Snare Drums and Ride Cymbals for the Blues

BluesBro

• Members

You can always check out the cymbal sites to see what a lot of the R&B players are using.

Sabian has genre cymbal recommendations up at their site:

http://www.sabian.com/page.php?subsection=cymbals&page=genre_setups&sideId=199&genre=360

I'm in a blues band myself and pretty much favor Zildjian A's. The older the better. :)

As for snares, there's such a wide variety that it's hard to know which to get. I'm currently shopping for a new kit, and I've been looking pretty hard at the Tama Starclassic Performers and Pearl Master's Stuido BRX. Both are birch kits and have birch snares.

I guess a lot of traditionists would insist on a good maple, so it depends on your own personal taste, as well as choice of heads and type of snares.

-bruce

• Members

I have used a Tama StarClassic for a pretty good blues thing,, but IMHO,, a 5x14 Black Beauty would be the ultimate...

as far as rides goes,, I'm still looking,, I have a 24" med thin A Zildjian, and before that, I had a 24" med...,, and it's close,,,, maybe it just needs sizzle rivets in it,,,,

I might give some jazz rides a listen though, or the Constantinople Big Band ride,,, , to see if I can find something closer to what I hear in my head...

I want more sizzle, and stick definition, and a bright, light wash...

on the brighter side though,, I HAVE found the ultimate kick drum,,,, I have started using a 28" mahogany Slingerland Radio King,, and it's definately the real thing for blues and jazz... :eek:

:D

• Members

Originally posted by MoosBros

I have used a Tama StarClassic for a pretty good blues thing,, but IMHO,, a 5x14 Black Beauty would be the ultimate...

as far as rides goes,, I'm still looking,, I have a 24" med thin A Zildjian, and before that, I had a 24" med...,, and it's close,,,, maybe it just needs sizzle rivets in it,,,,

I might give some jazz rides a listen though, or the Constantinople Big Band ride,,, , to see if I can find something closer to what I hear in my head...

I want more sizzle, and stick definition, and a bright, light wash...

on the brighter side though,, I HAVE found the ultimate kick drum,,,, I have started using a 28" mahogany Slingerland Radio King,, and it's definately the real thing for blues and jazz...
:eek:

:D

28" ...holy crap.... lucky...

• Members

Originally posted by
bluesbro

Thanks for all the replys!! Very good information to start my search this weekend. I have Tama Superstars. Probably mid 70"s. Natural, clear lacquer, 12,14,16 " toms. 24" kick.

I had been using a Slingerland/Tama Artstar mix,,,,22/13/16... but I've been deleting the rack tom and floor tom with the 28",, and just using a snare with it.... eventually, if I can find some, I may add a couple of mahogany floor toms,,, a 16" and 18".. but, really the kick and snare are all you really need for blues.:D

Archived