Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
BluesBro

Snare Drums and Ride Cymbals for the Blues

Recommended Posts

Blues drummer here looking to upgrade my snare drum and ride cymbol. Looking for any suggestions as to what specific snares and cymbals I should check out. What do you think? Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can always check out the cymbal sites to see what a lot of the R&B players are using.

 

Sabian has genre cymbal recommendations up at their site:

http://www.sabian.com/page.php?subsection=cymbals&page=genre_setups&sideId=199&genre=360

 

I'm in a blues band myself and pretty much favor Zildjian A's. The older the better. :)

 

As for snares, there's such a wide variety that it's hard to know which to get. I'm currently shopping for a new kit, and I've been looking pretty hard at the Tama Starclassic Performers and Pearl Master's Stuido BRX. Both are birch kits and have birch snares.

 

I guess a lot of traditionists would insist on a good maple, so it depends on your own personal taste, as well as choice of heads and type of snares.

 

-bruce

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

go to your nearest pawn shop...occasionally (at leat around here) they have great vintage cymbals, specifically rides...if youre lucky. i could go get a 24" thin for $50 right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

anything maple, and has few plies. like a good 6 ply would be nice. something big and deep too. like a 14x6.5.

 

cymbal wise, why not a good ol Zildjian K Custom Dark 20" ride? big, bold and beautiful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have used a Tama StarClassic for a pretty good blues thing,, but IMHO,, a 5x14 Black Beauty would be the ultimate...

 

as far as rides goes,, I'm still looking,, I have a 24" med thin A Zildjian, and before that, I had a 24" med...,, and it's close,,,, maybe it just needs sizzle rivets in it,,,,

 

I might give some jazz rides a listen though, or the Constantinople Big Band ride,,, , to see if I can find something closer to what I hear in my head...

 

I want more sizzle, and stick definition, and a bright, light wash...

 

on the brighter side though,, I HAVE found the ultimate kick drum,,,, I have started using a 28" mahogany Slingerland Radio King,, and it's definately the real thing for blues and jazz... :eek:

 

:D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally posted by MoosBros

I have used a Tama StarClassic for a pretty good blues thing,, but IMHO,, a 5x14 Black Beauty would be the ultimate...


as far as rides goes,, I'm still looking,, I have a 24" med thin A Zildjian, and before that, I had a 24" med...,, and it's close,,,, maybe it just needs sizzle rivets in it,,,,


I might give some jazz rides a listen though, or the Constantinople Big Band ride,,, , to see if I can find something closer to what I hear in my head...


I want more sizzle, and stick definition, and a bright, light wash...


on the brighter side though,, I HAVE found the ultimate kick drum,,,, I have started using a 28" mahogany Slingerland Radio King,, and it's definately the real thing for blues and jazz...
:eek:

:D

28" ...holy crap.... lucky...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally posted by ollie


28" ...holy crap.... lucky...

 

 

 

call me old fashioned if you must,,,, but,, IMHO,, anything less would be........ well........ uncivilized !!! :eek:

 

:D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for all the replys!! Very good information to start my search this weekend. I have Tama Superstars. Probably mid 70"s. Natural, clear lacquer, 12,14,16 " toms. 24" kick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally posted by MoosBros





call me old fashioned if you must,,,, but,, IMHO,, anything less would be........ well........ uncivilized !!!
:eek:

:D

hahaha funny man you are:D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally posted by
bluesbro

Thanks for all the replys!! Very good information to start my search this weekend. I have Tama Superstars. Probably mid 70"s. Natural, clear lacquer, 12,14,16 " toms. 24" kick.

 

I had been using a Slingerland/Tama Artstar mix,,,,22/13/16... but I've been deleting the rack tom and floor tom with the 28",, and just using a snare with it.... eventually, if I can find some, I may add a couple of mahogany floor toms,,, a 16" and 18".. but, really the kick and snare are all you really need for blues.:D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...