some SGs. I was lucky to find a SG3000 some years ago... never saw one for sale again.

And this AE's I got with less than a month of difference... bought the 2000 then a few weeks or days later the 1200 showed up on our local Ebay... and I had just the cash to grab it (sort of... it was originally destined to pay some family debts, but oh well...)