Gibson/Baldwin "Signature Series" guitar: Worst Idea Ever?

golias

• Members

Elias Graves wrote:

There is no hubby. It's one of HC's newly minted paid posters. They're always dredging up five year old threads for some reason.

New member+old thread=shenanigans.

I suspect this HC plant is not even from North America but judging from the poor syntax used in the post, from some Asian tech center.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

**Gibson SG Signature Series (Les Paul) Electric Guitar** - $400

CRAIGSLIST

EDIT: Sadly, this item is no longer available...the Craigslist ad has been removed.

EDIT:  This is not mine...   Posted this for those with a sense of humor.... or $400 they just don't need.

• 6 years later...
  • Members
On 12/27/2009 at 9:40 AM, golias said:

I sure hope that was all pro bono....otherwise, that poor bastard just threw good money after bad.

I charged him a few bucks (nothing like what a pro tech would charge him. This is my hobby.)

When I was done with it, it played like BUTTER. I spent a ton of time on the frets & the nut, I got the intonation set really nice, I cleaned up the electronics a bit, and I dropped in a pickup upgrade (JB/Jazz).

Before you say, "a set of Duncans in that POS!?" let me just say this:

1. He got the guitar as a gift and really wanted to make the best of it for a couple years.

2. I caught them on sale.

3. I gave him back his old pickups in a box when I was done. When he's ready to step up to an Agile or Epiphone or whatever, he can drop the old pups back into the cheapie and keep the Duncans to upgrade his next guitar. Heck, I'll probably do the swap for free. The control cavity was really easy to work in so I can probably do it in a matter of minutes.

Sooner or later some of the cheap hardware on that thing is going to drive him nuts. Either the frets will wear out way too fast, or the cheap jackplate will go bad, or who-knows-what. But for a couple of years, he's got a guitar that plays as well as pretty much any Epiphone off the shelf and has a rather nice tone to it as well.

This is what I do. I rehabilitate guitars. I am... the turd whisperer. :cool:

He he he he, Love It!! What a self-less, dedicated-to-the-art, wonderful, altruistic thing you did.  By giving that li'l handicapped baby, of Mr. Gibson and Mrs. Baldwin, a good wash n wax, a fine tune-up, with some performance parts, always in the interest of performance and possible future (for the player, for the instruments)......shows you character - WAY TO GO!!  Turd Whisperer - Guitar Worshiper!!                           

• 7 months later...
  • Members

Does anyone know when the Gibson & Baldwin Signature Series guitars were produced? By that I mean when was it first released, and when did production/selling stop?

Also, anyone know what they originally sold for new in department stores?

• Moderators

Gibson acquired Baldwin in 2001, and they opened their own factory in China in 2007. IIRC, mid-2005 was when Gibson announced the line of 'affordable' Gibson by Baldwin models. The 'Epoch' [Les Paul style with 1-T/1-V] retailed under $100 when it came out ~2007. IIRC, Walmart carried them. Plywood body, bolt neck. Not as good as a Sonex...:facepalm:

Some history...and odd stuff...

Baldwin was a well know piano and organ manufacturer for many years. Baldwin bought out Burns Guitars[british] in the mid 1960s, mainly because they were outbid by CBS when they tried to buy Fender. They wanted to capitalize on the British Invasion, and failing to get Leo's biz, they went for British guitars...not a terrible idea, except most known bands from the UK were trading in their Burns and Vox for Fenders, Gibsons and Rickenbackers. About the most famous Burns user was Hank Marvin, a relative unknown in the US [he was known to favor the Burns Bison model]. Burns was in deep debt, and Baldwin got them dirt cheap, mainly just paying off the debt and buying out the inventory.

Burns used a specially formulated polyester finish on their guitars, due mainly to the climate of the UK. When the Burns manufactured instruments were first imported to the US [Arkansas] for 'rebranding' as Baldwins, the finish, in some cases, literally burst off the wood! I remember reading that they hired a guy to refin the guitars that came in damaged, and that he never kept up with the volume. Job security...

Baldwin eventually gave up on electric guitars from UK, modified the designs [standardized headstocks, more typical controls], but not without doing some experimenting, so there are some mixed versions of Baldwin/Burns hardware models still out in the world.

• 2 months later...
  • Members
On 12/26/2009 at 9:38 PM, JMR said:

Who cares? Most big brands have a department store edition of their models.

I agree. The guitar sounds completely reasonable. Yes its a bit simple but i believe that this guitar has a very mainstream tone, and it isn't half bad.

Ive been playing guitar for 13 years, and I'm 25 years old.

• 1 month later...
  • Members
On 10/14/2020 at 10:28 PM, Tyson145 said:

Does anyone know when the Gibson & Baldwin Signature Series guitars were produced? By that I mean when was it first released, and when did production/selling stop?

Also, anyone know what they originally sold for new in department stores?

They were sold for one year. That was in 2007. I don't have a clue what the price was but If it was for music education in schools I'm sure they charged the school/parents/tax payers a pretty penny all in the name of music.

I sure they also we're told they were Gibson guitars and that's why the cost was do high but then went on to say Gibson Is s legendary brand and these will last for generations to come.

The one's that were sold next to the First Acts at Walmart etc. I'm sure we're set up just right to make sure any kid walking bye saw "GIBSON" then begged, promised, and swore up and down he would practice every day...bla, bls, bla. Until the "chrome"started peeling and all the rest of the flaws started showing. Even worse would be a friend coming in that played guitar and knew his {censored}. The kid with the Baldwin be quit playing that day...lol.

Archived