Why do you guys HATE DJs so much???

MersyOne

• Members

Dude, I'm getting ganged-on in the "MUSIC BIZ" section.

The subject posted is, "Why do you guys HATE DJs so much???" and I only posted it cuz I noticed that when I post a new thread it would GO OFF SUBJECT and start to get negative in how the concept of djing is bull{censored}! I probably shouldn't have started it cuz it seems I got alot of people angry. For that I apologize!!!

But, if any DJs out there have an opinion on this I can sure use your help???

(being that I'm the only dj on there seems like.)

It's in under the 'MUSIC BIZ" section.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by progrules

Cause they pretend to be musicians
:D

A majority of guitarist are musicians. I would say about 80% cant read sheet music and only read tab... A monkey can play guitar givin enough practice..

Yes dj's are not musicians. but some of the turntable guy can do some pretty amazing musical stuff.. And a majority of guitar players can do nothing but play other people's music via tab..

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Originally posted by MersyOne

Dude, I'm getting ganged-on in the "MUSIC BIZ" section.

The subject posted is, "Why do you guys HATE DJs so much???" and I only posted it cuz I noticed that when I post a new thread it would GO OFF SUBJECT and start to get negative in how the concept of djing is bull{censored}! I probably shouldn't have started it cuz it seems I got alot of people angry. For that I apologize!!!

But, if any DJs out there have an opinion on this I can sure use your help???

(being that I'm the only dj on there seems like.)

It's in under the 'MUSIC BIZ" section.

Looks like your posting in the wrong forum.

www.futureproducers.com

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I don't hate you guys but do me just 1 favor... get rid of those medley tracks where that have about 15 secs each of some great classics. Either play the damn songs or don't. That' my firend is one way DJs can show some respect for the music.

• Members

Originally posted by MersyOne

NICE ONE!!!

(whoa, all 3 huh?)

Not all at once, or I would have been mondo famous instantly ;) Yeah, I DJ, I have two synths and I picked up the guitar when I was 13.

Originally posted by pdiddy

I don't hate you guys but do me just 1 favor... get rid of those medley tracks where that have about 15 secs each of some great classics. Either play the damn songs or don't. That' my firend is one way DJs can show some respect for the music.

Sure, but only if you promise to stop doing Kylie Minogue covers with drummers who can't keep a beat to save their lives. And have your bassists process their tone.. raw bass imitating synth bass = ugly as sin.

V.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Originally posted by keka

probly because they are just a bunch of old farts that dont understand electronic or hiphop music.....

I see DJing as an artform

I see the producer that makes the music for the DJ a musician

Being an "old fart" doesn't mean you can't understand electronic & hiphop "music". I understand it, which means I see them for the shallow imitation of music they really are.

Fun to bounce around to I'm sure but music?

:wave:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

This is in reply to your post.First of all,noone has the right to hate what anyone else does,as long as it does no harm.If you recall,the CD failed to revive the music business,and then sampling came along and changed the game.In the meanwhile,records were being made with the material of others,and not just for hiphop,for television/cable and other venues.Many of these artists sold all of ten records,with five of them in their living room,and I know this because I wade thru them all the time while crate digging.You have seen them before,those 'real' musicians whose records sell for $.25-$1,and sometimes the shop owner will give you crates of them for free.

I know we are not talking about the talent aspect,because I studied piano,and sang professionally,as many djs/mcs have,although we don't run around blabbling about it.Besides,I want to see all the so-called 'purists' go and beat juggle,scratch,and mix time signatures to create a seamless mix.We do not have the pleasure of a drummer or metronome to keep us on beat.All I have to say is,a skill is a skill,respect ours and I will continue to respect your's.

• 3 months later...
  • Members

Originally posted by keka

I see DJing as an artform

I see the producer that makes the music for the DJ a musician

I tend to agree with this statement. I also agree the amount of skill it takes to seemlessly make a flowing continous mix is pretty high.

I use to work at a radio station and was a DJ in th traditional sense and had my own radio show. There were a lot of Djs around and one I knew pretty well, who talked to me about trying to get all this DJ stuff down, match everything and so forth. Showed me some stuff and it really does take skill.

I see DJs as an 'Experience' for people. They give people a pleasuable experience of listening to good songs and making it one continuous musical peice. They are not traditional musicians, although when Djs scratch records then that starts to cross the line into musician territory; to me that's more synonymous with percussionists like someone who plays the bongos.

It is an art form like music is. But it's a skill for people to witness and have the experience of listening and dancing to.

(This is my first post in the DJ section) I think it would be really cool to DJ your own music and rock a club to it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I'm so sick of know-it-all rock n' roll douchebags. Rock's dead bitches! Seriously and honestly there's a lot to djing as an artform and so much can be applied to the concept. I used to play guitar and my step dad still does. He doesn't knock what I do, because as he puts it, he'd have a hard time just turning everything on. Preening pretentious rockers can take their BS elsewhere.

Ps when detroit starts throwing a three day rock party like they do for dj's, the asswhipes might have an arguement I'll listen to.;)

• Members

Originally posted by ctardi

We hate them because they pretend to be live sound guys.
:)

I dont like anyone with a SONIC MAXIMIZER in their rack

But i think you DJs are cool. It takes alot of talent to do the stuff you do. I feel bad for good DJs who are stereotyped to be loud,

driver-blowing hacks who cant stop till every red light is blinkin'

• Members

There Are many, many different art forms, and DJing is a major art form...Having said that, there are great musicians, bad musicians, and everything in between, some getting paid, some not. Same with every art form from Alternative to Zydeco. I think we diminish ourselves with stale arguments (which, by the way, this forum is very civil compared to some I've seen). I think everyone here is intelligent, insightful and respectful, so I look forward to seeing more posts. I started off as a dj, then learned the keyboard, songwriting and production/engineering, which I currently do now. With every facet of this industry I've been in, each has its own art, depending of course on whether an artful approach is taken LOL...Peace, All...

PS I have a quick tech ? I'm producing a House track using Reason and Pro Tools, but I have a Salsa audio sample from CD I'm trying to match BPMs with...Anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance

Archived